durian. yes? no?

One thing I can tell from this thread is I’m not going to try the fruit anytime soon. That’s not because it’s not good and I wouldn’t like it. It’s because being located half way around the world from where they are grown and knowing nothing about it - the odds of getting a bad example of one seems likely.

Using a more pedestrian example, tomatoes in most US super markets are terrible. Thick skins, little taste, lacking in nutrition. - - On the other hand, if you try a vine ripened heirloom variety tomato purchased at a local farmers market, it is a completely different experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

My father is from Indonesia. Durian is okay. I really like the dried preserves though.

My F in-law is from Wisconsin and won’t eat cheese on a burger... or touch cold cheese of ANY kind. He’ll gobble down pizza all day long though. Think I can get him to try durian? LMAO

I have learnt to enjoy and appreciate it. My colleagues from Malaysia have introduced me to world of Durian. I had no idea how many varieties of Durian there are to sample. When I was last in KL in July they gave me one called Musang King and it was really good..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

We grow the best durians in the world and its a love it or hate it thing. For first timers, the smell is worse than the taste but you should try it at least once.

My personal favourites are Musang King, D24 and D2.

• Like 2

I've only tried the flavoured sweets a colleague brought back from China among some other local treats.

It was a god awful sweet. Smelled nasty.

If that's anything like the fruits, y'all be crazy. Ya hear!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

On 12/12/2018 at 12:32 AM, MD Puffer said:

Ken, interesting to know papaya is also called pawpaw.  Here in the southeastern USA there's a fruit tree called pawpaw that isn't papaya.  It's edible but isn't commercially viable apparently (maybe it spoils too fast).  I've seen them but never tried one.  Nor have I tried durian.  I would try either- depending on how foul the aroma was.  Speaking of papaya, isn't it called by a different name in Cuba because that word is slang for a part of the female anatomy?

Fruta bomba?

5 hours ago, MD Puffer said:

That's it-  I wasn't sure of how accurate that story was- I've never been to Cuba and read it on the internet.

It is very accurate .... ?  ?