Newsham's Humidor Refurb

awk6898

Picked this Newsham's humidor up about 2 years ago from a quick-shop that needed the floor space. Even though I didn't have anywhere to put it at the time I couldn't pass up on it for the pricetag the owner was asking to get it gone... Fast forward to now and buying my first home. I finally got it out of the shop and into my new place but unfortunately have no where practical to keep it... I was thinking of moving the bar (see pictures below) and putting it there, interior wall, no windows, etc, but unfortunately the cabinet is too big and won't fit... It's about 6ft x 6ft so the only other space in my new, and incredibly size efficient (ie small) house is in front of windows...

So, a few questions.

1. Although the side of the house doesn't get a lot of light through these windows, have any of you fought that battle before? I'm thinking I'll probably get some sort of thick "black out" curtains to help insulate between the windows and the cabinet and then maybe attach some half inch insulation board to the back of the cabinet... The fiance already isn't super excited about the cabinet taking up precious space and natural light, so I know she wouldn't be down for me putting insulation in the windows and ruining the asthetics from the outside of the house.

2. The previous owner clearly used to religiously spill water when he refilled the humidifier. The bottom of the cabinet is stained pretty bad. I've done some sanding, but it's just a thin veneer and I haven't wanted to sand all the way through. I'm tempted to just buy some Spanish Cedar and cut it to size to lay as a new bottom, but I'm not very handy when it comes to woodworking. I assume it would be like laying a tiny hard wood floor? Any other easier options for a newbie that will still look good?

I'm sure I'll have more questions throughout the process, but here are some pictures to give you all an idea of what I'm working with.

** also pictured** I also have a giant humidor, also made by Newsham's, that is just way too big to fit in my small house so I guess it's going up for sale. Comes complete with sliding glass doors and wire shelving (not pictured). I haven't measured it, but it has to be every bit of 8/9ft tall since it's tight against the ceiling. Located in Middletown Delaware. Where would you guys think would be the best place to post something like that for sale? I guess Craigslist? It's going to have to be local pickup only since it's way too big to ship. Lol.**

Thanks a ton in advance!

-Andrewf7989b034cdff083a2e99243e2aac792.jpgc62617c0bb94c015869ccd7ff78bfa13.jpg0b0b08f71fd068ca655af898c70f96c6.jpgc2056c82910abc22d59d784b30005db2.jpgf3f4de723578b13d7a9cb8335ab61afa.jpg126fa8f66e5e524046009474fbc7c2f4.jpg

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I think the Spanish Cedar to overlay the stained bottom is a good idea. 

Also, I see that you have a bottle of Lysol near the cabinet, I would encourage you not to use that for cleaning the wood. The residual chemicals will saturate the wood and may become aerolized when you install fans and a humidificaton device and then adversely affect your cigars. If you are determined to clean the wood use a neutral detergent as a surfactant. Not glamorous, but Dawn dish detergent is the best. If you have already used the Lysol, I would recommend that you rinse very thoroughly with the neutral detergent before you move forward. Then VERY thoroughly dry the wood before installing the cedar. 

If you feed that you need a disinfecting cleanse, I would recommend one with a botanical/natural essence, thymol, which is naturally derived from the thyme plant. Benefect is the best for this, https://www.amazon.com/Benefect-Botanical-Broad-Spectrum-Disinfectant/dp/B000Y215W6/ref=sr_1_3_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1543681284&sr=8-3&keywords=benefect+botanical+disinfectant

My company is a water and mold remediation business, so we deal with damaged materials every day. 

I think the Spanish Cedar to overlay the stained bottom is a good idea. 
Also, I see that you have a bottle of Lysol near the cabinet, I would encourage you not to use that for cleaning the wood. The residual chemicals will saturate the wood and may become aerolized when you install fans and a humidificaton device and then adversely affect your cigars. If you are determined to clean the wood use a neutral detergent as a surfactant. Not glamorous, but Dawn dish detergent is the best. If you have already used the Lysol, I would recommend that you rinse very thoroughly with the neutral detergent before you move forward. Then VERY thoroughly dry the wood before installing the cedar. 
If you feed that you need a disinfecting cleanse, I would recommend one with a botanical/natural essence, thymol, which is naturally derived from the thyme plant. Benefect is the best for this, https://www.amazon.com/Benefect-Botanical-Broad-Spectrum-Disinfectant/dp/B000Y215W6/ref=sr_1_3_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1543681284&sr=8-3&keywords=benefect+botanical+disinfectant
My company is a water and mold remediation business, so we deal with damaged materials every day. 
Thanks for the reply. No Lysol, I promise. Lol. It was just sitting by the cabinet. The only thing I've done to "clean" the cabinet so far is give the inside a light sanding and then wiped everything down with distilled water.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk