RH and Temp

I'm fairly new to Cuban cigars and I've done a lot of reading on humidity and temperature to keep Cuban cigars at.

I've currently got my wineador at 65% rh and temp at 67deg FHA. Seems like The cigars are a little on the dry side. I'm used to keeping my cigars at 69 to 70% relative humidity.

What do most people here keep their Cubans at.....thanks Jim

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

You'll get a wide variety of answers on this. Some people like them dryer, some wetter.  I shoot for 65/65 in my wineador and cooler.  Works for my setup.
Wouldn't dry burn quicker and be more harsh...

Sorry of my ignorance on this....just learning as I go.....

1 hour ago, hunterbeav said:

Wouldn't dry burn quicker and be more harsh...

Sorry of my ignorance on this....just learning as I go.....

No, not necessarily.  I find that they will generally burn more evenly and draw a bit better. Some folks will will dry box their sticks before smoking. 

Again, it's all what your personal preference is. As long as you find how you like them and what's manageable for your storage. As long as you're not extremely high or low on RH or temp, you should be fine.

• Like 1

I'm fairly new to Cuban cigars and I've done a lot of reading on humidity and temperature to keep Cuban cigars at.
I've currently got my wineador at 65% rh and temp at 67deg FHA. Seems like The cigars are a little on the dry side. I'm used to keeping my cigars at 69 to 70% relative humidity.

You settings seem fine, have the cigars been in there for quite a while at those settings?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I look to keep mine right around 65rh and 65-67F. Dry box for a day before lighting up. It really comes down to personal preference.

For the few NC I have they sit at around 70rh. I find they benefit more from a higher rh.

My 2 cents

• Like 1

I've found storage at 65% and then placing into the a box at 62% for a week or so before smoking has been working best for myself. Best to experiment and find what works best for your taste/experience preference.

• Like 3

I've found storage at 65% and then placing into the a box at 62% for a week or so before smoking has been working best for myself. Best to experiment and find what works best for your taste/experience preference.

Exactly the same thing I do. Store long term at 65 and move to soon to be smoking at 62.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Chucko8 said:

This is exactly what has worked for me.

• Like 2

65% storage at about 65F, then 62% smoking at about 70F. Dropping to these numbers, after reading much good advice on this forum, has made a big difference to the quality of my smoking, especially to the burn quality.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, hunterbeav said:

Jimmy... No offense man, but if you are storing at 65rH and 67F and your cigars are dry, your humidor does not work.

Many people who attempt to make, or buy some of these prefab, low cost, TE heat controlled humidors have no idea what is really going on in their humidors. You need to start checking... because if those numbers are right, you don't have dry cigars!

Experience notwithstanding, cigars don't typically lie. Instruments do! Food for thought.

Best of luck... -the Pig

• Like 2

Jimmy... No offense man, but if you are storing at 65rH and 67F and your cigars are dry, your humidor does not work.
Many people who attempt to make, or buy some of these prefab, low cost, TE heat controlled humidors have no idea what is really going on in their humidors. You need to start checking... because if those numbers are right, you don't have dry cigars!
Experience notwithstanding, cigars don't typically lie. Instruments do! Food for thought.
Best of luck... -the Pig
Thanks fish for the advise...I appreciate it....I have a digital hygrometer and a boveda sensor all reading between 65 and 66% rh.....I'm using boveda 65rh packs I got 8 60grm. Packs in my wineador with about 100 cigars right now....

I'm just saying that this is a dryer cigar then I'm use to....not to dry just dryer then I normally keep my non cuban cigars which are kept at 69 to 70% rh at 70deg .

Cubans are new to me so I need to get all the info I can from you more experienced people....thanks...Jim

7 minutes ago, hunterbeav said:

Thanks fish for the advise...I appreciate it....I have a digital hygrometer and a boveda sensor all reading between 65 and 66% rh.....I'm using boveda 65rh packs I got 8 60grm. Packs in my wineador with about 100 cigars right now....

I'm just saying that this is a dryer cigar then I'm use to....not to dry just dryer then I normally keep my non cuban cigars which are kept at 69 to 70% rh at 70deg .

Cubans are new to me so I need to get all the info I can from you more experienced people....thanks...Jim

Part of this is about factual data and part is about different tastes and experience my friend. (Do not take this as an inference that yours is not equal to mine or others!)

The science is fact. The taste is personal.

When you say dry, do you mean weight, feel, the sound of, or the taste of... or all the above? Cuban cigars should have an audible crackle when rolled between fingers next to the ear. They should be hard and have little elasticity when squeezed... etcetera.

CAVEAT... THIS IS PERSONAL TASTE I AM TALKING ABOUT, AND THEREFORE NOT A UNIVERSAL AXIOM.

My tastes are no better than yours, perhaps more experienced but not better! You need to trust yourself, not any self-proclaimed expert.

As far as experts go, I don't believe in expert smokers! On the other hand I do believe there are experts on cigar storage and I happen to be one. It is my gig... In my mind, few peoples' controlled humidors actually work. That is my take. If you have seen all I have seen, taken all the emails and calls I have taken, you would understand my cynicism.

So coming full circle, experience notwithstanding (that word again) the cigars are not lying to you... It is your analysis of them that matters, not mine, nor anyone else's. So how good is your analysis? I don't know the answer to that.

My fear is that you don't have the factual data about how your cigars are actually stored. No, I am not going to argue with you! If you say so, then fine. I have talked to a hundred such people that have made the very same statements to me, only to write me off line and say "you were right, my cigar now have mold on them..." It is just my experience talking.

In other words, if your cigars are really being stored at the parameters you stated, you should not have 'actual' dry cigars. If you perceive them as dry, again, that is another issue.

Lets let more members chime in and you will likely get a consensus from seasoned smokers who will likely say the same; your settings are not 'dry.' If you cannot judge a dry cigar, then that is another story. However if you can judge a dry cigar, and they are in fact dry... your storage is a problem.

Understanding the 'problem' then is part of the solution. Is the problem real, or perception? I don't know, but I wanted to open your eyes to what was hidden in your questions.

Many have shown me a still picture of their hygrometer and said, "see, perfect, that is not the problem." Then some months later they post a picture of a box of moldy cigars and ask why it happened? I could write a book about it... I don't want to see that happen to another member.

I opened the book. You need to decide if the data is applicable to you and your situation.

Welcome to the forum and best of luck with your storage.

Cheers! -Piggy

• Like 3

13 hours ago, hunterbeav said:

Thanks LLC......the cigars have been in there for only a few days......

For me that explains it. They were obviously dry before going in and a few days won’t change that. You should leave them in there at those settings for at least 30 days but ideally 60-90 days and I think they would be just fine. 65% is more than enough, I’m normally around 60-62% at 67-69f. 

• Like 2

On 11/16/2018 at 4:47 PM, hunterbeav said:

Wow 58%......seems like Cubans from what I've read do better at lower rh levels....

Much

• Like 2