What book are you reading over the Christmas/New Year break?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Room on the broom The pout pout fish One fish two fish Goodnight moon 5x each so far this weekend

Strange gift from the strange uncle...

Currently rereading the first book in the dark tower series.  The Gunslinger.   Fantastic read.  

On 12/25/2018 at 9:25 PM, Islandboy said:

I have 8 cats and 2 guns....it’s long overdue.

My eyes are watering and swelling shut just reading that...

Re: books.  Just about every night since summer I go outside to smoke a cigar and have been re-reading the series A Song of Ice and Fire.  Read them the first time about 7 or 8 years ago before the Game of Thrones series debuted on HBO.  Re-reading them because of how much the series diverged from the books.  About to start the last book, A Dance With Dragons.  I'm not typically into the fantasy genre but this series is gripping and immersive.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, MD Puffer said:

Re: books.  Just about every night since summer I go outside to smoke a cigar and have been re-reading the series A Song of Ice and Fire.  Read them the first time about 7 or 8 years ago before the Game of Thrones series debuted on HBO.  Re-reading them because of how much the series diverged from the books.  About to start the last book, A Dance With Dragons.  I'm not typically into the fantasy genre but this series is gripping and immersive.

been keen to re-read them again as well, but i'd be a lot happier if the last couple were available. 

Just now, Ken Gargett said:

been keen to re-read them again as well, but i'd be a lot happier if the last couple were available. 

You, me, and a few million other people.  I was actually reluctant to start reading them again, thinking it'd be better to wait until at least the next installment comes out, but I'm glad I restarted anyway.  They're so incredibly detailed that you'll be surprised at how much you may have forgotten or overlooked and the (real) storyline has cemented itself more the second time around.

4 minutes ago, Ken Gargett said:

that is very kind. i was assuming that george martin would actually have to write them first but perhaps this is a christmas miracle. 

but very kind nonetheless. 

Dick 

• Like 1

On 12/25/2018 at 8:00 PM, KKFF said:

Currently rereading the first book in the dark tower series.  The Gunslinger.   Fantastic read.  

"The Man in Black fled across the desert and the Gunslinger followed" ..... and down the rabbit hole you go....   I've never met anyone who read the Gunslinger and then didn't read the entire series, but you should definitely read them in order.

The last line in The Dark Tower Vol XII will blow your mind.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ImTripN2 said:

"The Man in Black fled across the desert and the Gunslinger followed" ..... and down the rabbit hole you go....   I've never met anyone who read the Gunslinger and then didn't read the entire series, but you should definitely read them in order.

The last line in The Dark Tower Vol XII will blow your mind.

I’m actually a huge Stephen king fan. I have the entire dark tower series, all first edition hardbacks in my library collection.  Two of my books in the series are signed by the illustrator and Stephen king.  

What book is XII? 12?  I’m a bit confused.  

On 12/25/2018 at 6:57 PM, HarveyBoulevard said:

Room on the broom

The pout pout fish

One fish two fish

Goodnight moon

5x each so far this weekend :)

I’m in the same boat as you...and don’t forget Giraffes Can’t Dance and Chicka Chicka Boom Boom ?

Actually, an awesome book for new dads out there is Be Prepared: A Practical Handbook For New Dads.  Funny and insightful with a clever 1950’s illustration theme 

FC771A31-286E-4EB6-85D5-DE35A06ED7F5.jpeg

• Like 2

11 hours ago, KKFF said:

I’m actually a huge Stephen king fan. I have the entire dark tower series, all first edition hardbacks in my library collection.  Two of my books in the series are signed by the illustrator and Stephen king.  

Ah, sorry. Should have been The Dark Tower Vol. VII.

I'm a big SK fan myself and have read almost everything he has published. I got hooked after reading IT.... I'd read until the wee hours of the morning then get out of bed and lock all the windows and stuff towels in the sink drains LOL. Currently working thru the Dark Tower series for the second time. 

• Like 1

I finished up “Guns, Germs and Steel” by Jared Diamond over the holidays. Took me about 8 weeks, it’s a big book. Surprisingly deep analysis of man’s evolution and conquests. It touches on a lot of topics as the author tries to answer why human power and wealth is distributed as we know it today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

On 12/29/2018 at 3:04 PM, KKFF said:

many many years ago, was in bangor maine or wherever is the town where stephen king is supposed to live (i think bangor maine but memory may have played tricks) - we were there because one idiot mate was convinced that if we went we would meet him. i'll confess that even to this day, i have never read a word he has written - not sure why. anyway, while my idiot mate and a few others rushed off to scour the town and meet him, i went to the post office (days of mail - that long ago). suddenly there is a bloke in the next queue opposite me, fairly scruffy looking bloke, handing over a smallish box saying that yes, he had finally finished his latest manuscript and here it was. he and the person behind the desk had a yack. obviously knew each other. 

to this day, i have no idea if it was him (i was going to ask and then i thought, no, it will drive my mate far more insane if i can't tell him either way and of course, i did not mention this until we were several hours drive away). i assume that plenty of authors live around there. 

it was that sort of trip. we also drove all the way to freehold new jersey as it was bruce's home town and then to the stone pony and the boardwalk and so on. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Philc2001 said:

I finished up “Guns, Germs and Steele” by Jared Diamond over the holidays. Took me about 8 weeks, it’s a big book. Surprisingly deep analysis of man’s evolution and conquests. It touches on a lot of topics as the author tries to answer why human power and wealth is distributed as we know it today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the author was a friend of a mate of mine and used to speak incredibly highly of him. it is one i have always meant to read. might be time. 

• Like 1

*Reading Rupert Booth's "Not a Number" about actor, director Patrick McGoohan of Secret Agent and The Prisoner fame. Was always intrigued by him. 

Not a Number by Rupert Booth.jpg

• Like 1