MoeFOH

Pulp Fiction...

Recommended Posts

Have you ever seen Four Rooms? If you liked Pulp Fiction... You will absolutely love it!

Four Rooms (1995)

Summaries

  • Four interlocking tales that take place in a fading hotel on New Year's Eve.

    This movie features the collaborative directorial efforts of four new filmmakers, each of whom directs a segment of this comedy. It's New Year's Eve at the Mon Signor Hotel, a former grand old Hollywood hotel, now fallen upon hard times. Often using physical comedy and sight gags, this movie chronicles the slapstick misadventures of Ted, the Bellhop. He's on his first night on the job, when he's asked to help out a coven of witches in the Honeymoon Suite. Things only get worse when he delivers ice to the wrong room and ends up in a domestic argument at a really bad time. Next, he foolishly agrees to watch a gangster's kids for him while he's away. Finally, he finishes off the night refereeing a ghastly wager.
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, raymond5737 said:

Have you ever seen Four Rooms? If you liked Pulp Fiction... You will absolutely love it!

Four Rooms (1995)

Summaries

  • Four interlocking tales that take place in a fading hotel on New Year's Eve.

    This movie features the collaborative directorial efforts of four new filmmakers, each of whom directs a segment of this comedy. It's New Year's Eve at the Mon Signor Hotel, a former grand old Hollywood hotel, now fallen upon hard times. Often using physical comedy and sight gags, this movie chronicles the slapstick misadventures of Ted, the Bellhop. He's on his first night on the job, when he's asked to help out a coven of witches in the Honeymoon Suite. Things only get worse when he delivers ice to the wrong room and ends up in a domestic argument at a really bad time. Next, he foolishly agrees to watch a gangster's kids for him while he's away. Finally, he finishes off the night refereeing a ghastly wager.

Wow. No, unless my memory's getting really shoddy (totally possible), I don't think I've ever heard of that. Thanks for the tip! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, raymond5737 said:

Have you ever seen Four Rooms? If you liked Pulp Fiction... You will absolutely love it!

Four Rooms (1995)

Summaries

  • Four interlocking tales that take place in a fading hotel on New Year's Eve.

    This movie features the collaborative directorial efforts of four new filmmakers, each of whom directs a segment of this comedy. It's New Year's Eve at the Mon Signor Hotel, a former grand old Hollywood hotel, now fallen upon hard times. Often using physical comedy and sight gags, this movie chronicles the slapstick misadventures of Ted, the Bellhop. He's on his first night on the job, when he's asked to help out a coven of witches in the Honeymoon Suite. Things only get worse when he delivers ice to the wrong room and ends up in a domestic argument at a really bad time. Next, he foolishly agrees to watch a gangster's kids for him while he's away. Finally, he finishes off the night refereeing a ghastly wager.

Yes.  Very funny film. Been watching it a couple times a year for probably 20 years.  Love “the misbehavers”. 😂🤣

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All-time favorite for me too.  While all the other elements listed are top notch, I'd say the screen play is the best part of the whole movie.  So many quotable scenes.... "look, maybe your method of massage differs from mine..."

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hard to quote this movie because of the Samuel L Jackson element.  At one point (and maybe still) I could quote every line in the movie.

I think 'Snatch' is a very close 2nd.

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, bmf30180 said:

Hard to quote this movie because of the Samuel L Jackson element.  At one point (and maybe still) I could quote every line in the movie.

I think 'Snatch' is a very close 2nd.

 

Indeed. Was thinking that the expletives would make quoting tricky here. : )

Snatch is a great flick, too. Can never decide whether I like it better than Lock Stock... Both great movies. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Chepe said:

All-time favorite for me too.  While all the other elements listed are top notch, I'd say the screen play is the best part of the whole movie.  So many quotable scenes.... "look, maybe your method of massage differs from mine..."

Agreed. Absolute gold. "Ain't no ... ballpark neither..." 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

stood next to uma T in the reception of the hotel nacional a few years back (by chance, we were having a spot the celebrity comp on that trip and at that stage, merls was winning with saffy from ab fab - at this point, it was all over).

i can assure you that in real life, she is even more extraordinary. not sure that the same could be said for saffy. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Top 5 movie for me. Definitely stands apart because the acting seems so natural. Jules and Vincent legitimately seem like 2 buddies from back in the day with their banter. 

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tis good.   

And good movies are harder and harder to come by 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One of the few movies that can be watched more than once (intentionally)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now your talkin' my language! This film changed the game. So many people tried to imitate the stylistic language and cinematography after it came out. IMO it was robbed of so many academy awards that year. The scene where Vincent Vega (Travolta) gets high and is driving to pick up his date for the evening is pure gold. This is also a film that you can have going in the background while giving your attention to your daily tasks and you'll still enjoy it.

This movie has definitely stood the test of time. I love to see that young people appreciate this movie. I overheard some kids at my local coffee shop talking about it just the other day.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MoeFOH said:

Indeed. Was thinking that the expletives would make quoting tricky here. : )

Snatch is a great flick, too. Can never decide whether I like it better than Lock Stock... Both great movies. 

Imo lock stock is better.  Both great flicks tho.  Just watched snatch a few weeks ago.  Brad Pitt was such a bad ass in that 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pulp fiction is a classic.  I also enjoy the film Layer Cake with Daniel Craig.  Lots of drugs and violence, but more of a gangster genre. If you haven’t seen it, check it out. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, MoeFOH said:

I can't think of another movie, in my lifetime, that was such a game-changer and completely redesigned the landscape of what a film could be. It's the Dark Side Of The Moon of films for me (no pun intended about the sodomy scene). 

Do you agree? If not, what are your landmark classics?

i agree, absolute game-changer, particularly in my lifetime. there are a bunch of landmark movies which are crap (it is a business after all), but pulp fiction is solid.

i remember watching it before it had wide release and you had to see it in “indie” theaters, and i distinctly remember people walking out during the rape scene and the overdose scene. this film mainstreamed some pretty graphic stuff, for the better and worse.

there are far better movies out there, and more influential ones too, but few brought those two elements together like pulp fiction.

-dobbs

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just so happens my name is Brad. And, yes, I have a big brain. Check it out.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another thing that made this movie so good was the soundtrack. Every scene seemed to have the perfect music for what was going on. From Strawberry Letter 23 playing subtly in the background as Vincent and Jules walk and talk casually through a typical valley apartment building to The Revels Comanche blasting during the violent scene unfolding in the basement of a seemingly nondescript pawn shop. Very well thought out pairings.

I personally credit the film for reviving people's interest in surf music and not so mainstream R&B tunes in the '90s much like the movie Swingers revived people's interest in swing, big band, and introduced a whole new generation to Sinatra.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

True Romance is right up there with Pulp Fiction. I can't say one is better than the other.  Tell me that the scene where Christopher Walken shoots Dennis Hopper isn't as good as anything Tarantino has done.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

Community Software by Invision Power Services, Inc.