Hangover cures? İşkembe Çorbası

good time of year for hangover cures. came across this piece on the net. 

love tripe - in fact, just cook up several tripe dishes - but not sure about it for hangovers. 

any alternatives? any work? 

İşkembe Çorbası

In Turkey, drinkers head off hangovers with creamy tripe soup.

Turkishtripesoup_Alamy.jpg

After a long night hitting the rakı, Turkey’s party-goers know how to get ahead of a potentially uncomfortable morning. Like Ecuador’s guatita, the Turkish tripe-infused soup işkembe corbası is known for its stomach-settling properties and is a common offering wherever late-nighters are lurking.

İşkembe corbası is a fairly simple soup consisting of the cleaned, boiled stomach of a lamb or calf that’s thickened with flour, egg yolk, yogurt, and lemon juice. The pale bowl of işkembe corbası is a bit reminiscent of an oil-dappled congee or chowder, but like many a mild soup, it’s all about the customizing condiments. For those unconcerned with hangover halitosis, additives such as pure garlic juice and vinegar may be used with wild abandon to brighten up the mild and creamy concoction. Otherwise, feel free to stick to the pickles or piquant red pepper known as kirmizi biber.

Eaters seeking something on the heartier side can opt for tuzlama, a version of the soup featuring larger chunks of tripe. Though the odor of offal may be off-putting to tripe newcomers, in most late-night establishments the steaming vats of boiling innards are a welcome sign, and smell. Follow your nose and you too may become a corbası convert.

Mutton Nehari, 

An unusual curry, as the spice mix includes star anise, which I generally just associate with Chinese cuisine.  After the long cooking the curry is like a thick soup with loads of marrow, and super tender fall apart lamb.  The great thing about this dish is, its hot, and has massive rich depth of flavour, the fresh garnishes (lemon juice, coriander, ginger, and green chillies) cut through any boozy head fog.     Served like a bowl of soup, and with a thick stack of chapati/roti. 

Wiki blurb: According to many sources, Nihari either originated in Hyderabad or Old Delhi in the late 18th century during the last throes of the Mughal Empire or in the royal kitchens of Awadh, in modern-day Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh, India.[1]

Nihari developed with the overall cuisine of Muslims of the Indian subcontinent. It has been an old popular delicacy in parts of Bangladesh, particularly Dhaka and Chittagong. People cooked it for one whole night and they got it in the early morning at sunrise. It is a popular dish and is regarded as the national dish of Pakistan. The dish is known for its spiciness and taste. It was originally more of a delicacy with myriad variations on spiciness and texture.

Nehari-with-Madihas-Kitchen.jpg

A full english breakfast is the ultimate cure..........HOWEVER!!  it's a 'meal' that should not be scrimped on cash wise.   I huge percent of places in the UK, make it wish the cheapest possible ingredients, which are likely to make you ill, instead of better. 

A good one should consist of 

- sausage - black pudding - eggs- grilled tomato -mushrooms- white pudding- bacon - toast

(no baked beans.............because they're disgusting)   Most UK residents would burn me on a cross for saying this, but I don't care.

full-english-breakfast.jpg

• Like 3

In my younger days, I was told by what I would call them as ( professional drunks). When getting home after a night of drinking, open a can of beer, set it beside the bed.

When you wake grab the beer, and guzzle it down. (Yep a flat beer)

Works like a charm.......haven't had to do this in years...but I've got it in my back pocket if needed..

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

My usual is 2 gatorades, vegemite toast and water. But I reckon you can't go past a Japanese Ramen with good strong pork broth, bbq pork, egg, extra seaweed. Unfortunately haven't found any close to how good they are in Japan.

• Thanks 1

Caviar has properties in it that will prevent a hangover if eaten with or immediately after your liquored drink(s).  And it doesn't have to be that $75 per oz. stuff, either. The $8.00 jar of Romanov lumpfish caviar on the grocery store shelves will suffice just fine. I can vouche that it worked for me in my drinking days. Never woke up with a headache...or worse!

Anything acidic does the trick. Acid reverses the effects of alcohol. Ever notice how coffee or coke makes you feel better, both are acidic. Try kosher pickle juice right from the jar. It will put you on your feet. Stay away from water as it does make you feel worst on a hangover, specially on the really bad days.

Then there is the other solution....more drinks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Having worked behind a bar for roughly 15 years in my experience the best cure is setting the table with preventative measures.

• First of all I would be remiss if I didn't state the obvious. Eat dinner before beginning your drunken escapade! I know I know captain obvious but I cannot make assumptions.
  • Drink clear liquors instead of beer or whiskey. I stick to vodka soda as my staple drink when drinking heavily.
  • Have some H2o in between cocktails. Good rule of thumb is 3-4 drink intervals. Vodka soda is a good drink because my water round will look the same as my cocktail round.
  • Avoid drinks with sugar or sweet liqueurs. Too much will intensify that hung over feeling.

Stick to these simple rules and you will have a much better morning after experience when out on the town!

2 hours ago, Burningman said:

Having worked behind a bar for roughly 15 years in my experience the best cure is setting the table with preventative measures.

• First of all I would be remiss if I didn't state the obvious. Eat dinner before beginning your drunken escapade! I know I know captain obvious but I cannot make assumptions.
  • Drink clear liquors instead of beer or whiskey. I stick to vodka soda as my staple drink when drinking heavily.
  • Have some H2o in between cocktails. Good rule of thumb is 3-4 drink intervals. Vodka soda is a good drink because my water round will look the same as my cocktail round.
  • Avoid drinks with sugar or sweet liqueurs. Too much will intensify that hung over feeling.

Stick to these simple rules and you will have a much better morning after experience when out on the town!

Yes, but you won’t have had any whisky. And what’s the point in that? ?

• Like 2