LGC 109 RE announced

Just now, NSXCIGAR said:

Yeah, these seem to be coming down a bit recently. I guess these haven't moved that quickly towards the end. The pricing on them was atrocious to be sure. I don't know what HSA was thinking, although they will probably all move in the end.

The RA Nuevo Mundo can be had for less and that one just hit the shelves, is a much more popular marca and vitola and a Costa Rica release is a much less accessible region than Asia. 

The pricing on these ERs is just all over the place.

HSA doesnt set regional pricing. The distributors do. When you consider the “Lucky number 8” branding of the cigar and the buying habits of the largest country/market in the Asia pacific region nosebleed pricing makes perfect sense. I agree though, PCC aimed a bit high with this one. 

• Like 1

Agreed.  I'd rather have four times as many regular production cigars vs the regional ed's.  

Yeah I gave up on RE lately too. The price is just too high for the random quality variance. I have had many regular production outperform regionals. Don’t get me wrong some regionals are really good, others not so much. But the higher price is consistent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, Corylax18 said:

HSA doesnt set regional pricing. The distributors do. When you consider the “Lucky number 8” branding of the cigar and the buying habits of the largest country/market in the Asia pacific region nosebleed pricing makes perfect sense. I agree though, PCC aimed a bit high with this one. 

I'm not disagreeing, but HSA must charge the distributors something. There is a base cost to the distributors--a floor price essentially. The price the distributors pay for each release must vary quite a bit. A, say, Bolivar Tesoros is going to cost a distrubutor much more than a QdO Secretos for example.

I can believe that HSA's price to PCC for the 88 would be much lower than the average price of $170-180 one would pay today and that the bulk of that price is PCC. But again, there is a net cost to distributors for each release and until that's known there's no way to know whether it's HSA or the distributors' costs that are the primary drivers of the retail price. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Corylax18 said:

HSA doesnt set regional pricing. The distributors do.

Not exactly. Distributors can only set pricing when they know the final price from HSA. But otherwise I agree, in the case of the RG88 a large share will have been set by PCC with the Chinese market in close focus. I suspect there will have been a huge (>>100 %) upcharge.

Always wondering about the PCC regional pricing, which is often ridiculously asking. Look around. Most European REs are not deviating much from comparable regular production pricing, perhaps, if at all, slightly above. Otherwise I'd not buy them. In the end it's all tobacco, isn't it? I don't care about the plate attached to the box, needs to be a good cigar.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
Guest Nekhyludov
8 hours ago, awkwardPause said:

Any updates on these? It’s been just over a month since the last post, so I’m curious if anyone can now comment on how these are looking and/or smoking. Box code/factories? I find that I just can’t say no to a good 109...

• 5 weeks later...

Bought a fiver of these at another site. Waited 10 days in the wineador. Then I smoked one. It was like an MDO2 on steroids. The stonefruit took me back to the MDO2's (which unfortunately only have two left from an 11 box). Took 2.5 hours to smoke. And what a 2.5 hour pleasurable smoke it was. Good draw, lot's of aromatic smoke. I don't know if I will be able to keep my hands off these.

• Like 1