Ramon Allones Specially Selected (2017/18) 12DCRC

It's strange to write a review about a cigar that I smoke almost every day but here we go!  This is a review of the stick I got with the Xmas sampler.

20181210_211430.thumb.jpg.f1ffa619762f9609b2f95f524745dcd7.jpg

I'll start with the visuals since many of us are familiar with the RASS.  This stick was particularly red, a bit of a rosado wrapper look to it that was unusual to me (I usually have claro wrapper RASS just by chance, never too many darker wrappers and much less red wrappers).  I was intrigued and wondered if it would smoke differently than my usual.  The cold draw was the typical fruity flavors that I usually get, though in my experience, the cold draw does not necessarily correlate to what you'll get when you smoke it.

Upon the first puff, I am welcomed by the familiarity of that RASS goodness.  It's fruity, it's got that raisin flavor going on with the coffee underneath that holds it all together.  RASS is one of the cigars I don't generally pair anything to drink with, or rather, I don't care what I drink with it because it's a RASS and I know what I'm getting.  As Rob has said on the forums a lot, the RASS have been good this year and I couldn't agree more (I had a box from 2015 a while back that was garbage).

The one thing about RASS is that they are never too complex, but that is why I like them--they are reliable.  As you smoke it down, you get that raisin flavor mingling with the coffee.  The start is more raisins to me than coffee, but by the half way mark, they are mixed together and the coffee grows stronger.  To me, this is not a milk coffee like a Cohiba, but rather a dark black coffee, which makes the raisins and fruitiness all the more interesting in my opinion.  It reminds me of a coffee tasting I went to where we were being told that this coffee is fruity.  I couldn't really taste it at the time as I'm not a big coffee drinker, but as a cigar smoker, fruity coffee makes sense to me now.

So the last third does a bit of a switch-up, the coffee is dominant and the fruit/raisins take a back seat but are still very much present.  In the RASS, I find the coffee to always be the underlying flavor with the raisin and fruit notes being "on top", they really shine through in certain moments and puffs, while the coffee remains a constant.  If the RASS were a song, the coffee would be the bass notes and the raisins/fruit would be the higher octave melodies.

20181210_213817.thumb.jpg.a2a8a68878e5ed625f2e97d6bde3e96b.jpg

Good to the last puff, I fashioned a terrible cigar stand out of my brand and finished it off.  RASS is one of my go to cigars and I really like it for its strong flavor and consistency.  I'm sure most of us now have tried it.  I've personally tried it many many times.

• Like 2

:2thumbs:

Superb review 

A clean and simple review and I cannot say much more than : You spot on !

TRhis is the kind of experience I get every day when somking my daily RASS

What a pleasure and I get the same exact descriptoin everytime i smoke one RASS

Mmmh:ok:?

To enjoy a RASS is a daily pleasure you can get in the morning or during the day, even with a nice long drink it is a nice moment.  

• Like 1