Ireland vs All Blacks - Dublin, November 2018

JohnS

Congratulations to Ireland, the world's no.2 ranked team, for beating the All Blacks for the first time at home overnight (Australian time). They even managed to hold the All Blacks tryless in the first half for the only time in 2018. Below is the Associated Press report of the game...

Ireland topple All Blacks 16-9 at home for first time

image.thumb.png.72eb99ee3abd384be35913124edbdad3.png

Ireland's Cian Healy runs with the ball during the rugby union international between Ireland and the New Zealand All Blacks in Dublin, Ireland, Saturday, Nov. 17, 2018. (AP Photo/Peter Morrison)

DUBLIN — Ireland beat the All Blacks 16-9 at home for the first time on Saturday and laid a major marker for the Rugby World Cup next year.

The blockbuster matchup of No. 1 and No. 2, the champions of each hemisphere, lived up to the hype. Ireland edged a rugged first half, and in a more open second half produced a classic try and kept New Zealand tryless for the first time in more than four years.

At a highly charged Lansdowne Road, Ireland became the only team to beat New Zealand twice since the All Blacks won a second straight Rugby World Cup in 2015. The first time was in 2016 in Chicago, Ireland’s first win over New Zealand in 111 years.

Even with that mental block gone, this victory was far more impressive: New Zealand was closer to full strength, and far more aware of Ireland’s threats.

But it didn’t matter.

Even after enduring a hugely physical first half that was exhausting just to watch, Ireland had the wherewithal to perfectly execute a try-scoring move from a lineout near halfway. Flyhalf Jonathan Sexton switched play to Bundee Aki running back to the short side, and wing Jacob Stockdale chipped ahead. He brushed past the surprised All Blacks, regathered and slid in from five meters out.

Sexton converted from wide out for 16-6 with half an hour to go, and put the pressure right back on the All Blacks.

But they limited them to just one more penalty.

Source: https://www.570news.com/2018/11/17/ireland-topple-all-blacks-16-9-at-home-for-first-time

15 minutes ago, JohnS said:

Congratulations to Ireland

Congrats indeed.  The scary thing about it was, it's not as though it was a scrappy win, they looked pretty comfortable.   Really looking forward to the World Cup, everyone has a chance of putting a decent show on

3 minutes ago, 99call said:

Congrats indeed.  The scary thing about it was, it's not as though it was a scrappy win, they looked pretty comfortable.   Really looking forward to the World Cup, everyone has a chance of putting a decent show on

Not the Wallabies under Michael Cheika. At least that's my view. We need a change of tactical direction. For the other teams, yes.

1 minute ago, JohnS said:

Not the Wallabies under Michael Cheika

I think recent form of SA and Eng, has very much proven you can one day feel like your in a pit of no hope whatsoever, and everything is unfixable, then you string two wins together, and a trickle of confidence and performance can quickly become a wave. 

Cheika should go, but I do see some of those players coming good with the right direction. they just have to do it Now!!, now further delay

South Africa ground out a solid result against Scotland today.

Their forwards were in a different class at the breakdown.

Stats will support that penalty kicking won the day, but they won’t truly reflect the awesome performance of Vermeulen and co today.

A betting man would seriously consider them worth a World Cup Flutter.

Terrific stuff from Ireland today. Wales/Tonga was much closer than the score indicates. But the highlight of the day was the first half performance from Japan against England. 

9 hours ago, ayepatz said:

Their forwards were in a different class at the breakdown.

SA forwards have not been "running their weight" for years. They seemed to be confused by the 'sealing off' 'diving on the ball' rules at the ruck. They now seem to be content in allowing the opposing team to get their first, and the destroying opposition jackelers spines.  Before then they were flying over, with nothing to stop them, and it all looked very messy.  Now it just looks brutal and effective.   

Their forwards are also not coming on to the ball at pace in the tackle, and simple laws of physics mean they will more often than not, break the gain line against the smaller man. 

It's the best of SA rugby, physically terrifying forwards, and lightning backs.  What has really changed things however is the maturation of Handre Pollard, he's starting to marshal, and look like he has a great deal more time on the ball.   He form alongside Faf de Klerk is really starting to humm. 

Scotland are still going in the right direction mate, I do think there pack is unbalanced at the moment.  It's neither overwhelmingly physical, nor overwhelmingly athletic/skilful.  I think in the modern game you either need to be crushingly dominant in the scrum, or they need to be 5 extra "footballers" on the park, in terms of keeping backline moves going, and jackeling threats. 

I love Japans poise, handling and ingenuity, they've always been my second team.  Tempted to go to the RWC

14 hours ago, 99call said:

I love Japans poise, handling and ingenuity, they've always been my second team.  Tempted to go to the RWC

If you can, you should definitely go.

I think it will be a terrifically even tournament, given the recent runs of good and bad form in the various teams.