Port

Markspring1978

Here's some pretty rare bottles we drank last weekend at my house.  We had a few others, but these two are the fancy ones.  This may be the oldest Graham vintage port I have known anyone to have ever tried.  I know a few people into port as well.

1887 grahams.JPG

• Like 4

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here's some pretty rare bottles we drank last weekend at my house.  We had a few others, but these two are the fancy ones.  This may be the oldest Graham vintage port I have known anyone to have ever

Here's a port wall leading down to the cellar of some the best bottles consumed since we moved to our current home about 4 years ago: I only use one of each, so several we've had many times

both really good, especially the grahams. both will go longer than most of us will live. i'd suggest at 14 years, they will still be very young. 20-25 if you can. if you have enough then certainly try

16 hours ago, BrightonCorgi said:

Here's some pretty rare bottles we drank last weekend at my house.  We had a few others, but these two are the fancy ones.  This may be the oldest Graham vintage port I have known anyone to have ever tried.  I know a few people into port as well.

1887 grahams.JPG

Wow impressive lineup there!

20 hours ago, BrightonCorgi said:

1887 grahams.JPG

Wow!!! Interested in your observations of these ultra-aged selections. 

On 3/4/2019 at 3:02 PM, BrightonCorgi said:

Adopt me?  :D

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/21/2018 at 1:09 PM, Markspring1978 said:

Anyone here into Port? 

Apparently, 2016 was a great vintage, but I haven’t tried much of it. 

If anyone has recommendations on notable bottling, I’d love feedback. 

rob puts up the Q&P stuff i do on cigars but this one was on the 2016 VPs. https://quillandpad.com/2019/03/18/port-vintage-2016-one-of-the-most-declared-vintages-of-all-time-a-sensational-year/

hope it helps a bit. 

On 3/5/2019 at 6:02 AM, BrightonCorgi said:

1887 grahams.JPG

a mate pulled out what he thought was an 1840s grahams a few years ago. but it was all a bit bizarre. he had told us he was bringing a 1890s VP to lunch. he believed it to be grahams. he got a lot of these ports as one of his businesses years ago was antiques which he would buy at estate auctions in the UK and then ship to australia. this was back in the 60s and possibly 70s (and possibly even earlier) at many of the country estate auctions, there would also be wines from the family cellar and back in those days, they were just tossed into the general auction. no one ever turned up for wines and so he picked up unbelievable gems for peanuts. he cracked a 1961 Mouton for lunch not so long ago as an example.

he also had a massive stash of the 1963s which i think he got in the UK in this way. back in the 80s when i was studying/working in london, he asked me to go to sothebys as he was selling fifty cases of the 63s, to check the sale. he realised about A$50 a bottle for them back then (peanuts now) but he told me he averaged $5 a bottle when he bought them. so nice little profit but i'd rather the port. i asked him why he was selling because i knew he didn't need the money. selling, because even after those fifty went off, he still had far more port, and more 63s, than he could ever drink (we've done our best to challenge that).

but i digress. the port, supposedly 1890s, was spectacular. then he rang me a few days later to apologise as it was not his 1890 but one he had from the 1840s (only other 1840s i've drunk has been ferreira - the 1847 out of magnums and a few of us made real little piggies of ourselves over several magnums, but i digress again). he believed it to have been a grahams 1840s. 

in all honesty, while i don't doubt it was 1840s, i'm not sure he was organised well enough to be certain which producer. so it might have been grahams (probable as he was pretty certain) but it could have been anything. 

sadly, he is suffering some dementia so we rarely see him these days and i can't imagine the stars he has in the cellar (one bastard went around recently and told him he was there to collect the 1921 Yquem for lunch which he then drank without our mate). he has opened many of the great bottles of my life. 

2 hours ago, Ken Gargett said:

(one bastard went around recently and told him he was there to collect the 1921 Yquem for lunch which he then drank without our mate).

That's a fairly polite term. I would have used a string of obscenities... and then have to moderate myself.

1 minute ago, Fuzz said:

That's a fairly polite term. I would have used a string of obscenities... and then have to moderate myself.

he was advised very appropriately what a number of us thought. he still sees himself as doing nothing wrong. the 'he would have wanted us to enjoy it' defence holds no water for me.  

6 hours ago, Ken Gargett said:

but i digress. the port, supposedly 1890s, was spectacular. then he rang me a few days later to apologise as it was not his 1890 but one he had from the 1840s (only other 1840s i've drunk has been ferreira - the 1847 out of magnums and a few of us made real little piggies of ourselves over several magnums, but i digress again). he believed it to have been a grahams 1840s. 

I had a Ferreira from around 1850 about a decade ago and friend's Christmas party.  Was in fantastic shape.  Ferreira is one of the longest lived ports.  Never a block buster, but can sit a plateau for what seems an eternity.  

1842 Grahams is listed as "Probably" a vintage and 1847 "Produced & Sold" according "Port Vintages" by Juilian Wiseman (considered the reference to vintage ports).

8 hours ago, BrightonCorgi said:

I had a Ferreira from around 1850 about a decade ago and friend's Christmas party.  Was in fantastic shape.  Ferreira is one of the longest lived ports.  Never a block buster, but can sit a plateau for what seems an eternity.  

1842 Grahams is listed as "Probably" a vintage and 1847 "Produced & Sold" according "Port Vintages" by Juilian Wiseman (considered the reference to vintage ports).

the ferriera 1847 was from an event in oporto. the organisers were fabulous - it was a big portuguese wine event over several days and we had gone to a number of tastings and events and went to a colheita tasting back to 1900 which was fascinating. as we were leaving my portuguese friend called me over and she asked if we could stay another day, as we had planned leaving first up next morning. i asked why.

because tomorrow, we will do the old ones. so, how could you not stay?

it was a vertical of ferriera back to 1847. there was one from the 1890s and the 1917 and a 30s and a couple of others (a fifties, i think). i'd have written down somewhere (away from home so have to try and remember to check when back). but, as well-meaning as they were, they had no idea how to organise something like this. they had opened everything and when the small class left, they had numerous opened bottles of port, direct from the cellars, just waiting to be drunk. including magnums of the 1847. we were due at a dinner but three of us gave it our best crack. and they just kept pouring. till we poured out, four hours late for dinner (fortunately a casual event so no one cared). remember speaking to an old winemaker that evening (about the only thing i remember) who is still around - saw him last september - who asked about the 1847. he wanted to know as his grandmother (great-grandmother??) had made it and he only had three bottles left. the treasures those guys must have! 

i stuffed up not getting julian's book when it came out. talked to them and as it only went up to the mid 80s, i think, i passed. but have been in touch about getting one of the leftovers they have. you've reminded me that i must chase them up. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Ken Gargett said:

the ferriera 1847 was from an event in oporto. the organisers were fabulous -

You're lucky to be invited to Port events.  All these wines I mention, I just drink at my house with a friend or two.  We've done a few proper tastings here, but it's been many years since the last one.  

5 hours ago, BrightonCorgi said:

You're lucky to be invited to Port events.  All these wines I mention, I just drink at my house with a friend or two.  We've done a few proper tastings here, but it's been many years since the last one.  

i will concede that i am indeed. do not take it for granted (at least i hope i don't) although sometimes i miss the early days and the excitement of going to a tasting organised by mates. or held by wineries for the public. one does get a bit blasé about those but i try not. 

technically work, but nothing wrong with enjoying work. and it does always remind me that i am not at these things because of my good looks or because people like me. simply because they hope i can do something for them. and if/when someone else comes along who'll give them more or better, end of invites!