What do you buy your boss for christmas?

Just putting it out there :innocent:

Assuming he (or she) are top people....inspirational, lead from the front, inclusive, have gone a whole year without putting a hole in a wall.  :spotlight:

OK seriously....do you buy a gift for your immediate boss?  It use to be common practice but not so much today. Is it considered a suckup? is it a good strategic suckup?

What is the PC status quo on the subject?.....and what is actually being done? should I have started a gift registry to help out the team?

I am the boss.  

And cigars aside, I recently bought myself a pair of Lucchese goatskin boots.

Last Christmas, my underlings gifted me a 1.75L bottle of Grey Goose.  I was thankful, it was well-received, but I'm still puzzled and wonder if they think I'm a heavy drinker (between my wife and I there's still more than 3/4 of the bottle left).

I've always given my boss a gift.  He's hard to shop for, is very particular, and has most everything he could ever want.  So it's always a fun task to find something clever and interesting instead of showy and generic.  I always aim for thoughtful over expensive for the boss.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TBird55 said:

I've always been self employed, but rarely received  gifts from from people I employed. Always gave them bonuses, at the Christmas party.

christmas cash bonuses are illegal .....and I am not one to break the law :D

2 hours ago, El Presidente said:

I am a boot lover. Pic required!

Atop a recent 24:24 offering.  

No break-in required, very supple.  Earlier this summer I got a pair of LL Bean 13" canvas hunting boots that finally came back in stock- Those are great warm-weather outdoor boots.

No quips about my photographic skills necessary...

IMG_2036.JPG

• Like 1

We do not buy for the Christmas, but for birthday - is always a gift, expensive good alcohol or a rare expensive book. In turn, the "Boss" makes a good cristmas corporate Banquet (before the new year), usually adds money from his personal budget

Their kids' college tuition? Their next trip to the Bahamas? The Maserati? Hard to think of anything I haven't already gotten 'em...
Workers should not be expected to buy gifts for their bosses.

I think we are not talking about plants or factories, not about large corporations, but about a small business where people work together as a team, have fun, and do not go to work as hard labor

2 minutes ago, nKostyan said:

I think we are not talking about plants or factories, not about large corporations, but about a small business where people work together as a team, have fun, and do not go to work as hard labor

Yeah I was actually referring to the last place I worked at - a local restaurant where I worked for 6 years... without a raise... while the owner bought maseratis and traveled to faraway lands etc etc

Semi-venting. sorry.

Usually an anonymous gag gift based on some inside joke.  This year, my boss got stuck with an expensive tow job right outside the office due to unpaid tickets.  Enter toy tow truck.  Everyone gets to have a laugh and it has a personal touch to it.  We're not the sort of office where any form of gift would be expected though.

Usually an anonymous gag gift based on some inside joke.  This year, my boss got stuck with an expensive tow job right outside the office due to unpaid tickets.  Enter toy tow truck.  Everyone gets to have a laugh and it has a personal touch to it.  We're not the sort of office where any form of gift would be expected though.

ee090426a10a3b7b1ebd00f7b0deed04.jpg
Are you making fun of your boss? You'll be begging for a quick death
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, cfc1016 said:

Their kids' college tuition? Their next trip to the Bahamas? The Maserati? Hard to think of anything I haven't already gotten 'em...

Workers should not be expected to buy gifts for their bosses.

WOW dude, that blows. That would be a hard place to work at if I saw all that, and got paid pennies comparatively.