Show your winter smoking nook

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

?  Long ago tired of ruining great cigars smoking outside in the elements.  

Winter smoking nook?  I’m wearing it...  

Bought an ice fishing shelter. Scored an awesome infrared heater deal not in pic. I have it setup in the garage but could easily be outside. Park the wife’s car out in the elements. Sometimes sacrifi

Table in the garden. Same as the summer option, but with a coat and woolly hat.
Occasionally gloves in snow. 10d2868a2958c5d1d41739ecc95515cd.jpg

Sent from my ActionMan walkie-talkie

• Like 4

I freakin pitched a cigar tonight.... it was a Quintero cause I figured I might.

IT IS FREAKING MINUS 20C THIS EVENING( well minus 17 right now. Yeah!)

My heater just said "a screw your a%$". Actually I think the propane tired of the unjust constraint of the Law of ideal gas and became a liquid.

At least it was a Quintero. Still makes me mad.

3 hours ago, looseleaf said:

McCredie Hot Springs along Salt Creek, Willamette National Forest, Oregon. Temperatures are known to fluctuate. Consider using a thermometer 

From Portland.  Never knew it existed.  I'll have to go try that place out.  Long way to go for just a cigar!

• Like 1

Guest Nekhyludov

I was so inspired by @papatrips that I picked up an ice fishing tent, black interlocking foam mats, and a programmable space heater during Black Friday sales. Looking forward to inaugurating the winter smoking lounge this week!

IMG_20181202_142646.thumb.jpg.7d08e57dbe03855ee8e48496d65db07f.jpg

IMG_20181202_142726.thumb.jpg.029ca801f0528c900451d178280b977a.jpg

2 hours ago, Nekhyludov said:

I was so inspired by @papatrips that I picked up an ice fishing tent, black interlocking foam mats, and a programmable space heater during Black Friday sales. Looking forward to inaugurating the winter smoking lounge this week!

That’s awesome!! Great placement under the deck. Will last longer in the long run being sheltered like that. 

3 hours ago, Nekhyludov said:

I love this idea!  I need to look into one, it would be better than the garage.  What heater can you use in there safely?  

Guest Nekhyludov
3 hours ago, Lomey said:

What heater can you use in there safely?  

I ordered a basic Honeywell electric heater with a remote control and auto shutoff. Although I'm not familiar with propane space heaters, I don't think I'd feel comfortable using one with this.

2 hours ago, SigmundChurchill said:

Also, before I go out to the sporting goods store, how is the ventilation in these things?

This tent has two vecro vent ports above the windows. They're small - maybe 4" x 6". So the passive ventilation is not good. I've got a small battery powered clip on fan on the way. OP suggested that's likely to do the trick. But I can tell you, without active ventilation the smoke isn't bad, but it gets very smelly very fast.

1 minute ago, Nekhyludov said:

I ordered a basic Honeywell electric heater with a remote control and auto shutoff. Although I'm not familiar with propane space heaters, I don't think I'd feel comfortable using one with this.

This tent has two vecro vent ports above the windows. They're small - maybe 4" x 6". So the passive ventilation is not good. I've got a small battery powered clip on fan on the way. OP suggested that's likely to do the trick. But I can tell you, without active ventilation the smoke isn't bad, but it gets very smelly very fast.

I hope the fan works out.  Please let me know.

@Nekhyludov, @Lomey and @SigmundChurchill I have a fan that I hung at the peak. Small one and moved air well. If you get one of those infrared heaters (I think they call them furnaces) they have fans on them too  

As for heating, I have used a small space heater, an electric 1500w infrared patio heater on a stand, one of those electric 1500w infrared furnace heaters, and a propane Mr. Heater Buddy.

The thing is, the space heater tries to heat the air in the space and I didn’t find it get that warm.  Whereas the infrared heaters seems to warm the space up better and heats objects.  I find the walls, flooring and me are a lot warmer. Plus the fan on the furnace moves air.

The propane piece and your concern..I totally understand!  The one I have has an automatic kill when O2 is low plus the vents in the tent being open exceed the manufacturer’s air intake suggestion. I only use it to warm the space before I get in along with the infrared heater. I preheat it like an oven while I grab a cigar. Then I turn off the propane one and just use the infrared. 

I picked up the infrareds on crazy deals.  The furnace I got for a song it was refurbished and only paid 70 bucks. Has three settings, a remote and fan option. 

Hope this helps

• Thanks 1