Buying in Cuba/beetles and freezing?

Work had me pass through the Camaguey airport and I took the opportunity to pick up some goods. The airport shop has a very nice walk in humidor with pretty good stock and certainly some interesting finds. I was able to pick up boxes of SLR Marqueza Cuba RE, QDO 54, and Monte Duma’s. Unlike HAV, every box in the shop was priced to the penny of what it should be, no up charging or scamming here.

My question is, since these boxes were for sale for consumption off the island at the airport departure lounge, should I still consider putting them down for the big freeze? Probably better safe than sorry but look forward to any opinions. 

Thanks!

I would recommend skipping the refrigerator step. The study I linked in the below thread shows that the beetles and eggs "acclimate" to lower temperatures above freezing. The amount of time you need to freeze them also depends on how cold your freezer is. 

If you've purchased everything through normal retail channels(LCDHs, Legit Online Vendors, Etc.) it should have been frozen prior to your purchase. Some people will still refreeze these cigars as a precaution, HSA's QC isn't exactly world class. Also, beetles only start hatching at temperatures on the northern end of the "accepted" range for storage. If you store your cigars around 70F, you may(probably) still have dormant eggs.

8 minutes ago, Derboesekoenig said:

If you skip the fridge, is there any chance of condensation forming? I always thought that's why the transfer to the fridge before back to the humidor.

Its certainly possible. I live in CO and our relative humidity (especially in the winter) is VERY low, so its never been an issues for me. 

I guess I misread your post initially, I though you had the refrigerator part first. There's probably little harm in transitioning them back to normal temps/humidity in the fridge. I usually just leave mine out at room temp (bags cracked open) for about 12-18 hours. 48 hours of fridge time will definitely solve any moisture issues though.   

3 minutes ago, Corylax18 said:

Its certainly possible. I live in CO and our relative humidity (especially in the winter) is VERY low, so its never been an issues for me. 

I guess I misread your post initially, I though you had the refrigerator part first. There's probably little harm in transitioning them back to normal temps/humidity in the fridge. I usually just leave mine out at room temp (bags cracked open) for about 12-18 hours. 48 hours of fridge time will definitely solve any moisture issues though.   

Maybe 24-24-48 (24?) would be better? I guess it isn't an exact science how long it would take to kill the beetles, if they were present.

I thought I read somewhere that regular home freezers don’t get cold enough to crack the eggs, maybe incorrect or outdated information.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ea505ffcf43806fddde62918eac26f1b.png
Depends how low your home freezer gets and how long you keep them at that temperature. Have a look at this study. Mine doesn’t get too low so I keep them in for 3-4 days.

1 hour ago, Bords said:

I thought I read somewhere that regular home freezers don’t get cold enough to crack the eggs, maybe incorrect or outdated information.

Not the freezer that is part of your refrigerator. Buy yourself either a stand-up or chest style commercial deep freezer. Great for storage if you have lots of frozen food, and works great for freezing cigar boxes. Most go down to -10 degrees F or a bit colder.

Everyone is going to have a different process and I’m not sure how big a difference it makes but I do 24 hours in the fridge, 3 days in the freezer (not fridge freezer as mentioned above) and then 24 hours in the fridge. Take them out and let them come up to room temperature and then put in my humidor still in ziplock. 30 days later take out of zip lock examine and the put into humidor without ziplock.

I have a newer refrigerator in my house. It displays the temp in the freezer section at 0F, which is -18C. That is exactly the same temp walk-in restaurants, commercial freezers and any other regular freezer will be set for. If you want colder, you are now talking a specific style of refrigeration that most are not delving into.
I work in the trade, and have seen so many posts about how your freezer at home is warmer than some magical commercial set up. It is not. They should "technically" be the same; 0F. If yours is warmer, turn the temp down then. You can get a chest style freezer to go that low, as well as your refrigerator (just dont open the freezer when cigars are in there).

Freeze everything coming off the Island. Everything.
I too like the fridge-freezer-fridge method as I am always worried about thin wrappers cracking with sudden shrinkage due to temp-shock. I have no proof of it, just worries.

Nice pick ups.

• Thanks 1

Prez has stated he hasn't seen a live beetle in the warehouse in a long time (10 years or more i believe)The dead ones got killed in the freezer in Cuba...he looks at more boxes than all of us combined. As long as I know the location it was purchased and it wasn't Cuba...I don't worry about it. A friend of mine that has 100+ boxes feels the same. 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, jackupster said:

Prez has stated he hasn't seen a live beetle in the warehouse in a long time (10 years or more i believe)The dead ones got killed in the freezer in Cuba...he looks at more boxes than all of us combined. As long as I know the location it was purchased and it wasn't Cuba...I don't worry about it. A friend of mine that has 100+ boxes feels the same. 

To each his own. I have been in this hobby 30 + years and have lost a good bit of sticks to a beetle outbreak. It takes very little effort to toss a box into my chest freezer for 48 hours, knowing I can have piece of mind my investments are not being ravaged by disgusting tiny insects. 

My fridge freezer gets down to -23C (actually -22.4C, at the coldest spot, measured with temp probes). I usually leave them in there for 2-3 day, then a defrost in the fridge for another 2-3 days, just on the safe side. It has never affected the taste or construction of my cigars.

2 hours ago, jackupster said:

I've stored cigars, obtained from all over the world (but not Cuba directly), for more years than I can remember and have never frozen any of them - nor have I needed to.

• Like 1

I disagree.
I have made multiple trips to the island, and had the privilage to open many boxes in the LCDH's. I have seen multiple 3 & 4 year old boxes with beetles ravaging them, in the stores. Different brands, different sizes. I had only seen one box this last trip, and that was only a 2 year old box with a couple holes.
If you want to take the chance to not freeze everything that comes from a purchase while on the island, I personally think you are taking a chance.
I too had never had a problem, until I saw that in 2016. It scared me straight into freezing my stuff when I got home.

On 11/30/2018 at 5:34 PM, Zedman05 said:

I disagree.
I have made multiple trips to the island, and had the privilage to open many boxes in the LCDH's. I have seen multiple 3 & 4 year old boxes with beetles ravaging them, in the stores. Different brands, different sizes. I had only seen one box this last trip, and that was only a 2 year old box with a couple holes.
If you want to take the chance to not freeze everything that comes from a purchase while on the island, I personally think you are taking a chance.
I too had never had a problem, until I saw that in 2016. It scared me straight into freezing my stuff when I got home.

I believe everyone is an agreement about cigars bought on the island...It's the exports that are in question. I think Monterey misspoke when he said "customs". Anything bought on the island should be froze. People can freeze them if they want. But I will take the hosts word for it that he hasn't seen a live beetle in a long time. He says he looks at 12-14K boxes a year! 

I believe everyone is an agreement about cigars bought on the island...It's the exports that are in question. I think Monterey misspoke when he said "customs". Anything bought on the island should be froze. People can freeze them if they want. But I will take the hosts word for it that he hasn't seen a live beetle in a long time. He says he looks at 12-14K boxes a year! 
Off-island, he looks at everything, and I agree. This thread was dedicated to on-island purchase, where I have opened multiple boxes with beetles of different markas. I wasn't allowed to take pics, as they skirted them away quickly. This was also a couple different locations, Havana and Varadero at 2 different years.
All I am saying is; I would freeze everything from purchasing on-island, to be sure.
  • Like 1