R&J Sports Largos & Petit Julietas

Burningman

So I have been browsing the various cheap and cheerful threads for information on small smokes. The Sports Largos vitola is really nice but most cigars in this general size seem to be short filler and from what I have gathered on the forum not ideal for ageing. 

On the other hand the Petit Julietas are smaller but seem to have a better reputation. I know this is a broad generalization but it's the vibe I've been getting from the posts I have come across. 

To be more precise I am looking for something a bit smaller than a PC but not so small that it heats up quickly if you tend to take big puffs like say a cigarette smoker. I like sharing with the boys at work and would like them to have a pleasant smoking experience without having to constantly remind them to ease up on the drags they take so their cigars don't wind up tasting bitter.

Short filler cigars are a nice cheap alternative but since I am not a daily smoker who goes through a few smokes a day I would like to find something that is a bit nicer even for a half hour smoke. I know it's relative and most would say to stick to perlas, half corona, or smaller petit coronas from most marcas. I still would like the forum imput on this as panatelas are some of my absolute favorite vitolas.

Gracias!

All really depends on you taste.  Theres a cheap and cheerful for everyone.

PL and RG panatelas give you a lot of bang for the buck. I have boxes of both on hand and they do seem to age well short term(1-3 years). At the price point, ~3$ a stick, I never mind sharing or ending one early. And if you get a bad one it's no big loss. The quality of these has been pretty solid lately given that they are short filler.

I'd also strongly recommend RG Perla or maybe RASCC or El Principe.  They are more expensive, but are fantastic smokes.

On ‎11‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 4:24 PM, Stump89 said:

I'd also strongly recommend RG Perla or maybe RASCC or El Principe.  They are more expensive, but are fantastic smokes.

Thanks for the feedback. I agree. I'm just trying to get a feel for what other cigars around 5" and less than 40 ring gauge cigars are worth checking out.

Thanks for the feedback. I agree. I'm just trying to get a feel for what other cigars around 5" and less than 40 ring gauge cigars are worth checking out.

I've just picked up a box of Partagas Aristocrats (40rg, 129mm) and a box of RG Perlas (and, admittedly, Lusitanias but they REALLY don't fit it with what you're after) as shortish, cheaper smokes. The Perlas are a regular favourite of mine but the Aristocrats are an unknown punt - long filler, used to be machine made, same size as the du Prince, so why not? I'll try one in a few days when they've had a little rest and I've got over this cold and can taste stuff again.

Sent from my ActionMan walkie-talkie

I've had some very good Sports Largos but the majority were mediocre. Never bad though.

The Petit Julietas are very small and quite frankly, a terrible value. Tight draws are always an issue and at 30 ring using the Perfecdraw gets real dicey. I've also never had a very good one unlike the Sports Largos.

Honestly, my strong, strong recommendation is the Belvederes here. Yes, they're going to be about 10-15% more than PLP but they are long filler and a step up in quality. The only other rival to it is the RG Perlas, but if you're wanting a 5" cigar, the Belvederes is the one. I prefer it to the Regalias de Londres, Coronitas en Cedros and the Romeo No. 3. 

14 hours ago, NSXCIGAR said:

I've had some very good Sports Largos but the majority were mediocre. Never bad though.

The Petit Julietas are very small and quite frankly, a terrible value. Tight draws are always an issue and at 30 ring using the Perfecdraw gets real dicey. I've also never had a very good one unlike the Sports Largos.

Honestly, my strong, strong recommendation is the Belvederes here. Yes, they're going to be about 10-15% more than PLP but they are long filler and a step up in quality. The only other rival to it is the RG Perlas, but if you're wanting a 5" cigar, the Belvederes is the one. I prefer it to the Regalias de Londres, Coronitas en Cedros and the Romeo No. 3. 

Belvederes sound interesting. It's frustrating to look at the cubancigarwebsite and see all the Petit smokes that have been discontinued. A sign of the times I guess. 

I have been looking at the Regalias De Londres, Coronitas en cedro and the #3. This is the second or third time someone said to get the Belvederes. Would love to hear more and why?

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, Pag said:

I have been looking at the Regalias De Londres, Coronitas en cedro and the #3. This is the second or third time someone said to get the Belvederes. Would love to hear more and why?

Personally, I just think they've been performing better in the last few years. I do think the Belvederes are a bit punchier than the other two, but I like that. Not tannic or harsh but a little richer. And more consistent. Smoked through several 16 boxes and maybe only 2 or 3 were off the mark and not by much.

As is the case with CCs, I may be recommending the RdL or CeC over the Belvederes next year, but from 16-18 the Belvederes are the pick of the small RyJ offerings. 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...