TURKEY ADOPTING PLAIN PACKAGING FOR TOBACCO NEXT YEAR

"Next year, Turkey will become the next country to outlaw tobacco packaging.

The Turkish government has announced that beginning next year all tobacco products in the country will need to be sold in uniform, government-regulated packaging covered with health warnings that take up 85 percent of the package. Tobacco products will also be required to be sold in cabinets that are not visible to the public.

In addition, tobacco products cannot be shown on television or films in the country and advertising will be restricted, including on social media. The sale of tobacco in places where education or health services are offered or at sports stadiums will also be banned.

Smoking is already banned at restaurants and bars in the country."

Hopefully the rest of the EU does not follow suit...I don't have a huge problem with plain packaging as such...but the health warnings kill the product. 

And yet I saw tons of people smoking in Turkey last year.  In fact, many restaurants in Istanbul (according to our guide) had tables on the sidewalk for the smokers.  I maybe saw more smokers in Italy, maybe, but it was close lol

8 hours ago, Derboesekoenig said:

"Next year, Turkey will become the next country to outlaw tobacco packaging.

The Turkish government has announced that beginning next year all tobacco products in the country will need to be sold in uniform, government-regulated packaging covered with health warnings that take up 85 percent of the package. Tobacco products will also be required to be sold in cabinets that are not visible to the public.

In addition, tobacco products cannot be shown on television or films in the country and advertising will be restricted, including on social media. The sale of tobacco in places where education or health services are offered or at sports stadiums will also be banned.

Smoking is already banned at restaurants and bars in the country."

Hopefully the rest of the EU does not follow suit...I don't have a huge problem with plain packaging as such...but the health warnings kill the product. 

Except plain packaging and banning smoking scenes on films at theatres, I am surprised that Turkey is planning to have anti smoking legislation which is almost identical to Korean one, especially "tobacco products cannot be shown on television and advertising will be restricted"...

Note. Here is an example of reinforced warning sticker for all types of tobacco (incl. vaping) since this month in Korea (almost same as Australia imho). I am afraid that beauty of cigar boxes will be covered by these obnoxious warning stickers...

3 minutes ago, KnightsAnole said:

If I were Habanos, I would get out ahead of this and package all boxes in plain cardboard sleeves. That way govs could put their stickers all over them and we could easily toss them when they come home. Problem solved.

Love this idea. I hate that they ruin the boxes with those stickers. Kills it for me