Food Culture. Have we all become twats?

All of these reasons are probably why I only have a couple friends left :rotfl:

"Text at the table and die"

I've gotten up and walked out because of this. Said nothing, left whatever I owed+tip and just walked out. I don't put up with the phone thing. Irritates me to no end. One thing to glance for a second or respond to something important, but to stare at it the whole time? Nope. No way

Don't get me started on the social media. Ugh

• Like 2

Splitting bills to the cent irks me to no end....even separate tabs. I end up just paying for the tosser’s meal. But I only make this mistake once per ex-friend.

• Haha 2

If my wife makes something magnificent, I will take a picture of it. But at restaurants, I find it ridiculous to hover over a plate of food to get a “good” shot of it for Instagram, etc.  I have done it to appease my wife on occasion but I go back later and delete them. Do you really need a picture of a fish/steak/whatever on your phone? 

Also agree on child control at restaurants. Countless breakfasts on vacations spent at expensive resorts have been ruined by non-hungry children screaming and climbing all over their chairs while their parents pretend not to notice for forty minutes. At the very least there should be family seating areas, in my opinion. 

21 minutes ago, Cayman17 said:

If my wife makes something magnificent, I will take a picture of it. But at restaurants, I find it ridiculous to hover over a plate of food to get a “good” shot of it for Instagram, etc.  I have done it to appease my wife on occasion but I go back later and delete them. Do you really need a picture of a fish/steak/whatever on your phone? 

Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with the occasional snap!!!

...but every bloody dish at every restaurant going to FB/insta?  How interested do we believe the world is?

I always (to be read as 'always') put my phone on silent before I exit the vehicle and enter the restaurant. I never (to be read as 'never') take pictures of the food or anyone/anything else in the restaurant, with the exception, and it is rare, of snapping one of the label of a particularly good bottle of wine that I have not had before. I always pick up the check.

Big Al

My retired cousin seems to be chronicling every meal  of every day. I have no idea why. I think it is narcissism. Hey look at me. Look at what I do or where I travel. Look at my kids and see how great they are. Look at what I'm eating while you schlep down that hamburger. Ever check out a good looking middle aged woman only to find 30 of her 35 pics are selfies of herself? Narcissism.

2 hours ago, El Presidente said:

Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with the occasional snap!!!

...but every bloody dish at every restaurant going to FB/insta?  How interested do we believe the world is?

I will do an occasional snap to make the GF happy when I am traveling but it never hits social media and the phone stays in the pocket for all meals.  Also my children have known since they were very small how to behave properly in public.... It may have help to have been raised by an Englishman......  

20 minutes ago, bayala said:

If you don't take a photo did you really eat the meal???

Same reason you have to take a pic at the airport gate, otherwise people will question whether you actually went on vacation.

Also, so you can show people the beef pasta you ordered, didn't remotely look like any pasta an Italian would recognise...

20181116_211543.thumb.jpg.7f890cbbb99a814db5c968c6ac4e6df2.jpg

6 minutes ago, Fuzz said:

Same reason you have to take a pic at the airport gate, otherwise people will question whether you actually went on vacation.

Also, so you can show people the beef pasta you ordered, didn't remotely look like any pasta an Italian would recognise...

20181116_211543.thumb.jpg.7f890cbbb99a814db5c968c6ac4e6df2.jpg

Are they hokkien noodles? 

3 hours ago, El Presidente said:

You are the best we have ever had in that role :clap:

@Fuzz loves it really, he is a natural! This is why we always let Fuzz and Jayce both pick from the menu, and work out the bill, when the FOH boys get together in Sydney!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, El Presidente said:

You should have stuck to Mexican 

Sanchez loves mexican :wink2:

They also like knives...

"Hey man, I cut you... I cut you up so bad, you gonna... you gonna wish I no cut you up so bad"

• Haha 1

I don't remember the last time I took a picture of food, but then again, I am the odd man out. I dont do Facebook or Snapchats or whatever the thing is these days.  I thought I was weird because I got annoyed going out with my GF's friends after the 100th time of them grabbing the bill, calculating to the cent, telling the waiter/waitress how much to put on their card which never covered their entire share. I never pay close attention, and it took me awhile to catch on.  End rambling rant

What is a tosser?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HopeUgood said:

I don't remember the last time I took a picture of food, but then again, I am the odd man out. I dont do Facebook or Snapchats or whatever the thing is these days.  I thought I was weird because I got annoyed going out with my GF's friends after the 100th time of them grabbing the bill, calculating to the cent, telling the waiter/waitress how much to put on their card which never covered their entire share. I never pay close attention, and it took me awhile to catch on.  End rambling rant

What is a tosser?

your Gf's friends

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

11 minutes ago, HopeUgood said:

What is a tosser?

I don't know how old your GF's friends are but from my experience (21YO GF) whenever dining and money comes into play it's always WW3. Order more food and expensive drinks - let's all split  equally and god forbid you speak out. Order less food and inexpensive drinks - you better contribute equal to the total bill... blows my mind. Another great one is the message on a monday "Hey can you please transfer me that $2.04 for xyz". Now I'm all for not being a sponge but that kind of money equals out over the long term. 

• Like 1