Top 5 Xmas Movies Line-up... tenuously linked to a theme... or not...

If Brisbane's weather is not AHAB (as hot as balls), then it won't be far off, so the air-con and a good movie line-up will no doubt receive good patronage at mine over the Xmas/NY festivities. Thus, a list is in order. Tenuously linked to Xmas theme, I'm going with a top 5 of:

5. Scrooged

Link: Obvious. And just Bill Murray. 

4. Die Hard

Link: "Now I have a machine-gun. Ho - Ho - Ho". For me, the original and best crime/action/thriller. Xmas necessity. 

3. The Life Of Brian

Link: "Why do you want to be a woman, Stan?" "I wanna have babies". Xmas is the time of miracles. 

2. In Bruges

Link: "Two manky hookers and a racist dwarf. I think I'm heading home." Haven't we all said that at one Xmas or another? So much gold in this film: Colin Farrell, Brendon Gleeson, Ralph Fiennes... great performances; Another cracker writing & directing effort from Martin McDonagh... "It's like a fairytale, isn't it?" 

1. Bad Santa

Link: Obvious. And Billy-Bob's hilarious performance. Impossible to oust from the #1 spot. 

What's your top 5 for the break, Xmas-themed or otherwise?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Colt45 said:

Love In Bruges.

Weather here is NSC.

Not necessarily top 5, but first thing that came to mind....

Trading Places is an old fave of mine, too... It sticks in the memory for a particularly fine cameo appearance by a certain duo... 

9 minutes ago, MoeFOH said:

Trading Places is an old fave of mine, too... It sticks in the memory for a particularly fine cameo appearance by a certain duo... 

You're filthy - Merry New Year!

6 minutes ago, MoeFOH said:

?

Since you asked (as an admin), and only because you asked (as an admin) - Nut Shrinking Cold... (as opposed to hot as balls)

• Haha 1

Die Hard - welcome to the party pal!

Gremlins - because nothing says Christmas like little monsters causing mayhem 

Muppets Christmas Carol - yeah yeah it's a childhood favorite of mine lol. Michael Caine is a pretty good Scrooge too.

Nightmare Before Christmas - just because 

Christmas Story - every kid has that 1 thing they always wanted. The dad and his major award are hilarious

• Like 1

may i take this opportunity to point out that despite the "religious" origins of christmas, and with the stretching of 'wonderful life' (and risking eternal condemnation, 'life of brian') none of these have anything to do with religion. 

doesn't that sum it up! 

ps - yes, life of brian. i should have checked the list four times. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Ken Gargett said:

i may be howled down and thrown out of the blokes' club but for a funny, feel good flick, 'love actually'. 

You survive on the basis that Bill Nighy's role/performance in this should not be missed and is always well worth a revisit. As is the whole movie... ok, yes, I'm a fan, too. Kick me out as well. 

1 hour ago, Ken Gargett said:

may i take this opportunity to point out that despite the "religious" origins of christmas, and with the stretching of 'wonderful life' (and risking eternal condemnation, 'life of brian') none of these have anything to do with religion. 

doesn't that sum it up! 

ps - yes, life of brian. i should have checked the list four times. 

More money to be made off Heathens than Brethren’s. 

Not in order

5.  Elf- "I planned out our whole day: First, we'll make snow angels for two hours, and then we'll go ice skating, and then we'll eat a whole roll of Toll-House cookie dough as fast as we can, and then to finish, we'll snuggle."

4. Die Hard- “No F**king S**t Lady, Does It Sound Like I Am Ordering A Pizza?”

3. Christmas Vacation- “Surprised, Eddie?... If I woke up tomorrow with my head sewn to the carpet, I wouldn't be more surprised than I am now.”

2. Love Actually- "I'm on Shag Highway heading West!"

1. It’s a Wonderful Life- “Strange, isn’t it? Each man’s life touches so many other lives.  When he isn’t around he leaves an awful hole, doesn’t he?”

Guest Nekhyludov

A definitive ranking of the best Christmas movies ever made:

1. National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation

2. through 478. Every other Christmas movie