Rafael Gonzalez Perlas

bluesbyers

There was a long thread on these little buggers last year - search for "Rafael Gonzales Perlas Question".

Bottom line is that they are highly regarded, bloody tasty and good value for money. I got through a 50 cab in under a year...

Sent from my ActionMan walkie-talkie

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Not much sweetness.  A dry, engaging complexity with class, reminiscent of Cohiba with some Montecristo aroma/cocoa. Mild/medium flavors. I agree they are tasty little buggers!  Surprisingly good.  These are my thoughts from tasting box code BMS 1/2015, so four years old. In my opinion, ready at four years, however I'd expect them to keep aging longer with ease.  No idea about sampling earlier, haven't had the opportunity.  If this sounds good, I wouldn't hesitate.

How many years are others suggesting?

On 3/1/2019 at 11:00 PM, DeskSmkr said:

How many years are others suggesting

Smoking through a couple RAE OCT 14 boxes and they have all been excellent. Wouldn't hesitate to pick them up at any age really, but 4-5 seems perfect.

• Thanks 1

Allow me to detract.  I tried them - from several boxes - and they are a no-go for me.  I found the profile dry and off-putting.  I am a HUGE fan of the RGPC - always have about 2 boxes on hand as I love them with age.

• Like 1

On 3/1/2019 at 11:00 PM, DeskSmkr said:

How many years are others suggesting?

i like to try this cigar fresh since I tend to like spunky freshies, but I bought three boxes of RGP in the last year and they were each from early 2015...and that was from at least two different vendors, possibly three.

Did they fill warehouses of RGP in 2015 or what?

I forget the code of the first of those boxes, but I found the BMA JUN 15 that I smoked last winter to be a very different experience from the PMS ABR 15 I'm smoking through now. The earlier box was in a familiar morning coffee cigar taste space: earth, cinnamony cedar, citrus twang, occasional bursts of sour cream, some sprinkles of black pepper. The new box is much "darker" and echoing earthson, I guess you could call it a "dry" smoke. I just smoked one for this post. earth, raw mushroom, somewhat bitter tannic wood transitioning into wood and mouth tingling red pepper at the end. Middle of the cigar had hints of mineral water and a greasy beef fat undercurrent, which I found a bit unusual.. More a late night smoky scotch accomplice than a greet the day morning coffee smoke.

Although to date i have smoked a fair number of these RG perlas, I have no idea how to summarize them. My experiences are very varied and hit opposite ends of the spectrum. I liked the earlier boxes a bit more but I keep hitting this earthy box because they are really different and unorthodox. I can understand how the latter could be off-putting. I'm still not sure if I like them or not, but they are intriguing.

I see my post is still heading this forum while I happen to be smoking another PMS ABR 15 RGP.

This one started out strong unsweetened black coffee and bitter walnut skin, then progressed through wet earth and candle wax sense with a hint of white pepper, and ending up cedar, pepper and a bit of greasy nutty flavor.. Brazil nut or macadamia nut, a fruit of Oz if I am not mistaken.

The cigar is devoid of sweetness but the Dogfish Head 90 Minute Imperial IPA (syrupy 10% alc. brew) on the table brings that to the party. A good combo.

Another interesting RG Perla experience! Too short perhaps. Guess I'll follow that one up with a Cohiba Short since I have half of the IPA left to enjoy and that cigar went by all too quickly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Another positive recommendation for the RGP. It's just a notch below the Monte 5 IMO and at 60% of the price. Tremendous value. And they're extremely consistent in both flavor and construction.

I vacillate between RGP, RyJ CeC and PLP as my daily cheap & cheerful. 

I’ve got RG Panetellas. Tried 4 out of the box. Miserably plugged. Bought a draw tool, thought I’d try another one (aroma on the plugged cigars fantastic). After a year or so, not only had the draw loosened to perfect, the flavor was amazing.

Maybe the slogan on the box is accurate. Smoke immediately or wait a year.

I was smoking a lot of these this time last year in London fresh from the shop.  They were pure leather, but the latest batch are not as good unless they need some ageing maybe.

14 minutes ago, Pommy Puffer said:

I was smoking a lot of these this time last year in London fresh from the shop.  They were pure leather, but the latest batch are not as good unless they need some ageing maybe.

I've never had any perlas with a box date past 2017. Most of the ones I've smoked thus far have been from 2012, 2014, and 2015 boxes. Daily cigar for me for sure. Also a cigar that breaks up the monotony from the regular Monte, Partagas, and HdM. 

A few years does wonders for them and they're quite easy to find with 3+ on them.

Thunder & Lightening '75-'15