another clickbait list of the best american whiskies...

Ken Gargett

The Best Break-the-Bank American Whiskeys

Contributed by Liquor.com

Posted on Nov 05, 2018

Slide 1 (photo illustration: Laura Sant)

You know who knows best which bottles to buy? The people who pour and sell drinks—that’s who. We asked dozens of top bartending and spirits industry professionals to tell us which bottles they love and why.

Heads up: The numerical order below is not organized by importance or quality; it’s an alphabetical list, not a ranking. Prices are averages and can vary from state to state.

Slide 2

“It's a beer drinker's whiskey, and I mean that in a good way—light and flavorful.”—Patrick Marran, bartender at New York City's On the Rocks

Advertisement

Slide 3

“It’s odd and funky. I recommend it for those looking for a whiskey that’s unexpected or for craft beer fans.”—Mike Strohm, lead bartender at Kansas City, Mo.'s The W

Slide 4

“If you ever have a friend that thinks they don't like rye neat, here’s how you convince them easily, smoothly and not at all smugly.”—Nathaniel David Smith, bartender at St. Paul, Minn.'s Hodges Bend and ambassador for Teeling Irish whiskey

Slide 5

“If you can find it, it will be sure to please the American whiskey lover in your life. Known for its limited releases, this whiskey is delicious as many of its others have been, and although it’s a very spicy rye, it’s still very easy to drink and behaves as a spirit with a much lower proof than stated on the bottle.”—Jamie Boudreau, owner of and bartender at Seattle's Canon

Slide 6

“A spicy kick in the pants? Yes, please.”—Adam Fortuna, assistant general manager and sommelier at Grand Rapids, Mich.'s Reserve Wine & Food

Slide 7

“It’s Rittenhouse on steroids but so much more tasty.”—Fortuna

Slide 8

“Choosing not to have any corn will throw off a hardcore Bourbon fan but it's worth it if you see this on the shelf.”—Marran

Slide 9

8: Stranahan's Original ($58)

“It’s smooth, like butter in your mouth.”—Jose Medina Camacho, bar manager at Birmingham, Ala.'s Marble Ring

Slide 10

“I enjoy American malts, and this one is fairly new and definitely a smooth sipper.”—Marran

Slide 11

10: Thomas H. Handy Sazerac ($500)

“It’s quite possibly one of the best whiskeys I've enjoyed. That's it and that's all.”—Smith

Slide 12

11: Westland Sherry Wood ($75)

“I think Westland is making some of the best American single-malt whiskey, period.”—Fortuna

Slide 13

“Even though most of the WhistlePig sold until now has actually come from a Canadian distillery, this is part of its series of releases that features whiskey distilled from its own Vermont rye and aged in Vermont oak barrels. It’s truly a unique whiskey that will be one-of-a-kind forever.”—Chaim Dauermann, co-owner at New York City's Stay Gold

Slide 14

13: WhistlePig The Boss Hog ($400)

“Do you really, really, really love someone? This once-in-a-lifetime whiskey is for best friends and special occasions.”—Smith

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
21 hours ago, unitedfly said:

I've heard really good things about the Boss Hog, but have yet to see it anywhere near me.

I bought a bottle of boss hog in 2016 for considerably less than what they cost now. It's a good pour if you like barrel proof whiskey, but not at $400 per bottle. I do prefer it over Handy however.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I was raised in the bluegrass state mear miles from some of the largest names in bourbon whiskey and not a single item on this list is in my liquor cabinet.  Honestly, for the money, I’d pass on everything on this list for a nice bottle of Kentucky bourbon.   Knob Creek or, if you’re looking to spend a few more dollars, Booker.