Online Dating Sites?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

...now I’ve been drinking here, so sit back. ??  In late 2007, work consumed my life. I also traveled a lot globally in O&G.   My social life went into the shitter.  Soooooo, I jumped on Matc

you must really need to earn some major brownie points if you are sprouting crap like that.  and why on earth did you follow it with a sperm coming out of your bum aimed at a blue moon? seriously

A funny one that was sent to me recently. "Tinder is for rookies. Go to Facebook Marketplace and search for wedding dresses. It'll show you recently divorced females in your area. From there you

• 4 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, luckyli said:

I started with tinder around 10 years ago. Was fun at the beginning. Lots of attention, couple of dates, nothing special. Met few good guys there. After a while it just gets boring i guess. Now i have a boyfriend and we use only swingers dating apps from time to time. It is good when you want to get rid of the routine in your relationship. 

There’s other swinger sites besides this one? 

• Haha 1

Recently separated so on a few of the dating apps. If it seems too good to be true, it is. My mates got hold of my phone when I was a touch inebriated and started connecting me with all these strange women. Pretty funny though. Just don't drink and swipe. ha ha!

When I met my would-be wife, I was 25 she was 28. I was in grad school and working full time. She was a nurse working swing shift. We both didn’t have time to meet people in conventional places. We met on Match. Eight years later, we’ve got married, owned two houses, and had two kids together. 

wasn’t that smooth to begin with. She is crazy and told me she wanted to drink my blood on the second date. I almost snuck out the bathroom window. 

• Like 4

So I've come of age romantically in the online dating era, and I think it's prevalence is less about innovation in dating than it is a product of changes in people's behavior. Millennial, Gen Z (and to some extent even Gen Y) aren't marrying nearly as young as earlier generations. Finding a future spouse in high-school or even college is the exception now. Partly that's cultural, partly due to changes in work (the job opportunities for millennial are not as stable or well-paid as for their parents). And nowadays it's hard to meet anyone at work too - COVID aside, many workplaces (especially white-collar) have no-dating policies and increasingly broad definitions of what constitutes harassment. 

On top of this, divorce is much more common, so even Boomers/Gen Y are re-entering the field without many avenues for meeting potential partners.

All this is a long way of saying that online dating has essentially become unavoidable in one form or another if finding a serious partner is a priority. The downside is that it is frustrating and naturally entails a lot of first dates which go nowhere. And there's no guarantee of success, especially if you live in a less densely populated area. 

I myself am in a relationship that arose from mutual friends, after years of online dating off and on. But it also came after many unsuccessful "mutual friend setups." And those are way more awkward and uncomfortable than an online dating date, where everyone goes in with the same (low) expectations.

Lastly, you'll find that online dating among the under-40 crowd is distinct from so-called "hookup apps", like TInder, which are mostly used by people looking for no-string-attached casual sex. If you are going to enter an online dating environment, make sure you determine whether it aligns with your goals.

PS: Also, be honest with yourself about what you want.

• Like 2

I've been married too long to have experience with dating app but this anecdote about Grinder is a real story that I saw first hand years ago.

My friend Scott lives in a very diverse, prosperous, and fashionable neighborhood. Back when we all started to get smart phones Scott and I were  involved in a large group work project and there was a very tech savvy guy with us, Dave.  Dave asked Scott if he could make a call on Scott's new iPhone as we worked. Probably a new 5. No passcodes or security I assume because Dave downloaded Grinder on Scott's phone and immediately hid the app within a group apps. Did I mention that Scott is viscerally homophobic and his lovely neighborhood in a hot spot with the LBGQ crowd? It was his first iPhone and like all of us had little appreciation of the power of the device.  He was visibly upset about all of the men who approached him at all hours, saying hello and initiating conversation for a couple of months. He had no idea whatsoever why he was getting so much unwanted attention and complained bitterly. Dave eventually moved into an apartment in Scott's building and told him that he had installed Grinder on his phone. They are still friends but not close as far as I can tell. This was maybe the worst dirty trick I can remember, but OMG, we laughed for years. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 8 months later...
  • 11 months later...

I’ve used coffee meets bagel CMB, for almost five years. Great experience overall, you just have to filter thru a lot of fakes, misrepresented and the ones that want to sell you something. But got a hang of it after using it for a year or two. It’s very time consuming though but my current girlfriend that I have been dating for two years I met on CMB. 

pros - easy to find people of similar interests, can meet ppl outside your social circle, 

cons- people tend to be less serious in the beginning because they all think they can easily find a better one. There are a lot of scammers out there, I mean people who have ill intent and want to scam your money. You just have to be street-smart and make sure you come out and meet the person asap. Unfortunately a lot ppl still fall for the scams, especially professionals who’s probably too busy to check and make sure the person you are talking to is real.

• Like 1

I thought this was a dating site at first.

I met my first wife on a dating site, and we're still together. 

But the thought of going back to one fills me with disgust. I think it's all about cycling through a bunch of people in some sort of orderly fashion.... Lunch date after lunch date after dinner date after dinner date. 

But they are the most popular way to meet a date if you don't have a buddy set you up or you not in school swimming in hedge.