H. Upmann Connossieur A MEG MAY 17 12DCRC

I was able to break away to the local smoking den this morning and grabbed a Connie A to see how this box, acquired last December, was coming along.  The cigars are beautiful with a pungent aroma of fine Cuban tobacco.  I wanted to avoid potentially altering my taste buds with coffee so I bought a bottle of Coca-Cola to enjoy with this cigar.  

The first inch brought a hint of leather with a predominant woody overtone.  Pretty good, but not great. However, as soon the first piece of ash dropped off, the flavor shifted to delicious coffee cake and sweet spice.  The sweetness was enhanced on the retrohale, bringing a sensation of hot caramel.  Fortunately, these flavors persisted until about an inch remained before the band, at which time the flavor became slightly bitter, due I assume to the relatively young age of the cigar, though I was able to coax some more coffee/spice cake from the cigar before putting it down.  

The draw, burn and construction were perfect.   I am very happy to have this box in my cooler and wish I had bought more this year.  An elegant, medium-body cigar that I anticipate will improve with added rest.  

8BD79C2D-2219-478B-A57A-A3DEBB9B77A7.jpeg

CF705964-FA9F-4476-ABFD-AAF3FA98B5CF.jpeg

2D12447D-3586-4340-A8C1-BA676E35DE2D.jpeg

EA330AAF-FE85-438E-881F-5549F4D04B95.jpeg

• Like 1

Thanks for the review and corresponding box code.  I find myself starved to understand if some of 12DCRC reviews are of the cigars from the sampler or personal (and possibly aged) inventory.  This would help me set a timeline on when to sample mine...  ?

I was also keen on your review since I too have a box purchased late last year but, with code MEG Feb 17.  I decided to give one from that box a try in October of this year which put the cigar at about 1.5 years of age.  I could discern some of the flavors most others describe but, hidden behind some very youthful bitterness.

I agree with you that our boxes may need some additional rest to mitigate the youthful bitterness.  This would also mean, i would put aside the ones from the sampler but, perhaps not for as long as my boxes.

Cheers and happy smoking!

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, GranToro said:

Thanks for the review and corresponding box code.  I find myself starved to understand if some of 12DCRC reviews are of the cigars from the sampler or personal (and possibly aged) inventory.  This would help me set a timeline on when to sample mine...  ?

I was also keen on your review since I too have a box purchased late last year but, with code MEG Feb 17.  I decided to give one from that box a try in October of this year which put the cigar at about 1.5 years of age.  I could discern some of the flavors most others describe but, hidden behind some very youthful bitterness.

I agree with you that our boxes may need some additional rest to mitigate the youthful bitterness.  This would also mean, i would put aside the ones from the sampler but, perhaps not for as long as my boxes.

Cheers and happy smoking!

For what it’s worth, the first cigar I tried from this box (a few months ago), was not nearly as impressive.  The flavors were muddled and the cigar did not burn well. It may have been over humidified.  However, for whatever reason, this cigar provided a superior smoking experience.