What book are you reading over the Christmas/New Year break?

What book are you reading over the christmas/New year break?

Boxing day here.  10:30am and have returned from an hour walk and morning surf. On the couch overlooking the beach and about to fire up a Cohiba Corona Especial. Maybe fire up a cheeky chilled rose. 

I am in the mood for a little escapism reading material.  Kings dark Tidings (book 2) by Kel Kade. Book 1 was a cracker. 

• Like 1

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Room on the broom The pout pout fish One fish two fish Goodnight moon 5x each so far this weekend

Strange gift from the strange uncle...

Currently rereading the first book in the dark tower series.  The Gunslinger.   Fantastic read.  

That sounds like a brilliant time, Merry Christmas!

I started reading Benedict XVI: His Life and Thought. It’s been a wonderful account of the life of the former Pontiff, and a hero of mine. 

Enjoy the break, I’ll surely do the same. 

• Like 1

started re-reading all the harry potters recently. great fun. 

the latest from jane harper - her first, 'the dry' was stunning, the second was as good and this will be 'the lost man', her third and has even better reviews. 

been keen to read 'the colony' about the founding of sydney.

have a heap of wine books to catch up on, but the settle down with a cigar and drink book is one i have chased for thirty years and never been able to source a copy and just happened to mention it to a friend and she had a copy and very kindly gave it to me. 'krug' by john arlott. arlott was one of the world's most famous cricket commentators many years ago and he was also a wine writer. wrote the book on Krug some forty plus years ago. met his daughter once while in champagne and she told me he was paid an annual 5 cases form the rest of his life. that was the deal. 

• Like 3

We can tell where Harvey is in the parenting timeline by his reading list! :P  Likewise, my list is dictated by trying to stay ahead of my boys (now 11 & 12) in math (translation: "maths" for our Aussie brethren :P ).  So I just finished "Feynman's Lost Lecture" and am cracking open the "Lectures," a lovely triple volume set that will have me cowering in intellectual pain by New Years.  Just send aspirin. :D  I used to know all this stuff, like 30 years ago, but I seem to have forgotten more than I ever learned.  It's great fun to re-read though, and the Feynman lectures are particularly colorful and insightful.

• Like 1

I've been using Kindle to read but I felt that it was important to my son that he sees me reading to encourage him to do the same so I bought a pile of physical books to read in December/January.  I took a picture because 2 of them a friend recommended and I wanted to show it to her.

Some are Brazilian literature but four aren't:

The Luminous Novel - Mario Levrero

Compass - Mathias Enard

Brief Answers to the Big Questions - Stephen Hawking

A Black Sheep in Power: Pepe Mujica, a Different Kind of Politician - Andres Danza & Ernesto Tulbovitz

IMG_20181219_235218455.thumb.jpg.9059e6109101a19d0e966570f9eb7667.jpg

I hope I read at least 2 of them...

• Like 2

I’m reading 2 books at the same time, depending on my mood. When I’m in the mood for summat serious, I switch to Sapiens - a brief history of mankind by Yuval Noah Harari. Otherwise I’m reading the latest installment in the Honor Harrington series - Uncompromising Honor by David Weber.

• Like 2

52783556-7274-42C3-BA23-614A40058C5B.thumb.jpeg.1f6b699710f46151df7009e5ea3fdcc5.jpeg

Quite fun. A bit reductive, but nice to be reminded where the world’s natural borders, lines of communication and resources are - and how these influence history and politics today.

Example fun fact: Russia spans 11 timezones but does not have a single major ocean port that does not freeze in winter. 

• Like 3

Currently reading 

5575.jpg

up next is 

85211.jpg

And I got this one for Christmas that I can't wait to dig into it.

38799788.jpg

• Like 1

Recently I began reading The Bible (NIV) from the start.

I'm on 2nd Kings at the moment, or about 27% according to my Kindle.

I dropped off of Facebook a little over a year ago and have read about 40 books since. Most were of the SciFi or Fantasy variety. I decided I would take a break from that genre and reading the Bible seemed like a good idea.

I do most of my reading while I am smoking my cigar in the evening. It's a good fit ?

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Gandolf565 said:

Recently I began reading The Bible (NIV) from the start.

I'm on 2nd Kings at the moment, or about 27% according to my Kindle.

I dropped off of Facebook a little over a year ago and have read about 40 books since. Most were of the SciFi or Fantasy variety. I decided I would take a break from that genre and reading the Bible seemed like a good idea.

there are some who may suggest that you never left that genre.

and before my fellow mods send me to purgatory, i hasten to add that this is purely tongue-in-cheek. 

i must say that it is something on my reading list - my father, who while i would suggest led a most christian life, was not religious in the least had read it. my mother, who has always been quite religious, never has. i suspect that the old testament would be quite a good read. 

• Like 2

Just some light serial killer reading for me. Thoroughly enjoyed the first season of the Netflix series that this book spawned. Thought I'd buy the book and see what else it had to offer. Surprisingly, the Netflix series has been reproduced very faithfully to the text (although, I guess I shouldn't be surprised given that David Fincher is involved), so nothing of great revelation thus far. Still, an intriguing read.  

IMG_7399.JPG

• Like 2