Cigar Aficionado - Cigar of the Year 2018

Not that anyone here cares about this sort of thing...

I’ve never seen, much less, smoked one of these. 

Anyone here have experience with this one?

https://www.cigaraficionado.com/top25cigar/e-p-carrillo-encore-majestic-2018

• JohnS changed the title to Cigar Aficionado - Cigar of the Year 2018

I haven’t had it. I also didn’t see any rave reviews when it came out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Markspring1978 said:

Never seen them!  Which is surprising because I still smoke NCs.  The my father opulencia they feature on the list is good.  I ordered a box of the Carrillos out of curiosity just now.  I'll let you know how they are.

The Oliva Ser V Melanios are all good across the range of vitolas as well.  Many of those, including the #1, I've never heard of.  I think if I were to make my own list, there'd be 22 CCs and a few NCs.  Just goes to show you how important and decisive advertising revenue is. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, NYgarman said:

The whole top 10 was a joke, IMO. 

I completely agree. 

Needless to say, they didn’t consult Rob’s top 10 list for 2018. The one CC on the top 10 is the H. Upman Sir Winston. Huh? 

I think they need an overhaul on their methodology and their tasting panel. 

*Can't help noticing the great bulk of these year's top cigars in CA are of Nicaraguan tobacco.

Ummm...?

...you realize it’s a subjective list, right?

...and that their business relies almost exclusively on advertising.

...and that said advertisers are paying to be on that list.

...and Habanos SA pays nothing to be on the list?

Then you know why the top 25 list is the way it is.  It’s worth pointing out that it’s like this every year, so spark up a nice Cuban and enjoy the nice glossy ads! ?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, cookj1 said:

Ummm...?

...you realize it’s a subjective list, right?

...and that their business relies almost exclusively on advertising.

...and that said advertisers are paying to be on that list.

...and Habanos SA pays nothing to be on the list?

Then you know why the top 25 list is the way it is.  It’s worth pointing out that it’s like this every year, so spark up a nice Cuban and enjoy the nice glossy ads! ?

I started this post because I was really curious if someone has smoked the EPC, I had never even heard of it. 

While it is a subjective list, and I’m sure that ad dollars do play a role, I have found the lists interesting, and I’ve discovered some good NCs from these lists. 

And, I think everyone can agree that 2018 wasn’t a banner year for CCs. 

1 hour ago, Markspring1978 said:

I started this post because I was really curious if someone has smoked the EPC, I had never even heard of it. 

While it is a subjective list, and I’m sure that ad dollars do play a role, I have found the lists interesting, and I’ve discovered some good NCs from these lists. 

I agree the list is a fun and interesting way to see some new NCs.  If you aren't smoking all the NCs under the sun, it's hard to know what's out there and what might be worth trying.  I got some tremendous CC sticks in 2018, so despite some QC complaints, I found it to be a solid year.  All that aside, I found some EPCs for a reasonable price online this morning, so I imagine you can find some to check out!!  But I will report back my findings as well.

Always good for some hilarity these lists. Even Cigarjournal has gone to the dark side. I smoked a Myfathgercigars 1922 Le Bijou the other day, second time and giving it a second chance, as the first was dire. I confirmed its a piece of junk, no complexity whatsoever, all strength and power, no elegance apart from the huge band and Orange ribbon on the foot.

Love the SW, but they are a rarity these days.

Keith.

16 hours ago, Markspring1978 said:

...just my observations based on purchases made this year: I didn’t have any bad cigars.  In fact, I thought the 2018 tobacco was pretty decent.  I’ll probably get a better gauge for the quality next year as the 2018 stock filters down the system.

4 minutes ago, peteando said:

Never tried the epc. Smoked a fair amount of tats tho.  If I gave you 10 diff. Tatuajes to smoke, the fausto is going to be in your bottom 2 or 3.  That pretty much sums up how useless this list is.  

Funny you should say that about the Fausto. I looked at the CA list and thought, “that’s about the only Tatuaje cigar I don’t like.” ?