MJ Cigar Aficianado interview snippet

the interview has 2 parts: until 1' and after that.

0-1': the funny part.

Shanken burning to hell the pre-castro cigar. jordan asking for the lighter and shanken didnt seeing it (or ignoring him). jordan putting his hand close to the lighter (afraid of the wind? lol).

1'-3': the serious part.

interesting jordan position but apparently he is not so into cuban politics as he thinks. schanken telling him that his visit would have a good impact.

PS: every time I hear about jordan all I can remember are the stories I heard about him being a miser-jerk with waiters.

• Like 1

This gentleman broke a few rules of decency and became the subject of ridicule:
- if you're hosting a guest, you have to offer him first to cut and light a cigar.;
- the cigar need to burn carefully, without burning the wrapper and not overheating the tobacco.
For a representative of the magazine CA - a complete failure...

When I was in New Orleans, I decided to give a local custom rolled cigar a try. I had not bothered to bring out my lighter that evening (wasn't planning on smoking), so the shop guy offered to light my cigar. He lit it the exact same way and charred about 2 inches of wrapper. :wacko:

7 hours ago, nKostyan said:

This gentleman broke a few rules of decency and became the subject of ridicule:
- if you're hosting a guest, you have to offer him first to cut and light a cigar.;
- the cigar need to burn carefully, without burning the wrapper and not overheating the tobacco.
For a representative of the magazine CA - a complete failure...

He is not a representative. He OWNS the magazine!!!:rotfl:

13 hours ago, oliverdst said:

PS: every time I hear about jordan all I can remember are the stories I heard about him being a miser-jerk with waiters.

Unfortunately being the GOAT basketballer doesn't make you a good bloke

7 minutes ago, bayala said:

Hard to say. I’d sure hate to have my every action, word, and experience under a microscope. I’m no Jordan fanboy, but I doubt any of us could withstand the scrutiny of not being allowed to have a bad day. I also know for a fact that MJ has given tens of millions of dollars to countless charities. 

What did impress with with the interview is how successful Jordan has become outside of basketball. Most (about 99%) of professional atheletes waste all their wealth and most end up filing bankruptcy. For Jordan to amass a net worth of $1b is incredible. 

I don’t pay a lot of attention to CA’s cigar ratings as their seems to be little doubt that their advertising revenue influences their blessing of a particular smoke. That being said, the interviews and articles are compelling. For anyone who hadn’t read Schanken’s interview of Castro, it’s worth a read. He is a very good interviewer. 

And considering all that Schanken has done for the cigar industry, maybe we cut him some slack too? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Markspring1978 said:

Hard to say. I’d sure hate to have my every action, word, and experience under a microscope. I’m no Jordan fanboy, but I doubt any of us could withstand the scrutiny of not being allowed to have a bad day. I also know for a fact that MJ has given tens of millions of dollars to countless charities. 

What did impress with with the interview is how successful Jordan has become outside of basketball. Most (about 99%) of professional atheletes waste all their wealth and most end up filing bankruptcy. For Jordan to amass a net worth of $1b is incredible. 

I don’t pay a lot of attention to CA’s cigar ratings as their seems to be little doubt that their advertising revenue influences their blessing of a particular smoke. That being said, the interviews and articles are compelling. For anyone who hadn’t read Schanken’s interview of Castro, it’s worth a read. He is a very good interviewer. 

And considering all that Schanken has done for the cigar industry, maybe we cut him some slack too? 

No doubt he's a very successful businessman and philanthropist. There just seems to be a disproportionate amount of negative stories that have come out regarding MJ in comparison to say a Lebron, Kobe, Magic etc. 

Definitely enjoyed this video though and didn't post it as a dig. Would love to track down the full version. 

He is not a representative. He OWNS the magazine!!!default_rotfl.gif

You can be just a businessman and earn money, but if you decide to interview, be kind-learn the minimum necessary skills of handling cigars, so as not to disgrace the whole world

3 hours ago, bayala said:

must say i always heard really good things about him. but given he was surrounded by people like dennis rodman and charles barkley, that may have helped his image.

watching the vid, and thanks for posting, seeing him light it was what first hit me as well.

didn't know jordan's wife was cuban. 

i was not any great basketball fan but when i lived in the states, and this was before the bulls won anything, i would get the weekly tv program (do they still have those?) and go through and mark down the times for all bulls games, just so i could watch him. he was that special. 

Read an article stating he would receive baked goods from his mom... and spit on them to make sure his body guards never ate any of them.

i remember, back when i lived in the states, jordan offering to take a massive paycut so they could keep players like pippen on the roster as he was keen to win a championship. 

doesn't really sound like a bloke spitting on cookies. and seriously, anyone who can afford bodyguards really doesn't need his mum to bake cakes for him. 

that said, like all great athletes, no doubt far from perfect. 

12 hours ago, Markspring1978 said:

$1.7 Billion. Yes he is extremely charitable, but it's pennies from his net worth.

He's more charitable than most, but it's still pennies...

Reminds me of when the media made a huge deal about Jeff Bezos charitable donations, and it was pennies for him as well. And it gets complicated when you delve into all of his business ventures and what really goes on. 

Anyway, I don't know much about Schanken but he's at least tried to put together a decent magazine for afficionados and connoisseurs of cigars. He does a halfway decent interview. Maybe some things I would've done differently, but oh well.  

2 hours ago, MD Puffer said:

In all fairness to the interviewer, he's smoking cigars with (and interviewing) Michael Jordan.  

Considering what a opportunity it was for him, kudos to him for not making a monumental screw-up out of it.

Wait. Torching your cigar, not handing Mike the lighter, then telling him you would never take him to Cuba because it would be a huge pain in your ass is considered not screwing it up monumentally? Wow. Expectations have really plummeted lately. That clip was painful to watch, is anyone curios why the rest of it isn't available? Probably because the rest of it went just as well...….

I love all the people with nothing to add other than "some guy I've never met is a piece of shit, because I heard somebody else say so" haha That's really all you have to add to this? How embarrassing. Both times I've met him he's been nothing but gracious, polite and warm. Losers hate winners, I'll leave it at that. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Corylax18 said:

Wait. Torching your cigar, not handing Mike the lighter, then telling him you would never take him to Cuba because it would be a huge pain in your ass is considered not screwing it up monumentally? Wow. Expectations have really plummeted lately. That clip was painful to watch, is anyone curios why the rest of it isn't available? Probably because the rest of it went just as well...….

I love all the people with nothing to add other than "some guy I've never met is a piece of shit, because I heard somebody else say so" haha That's really all you have to add to this? How embarrassing. Both times I've met him he's been nothing but gracious, polite and warm. Losers hate winners, I'll leave it at that. 

Dude.  It's Michael Jordan.  It's not like he's chatting with just any old celebrity.  It's MJ guy.  He's a paragon.  An icon.  

Or maybe he's just not up to snuff in general (I haven't watched him in any other videos). 

But like I said.  That's Jordan.  JORDAN!

DWQOGF0UQAA4op9.jpg

• Like 1