Alistair Cook is set to be knighted - Arise Sir Alistair!

JohnS

Alistair Cook is set to be knighted in the New Year for services to the game of cricket. He will become the first active cricketer to be knighted since Sir Richard Hadlee in 1990 as he will continue to play first-class cricket for Essex next season.

The full story below...

Alastair Cook, England's former captain and all-time leading Test run-scorer, is set to receive a knighthood in the New Year's honours, after bowing out of international cricket with a 33rd and final century against India this summer.

According to a report in The Times, Cook, who turns 34 on Christmas Day, will become the first England cricketer to be knighted since Sir Ian Botham back in 2007, and only the tenth overall.

In the course of one of the most indomitable Test careers of all time, Cook amassed a total of 12,472 Test runs in 161 England appearances, both national records, the latter including an unprecedented 159 matches in succession.

The only Test that Cook missed in the course of a 12-year England career was at Mumbai on England's tour of India in March 2006. It was the same trip on which he marked his debut with a century at Nagpur, at the age of 21, having flown halfway around the world from the Caribbean as a last-minute injury replacement.

Cook's career included a five-year tenure as England captain, from 2012 to 2017. In that period, he led his country in a record 59 Tests, winning the Ashes twice on home soil, in 2013 and 2015, and leading from the front with three centuries on a famous 2-1 series win in India in 2012-13.

His most prolific series with the bat, and arguably his most famous hour, came on the Ashes tour of 2010-11 when he racked up 766 runs in five Tests, including a then-Test-best of 235 not out at Brisbane, to underpin England's first series win in Australia since 1986-87.

Though his returns fell away in the final 18 months of his career, Cook's tenacity remained at the forefront of his game to the bitter end, with two more double-centuries against West Indies and Australia in the final 12 months of his career, prior to an extraordinary send-off in his final match against India at The Oval in September.

Having announced his impending retirement, following a fallow summer in which he had made a solitary half-century in ten innings against Pakistan and India, Cook followed up a first-innings 71 at The Oval with a commanding 147 in the second, a brace of scores which echoed his fifty/hundred achievement on debut 12 years earlier and culminated in an extended standing ovation as England pressed on to a memorable 118-run win.

Though Cook has retired from England duty, he will remain available for the foreseeable for his county, Essex, with whom he recently signed a new three-year deal.

As and when he takes the field in the 2019 season, Cook is set to become the first active professional cricketer with a knighthood since Sir Richard Hadlee bowed out on New Zealand's Test tour of England in 1990.

Source: http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/25561220/arise-sir-alastair-cook-set-new-year-knighthood

6 hours ago, Fuzz said:

Who?

You're right. We need to re-open knighthoods for Australian citizens. Can you imagine...arise, Sir Fuzz! But it wasn't that long ago that Tony Abbott suffered national condemnation for doing so (then again, he did bestow an honour upon Prince Philip, the Duke of Edinburgh!)

9 hours ago, JohnS said:

You're right. We need to re-open knighthoods for Australian citizens. Can you imagine...arise, Sir Fuzz! But it wasn't that long ago that Tony Abbott suffered national condemnation for doing so (then again, he did bestow an honour upon Prince Philip, the Duke of Edinburgh!)

and in doing so, showed that there was no australian more out of touch with reality than him. and he still thinks he can be PM? 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Ken Gargett said:

and in doing so, showed that there was no australian more out of touch with reality than him. and he still thinks he can be PM? 

3 hours ago, JohnS said:

Yes, exactly!

Why can't I be PM? :P

Knighthoods (these days) are given out, as an adrenaline shot to the heart of a country that is under the greyest of clouds. Almost delivered as clickbate, its a sad cheapening of the title.  The fact that Clive Woodward holds the title, is vomit inducing.    That said, I despise the monarchy, and the special handshakes that are passed around,  so I actively hope it continues to become pathetic, and hopefully dies out all together. 

I have a feeling Megan Marckle might destroy the death star all by herself, with her Bono-esk self assertion as an important role model. Sorry!? what have you done again?? oh yes, second rate actress.............no, quite right you are indeed in the same league of Nelson Mandela, maybe even Gandhi 

9 hours ago, 99call said:

Knighthoods (these days) are given out, as an adrenaline shot to the heart of a country that is under the greyest of clouds. Almost delivered as clickbate, its a sad cheapening of the title.  The fact that Clive Woodward holds the title, is vomit inducing.    That said, I despise the monarchy, and the special handshakes that are passed around,  so I actively hope it continues to become pathetic, and hopefully dies out all together. 

I have a feeling Megan Marckle might destroy the death star all by herself, with her Bono-esk self assertion as an important role model. Sorry!? what have you done again?? oh yes, second rate actress.............no, quite right you are indeed in the same league of Nelson Mandela, maybe even Gandhi 

second rate actress? can't believe she has suddenly had such an elevation. still, hubby did think it was perfectly appropriate for 3rd in line to throne to dress up as a nazi. made for each other. 

14 minutes ago, Ken Gargett said:

second rate actress? can't believe she has suddenly had such an elevation. still, hubby did think it was perfectly appropriate for 3rd in line to throne to dress up as a nazi. made for each other. 

Shiiii. Ok she is no Mother Teresa, but she isn't that bad...

Look at all the people who worship the Kardashians. Disgusting

Nazi?? Lol I don't remember that 

1 minute ago, Derboesekoenig said:

Shiiii. Ok she is no Mother Teresa, but she isn't that bad...

Look at all the people who worship the Kardashians. Disgusting

Nazi?? Lol I don't remember that 

the nazi thing was some sort of fancy dress party with mates. one hand, harmless fun with friends but on the other, in his position? spare me, how thoughtless and stupid.

mother teresa? didn't know she could act. beyond that, i have absolutely no idea what sort of person mmmmarckle is, and less interest. could not care if she is the next queen (wasn't me that made comment) but that said, not sure i want any follower of the kardashians or any of their ilk in any position of responsibility (so no problems with them as part of the royal family). 

11 hours ago, Ken Gargett said:

The Royals were very much supportative of rightwing elements in Germany (mainly because they're all related) pre the uprising of the brownshirts, then I think they realised, it was very much a 'bad look'. 

Maybe Harry thought is was a Buddist meditation gown, and didn't realise it was in fact a swastika,  I'm sure thats what the papers would try to spin these days

• 2 weeks later...