Wallabies appoint Scott Johnson Director of Rugby

ayepatz

Here we go. I can imagine how this will go down with @Ken Gargett - “We’re really scraping the bottom of the barrel if we’re recruiting from Scotland!” ?

271755CF-F7A0-44B1-9D35-1B6C0C74C944.thumb.jpeg.a1e1f20858ece33dbc11fc1a0e21111b.jpeg

05E98DDA-80F6-4E1A-9B2E-790ADA7AA413.thumb.jpeg.68366558fad3198008f5da6c4709b54c.jpeg

Further analysis here:-

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/no-one-really-knows-the-impact-of-scotland-s-invisible-man-scott-johnson-f59h32792?shareToken=7b9b5ecf51a9461b52be5795b5bd860e

Statistically, he’s done a far better job as Director of Rugby in Scotland than he ever did as a coach, as I mentioned in a previous thread:-

Is this really the solution the Wallabies need? I’m dubious, but do I know that not all Scots are sorry to lose him.

i got the "news" from RA a few days ago, as did an ever-incredulous world. a few mates and i have been emailing. one asked if i had seen the article on the roar site by spiro zavos - spiro was dep-ed of the SMH i think but also the rugby writer for many years. always assumed that it was his other positions that allowed him to keep the rugby spot as i doubt he did a column in decades i ever agreed with. appalling stuff. i remember a couple of quotes as they are burned into my brain. he was an ella-sycophant and one of those idiots who believed everything north of the border was crap and everything below magical. "the 40 test experiment with michael lynagh must stop" and "little and horan are not good centres". the death penalty wwas immediately imposed upon him should he ever stick his nose north of the tweed.

but lately, he has mellowed and started to make more sense. so i was asked about the article. for clarification, he had suggested genia as a possible captain. and the moron in question is the current captain, hooper. the clown is chieka, although i suspect no one needed to be told that. 

suffice to say that this has done nothing for me.

lunching with an old Wallaby prop on friday. keen to hear his latest thoughts. 

It is a sad day when one is reduced to agreeing with Spiro. Although genia as captain? I guess anything would be better than beans for brains. There isn’t a cane toad hopping about out there who would not put in a better performance as captain than that moron. But the clown can’t see that. Just as he can’t see that the defence coach is supposed to be able to coach defence. I know it is not a perfect world but surely the defence coach should have some basic idea.

As far as I can see, all the top brass of RA got together and decided, despite crying poor, that they would add another layer, and endless more costs and bureaucracy and levels of arse-covering, to the entire thing.

But wait, we are what, 9 months from the kickoff to the WC? And this new appointment will not take place for another 3-4 months. What the hell is the point? It is another attempt to shift the powers that be, that vile raylene and her sycophants, a little further from blame. Just as she apparently had nothing to do with the cesspool she left at the bulldogs – all someone else and not her, despite the fact that wasn’t she CEO? – she’ll be blameless in this.

But this monster review that they all engaged in, also decided to have three selectors. Normal fans could not have finished a beer in the time it took to come up with that braindead gem – of course we needed a new selection arrangement. The previous one has been imbecilic. But said powers that be could not, in all that time, actually work out who the 3rd person would be. Seriously? Sounds more like everyone they asked said run away and leave me alone and won’t come near the dumpster fire.

I also saw david lord’s piece – why they keep letting him out of his coffin is beyond me – saying macqueen or dwyer must be the 3rd selector. Neither have been that closely involved in any coaching for ages, as far as I am aware. Dwyer? So two from Randwick then. In which case, I would track down how to watch those Kardashian people so I could do that at any time a wallaby test was on. That would be the absolute final straw.

All of the crap and they want a three man panel from nsw? After all this endless rubbish? That happens and I cannot imagine anything I would not prefer doing than even hearing about the wallabies ever again.

So the answer to your question was yes, I saw it.

I was thinking about this appointment today, and interestingly, I reflected on how important is was that Australian Rugby got the likes of John Eales, Michael Lynagh, Tim Horan, Jason Little et al. involved in our mentoring and or coaching. Yes, they're all Queenslanders, but more more importantly, they all represent the most successful Rugby Union players in our recent playing history. We really need guys of this calibre in our system. I can't help but feel that we won't get them until the administration changes.