HdM le Hoyo du Prince (discontinued) TOR JUN 16 (UK BOX PASS)

99call

This cigar was kindly offered up by Akela3rd in the UK box pass. 

A lovely looking cigar with a deep colorado, with a touch of rosado

Aroma cold, is a great sweet musty woodsy leather. 

1st 3rd,     So! this has me a bit perplexed as I would swear I was smoking an SCDLH of some sort, it's sort of what I would love the Principe's to be.   It's got a lovely forest floor/leaf litter, with an umami dark manuka sweetness. with none of that metallic egginess that i find in SCDLH Principe's.   

Sweet and salty on the lips, great burn and oodles of smoke,  but strangely not getting any HDM through this, just goes to show, judge a cigar on it's own merits with no preconceptions. 

2nd 3rd,  A lot woodier now, and touches of vanilla.   This is like HDM and SCDLH vying with each other.  One second white woods, then wet bark. One second molasses/manuka then vanilla...       Slight buttery nuttiness heading into the final third

3rd 3rd, Really nice musty perfumey end to this.  forest floor, sweet, slight aftertaste of old sweetshop aniseed balls.   I very rarely see any need to nub cigars, but enjoyed getting my fingertips a little scorched with this. 

Conclusion.    Pretty enigmatic cigar, In retrospect, I wish i'd never never had a HDM or SCDLH before so I could of just enjoyed the cigar without thinking about it. Very enjoyable, and If principes smoked like this, I would by more boxes.   Hard job rating this cigar, as I feel as if I didn't do it justice, by focusing on it so much.  To me floating somewhere between 89-91

Cheers mate, lovely smoke

DSC00700.JPG

DSC00703.JPG

DSC00707.JPG

• Like 3

Glad you liked it Stefan. I had my first one out of this box when I put that one in the box pass and the rest I'm leaving. For how long I don't know, they're a confusing little beast and I'm interested to see where they'll go. There's nothing like a cigar being discontinued to make sure you leave them alone though...

Sent from my ActionMan walkie-talkie

10 minutes ago, Akela3rd said:

There's nothing like a cigar being discontinued to make sure you leave them alone though

Yep, The saddest thing is that the Hoyo du line were all so different and defined from each other. If they would of been like for like, I would of said yep, trim the line, but it's a travesty.    San Juan!!! De Rio Seco???    two words   'Dog eggs'!!    or  le Hoyo du oeufs de chien

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...