Flavor transfers in CC housed together?

Hey,

I’m a newbie to CC and I was wondering if any of you guys worry or have experiences with flavor transferring amongst CC’s housed together? I know this isn’t an issue with NCC because of the cellophane wrappers. I have a wineador setup with all draws and I could only accommodate maybe 2-3 boxes.... the rest would be stored in a draw together. Any thoughts or experiences would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Have never heard of this being brought up before. I'd say you're overthinking it, but I've no proof. I wouldn't worry too much. The amount of time it would take, if this were possible, would defeat the point as the flavors would change so much in 20 or 30+ years that you would never know which variable did the most change. So many hypotheticals lately lol

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Jmc1983 said:

Hey,

I’m a newbie to CC and I was wondering if any of you guys worry or have experiences with flavor transferring amongst CC’s housed together? I know this isn’t an issue with NCC because of the cellophane wrappers. I have a wineador setup with all draws and I could only accommodate maybe 2-3 boxes.... the rest would be stored in a draw together. Any thoughts or experiences would be appreciated!

Thanks!

I don't worry about it.  As implied above, if you happen to have flavored cigars, store them separately.  Will say I started to remove drawers from my wineador as it filled to accommodate more boxes.  I've since traded it out for something bigger as I outgrew it.  If you are talking about long term aging, I prefer boxes for both organization and protection.  Some people bag or seal their boxes (there are plenty of varying opinions).  

For simply storing sticks that you will smoke in the next year or two I wouldn't sweat it.  If you start accumulating boxes and are thinking about long term aging you may alter your setup slightly, but until that's the case, I would just pile them in with as much organization as you can muster and enjoy!  

• Thanks 1

Don't let them commingle!!! They will produce ungodly interracial spawn. Oh the horror! It is a criminal offence in all but two states (although smoking infused and non-infused cigars simultaneously is illegal in all states).

Don't sweat it. I wouldn't put artificially infused cigars (if you have those) with other cigars, I suspect the oils and chemicals from infused cigars can transfer to other cigars.

• Thanks 1

Back in the 1990’s the B&M/Lounges I frequented warned against long term storage commingling.

I wasn’t purchasing by the box, like I do now. I think few people were buying by the box then. Thinking back, the shop crew would generally be surprised with box purchases, I spent more time at the shop than I should have...

I would use the dividers in my desktop humidors to separate CC from NC, but I was just following the advice of the people selling to me.

My palate is not refined enough to taste a difference. But, if there is transfer of oils and moisture, and if those byproducts carry flavonoids then over time there will be transference. Measurable by the human taste buds? Not mine.

I buy cigars by the box now, and store them the same way. I have no proof it makes a difference.

• Thanks 1

Slightly off topic, but does anyone have concerns about leaving loose cigars open in a wineador where the fan is running and blowing air over them?  When I got my first wineador, I had some loose Padrons with no cello, and after a couple months the wrappers seemed to get dry and brittle, even though the wineador was staying around 68-70%, and nothing else was drying out.  I thought maybe it was the airflow, since it was in a hot garage in the summer and the fan was running quite a bit.

Since then, I keep my CC quarter boxes and loosies in ziplocks, not fully sealed.  Mostly it helps with organization, but in my mind I like the idea of shielding them from any airflow.

3 hours ago, slowsmoke said:

Slightly off topic, but does anyone have concerns about leaving loose cigars open in a wineador where the fan is running and blowing air over them?  When I got my first wineador, I had some loose Padrons with no cello, and after a couple months the wrappers seemed to get dry and brittle, even though the wineador was staying around 68-70%, and nothing else was drying out.  I thought maybe it was the airflow, since it was in a hot garage in the summer and the fan was running quite a bit.

Since then, I keep my CC quarter boxes and loosies in ziplocks, not fully sealed.  Mostly it helps with organization, but in my mind I like the idea of shielding them from any airflow.

I have not experienced that issue. Many of my cigars have been in that wineador for ~1 year. Before that I had them in a traditional wood humidor which has severe RH issues. I have a couple of cigar with slightly brittle wrappers, I believe that is from the cheap wood humidor that they were kept in before in the cold and dry northern US winter. Since switching to the wineador *knock on wood* there haven’t been any issues. 

Not the first time I hear this brought up, I believe Dr. Joe warned against it in a few of his episodes on long term storage. I always assumed it was an assumption and not something learned by actual experience. As mentioned previously, it would be hard to pinpoint exactly what changed and why it changed. 

You can always cut little cedar strips that come in many boxes and place them between sticks you don’t want commingling.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, JIK said:

Not the first time I hear this brought up, I believe Dr. Joe warned against it in a few of his episodes on long term storage. I always assumed it was an assumption and not something learned by actual experience. As mentioned previously, it would be hard to pinpoint exactly what changed and why it changed. 

You can always cut little cedar strips that come in many boxes and place them between sticks you don’t want commingling.

.....Dr. Joe?

58 minutes ago, mtapia3 said:

I wish that guy was still making videos. I thoroughly enjoyed watching him. I’ve never seen anyone as passionate about CCs as him. 

Yeah he was great. Not sure what happened there. I read various rumors but never found anything definitive. He just had a great show and a nice cigar and cigar “stuff” collection. 

Does anyone else know? Off topic, sorry.

I believe it was confirmed from his main source of cigars (if you watched his show, you know which vendor I'm referring to) that he unfortunately passed away from a sinus (or similar) related infection.