Partagas Series E No 1 LE (2018) 12DCRC

I was looking forward to this cigar as I had a box that I have not touched yet. Unfortunately, this was an utter disaster of a cigar.

First third.

From the beginning, it had a wonky burn and there was no hope for it. The wrapper just wasn't burning, and when it did it was canoeing. Tunneling all the way through.

Flavor? Toasted tobacco. But very light.

Second third.

I had to relight this cigar so many times. The cigar was spongy from the start as well. Didn't seem under packed, but I think it may have been given how poorly it smoked. More tunneling.

Flavor? Air. This is not good.

Last third.

Can't smoke any more. Tired of relighting and getting zero for the efforts.

Anyhow, I will admit, the weather was not great. It's been raining for several days and continues to do so. That may be a contributing factor to the burn issues.

Hoping to have a different experience on a different day.

Oh, paired with black coffee. Nothing fancy. e3924ce45038b517bcf240eea0782868.jpgf53ff7f05e218386b57b5488dc017a33.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Gutted for you.  Great honest review though.  Not heard anything bad about these until now, but that does look like that thick fire retardant wrapper that was on the Hoyo Regalos? I think from memory. 

From what I can see of the ash whilst it was there, it does look like it was shrinking down quite a few RGs, usually pointing towards under-filling. 

Did you dry box this?

• Like 1

I had a similar experience with my first Talisman out of the box a week or so ago - the wrapper was very reluctant to burn, and the burn line had that hard, shiny black lacquered look to it. It had a very strong flavor profile...reminded me more of an NC to be honest. I just chalked it up to youth and being a bit moist, but it was a rainy, humid day here, and it’s interesting you mention that too. Could that have such an immediate negative effect?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sorry to read this has happened for you mate. I had a similar experience on the Punch Regio LE. Fortunately the second stick I tried 2 months later was good.

• Like 1

Gutted for you.  Great honest review though.  Not heard anything bad about these until now, but that does look like that thick fire retardant wrapper that was on the Hoyo Regalos? I think from memory. 
From what I can see of the ash whilst it was there, it does look like it was shrinking down quite a few RGs, usually pointing towards under-filling. 
Did you dry box this?
I didn't. It was stored in a 65/65 environment. Smoked through the others from the sampler before getting to this one. I know the humidity outside was high because of the recent rain, but this was ridiculous. This is the first time that I had a wrapper burn (or not burn) like this. I was going to wait until the spring before getting into the box that I have. Hoping for better sticks there.

Uhhh! I hate when that happens. Maybe you just picked the one bad out of the whole box.
Any indicators pre-light that was noticeable as being iffy?
I thought the construction was good. It may have been a little soft, but I may just be remembering wrong. The stick looked beautiful. Better than the ones in the box I bought. Was looking forward to a great smoke. Had no obvious concerns up front.

5 minutes ago, mrmessy said:

I didn't. It was stored in a 65/65 environment. Smoked through the others from the sampler before getting to this one. I know the humidity outside was high because of the recent rain, but this was ridiculous. This is the first time that I had a wrapper burn (or not burn) like this. I was going to wait until the spring before getting into the box that I have. Hoping for better sticks there.

you already went through the sampler ?  How was it as a whole, were any of the cigars too young? I am staring at mine right now, still untouched.

• Like 1

I had a similar experience with my first Talisman out of the box a week or so ago - the wrapper was very reluctant to burn, and the burn line had that hard, shiny black lacquered look to it. It had a very strong flavor profile...reminded me more of an NC to be honest. I just chalked it up to youth and being a bit moist, but it was a rainy, humid day here, and it’s interesting you mention that too. Could that have such an immediate negative effect?
Possibly. But I would be surprised that was the some reason to have this much of an effect. Either way, I'll think twice smoking in this weather.

2 minutes ago, HopeUgood said:

you already went through the sampler ?  How was it as a whole, were any of the cigars too young? I am staring at mine right now, still untouched.

I am going through my Christmas sampler. The HDM double corona was really awesome. Clove, spice anisette. Just lovely 2 hour smoke. Have to get more of these. Then the La Fuerza. Another great smoke. The RASS was just flavorless. It was way too young. The JL#2 was good. Citrus and orange with cocoa. Glad I have a box of these. All had pretty good construction. Leaving the rest alone for another month.

• Thanks 1

I've had everything in the sampler before except the Presidente and this SE1. Coincidentally, these were the worst smokes for me. I still haven't smoked the HDMDC, it seemed this would need the most time to acclimate. Overall, it was what I expected. Too soon to smoke, but some potential. I didn't follow Prez's advice and dry box for a week. That may have made a difference with the SE1.

Mr. Messy, I have had a hell of a time with the weather you and I have had.  Hard to believe, but I am convinced the rain/humidity has been to blame for similar experiences I've had over the last few weeks.  We've been drowning here.  Record annual rainfall in 30 years.      

• Like 1

Sorry you got a bad one!  I am smoking mine now from the sampler- my first from this Vitola and my first from the sampler.

i am having the opposite experience- a powerhouse of burnt coffee and dark chocolate from the beginning.  Great draw, lots of smoke, even burn.  I was thinking how I would love to have some more of these.

i guess I just got lucky in cigar roulette-  I will definitely buy at least a quarter box if they ever come up on 24:24. A powerhouse.

Again, I am sorry that you and some of the other brothers didn’t get a good one.

”sometimes you get the bear, sometimes the bear gets you” or words to that effect, as the cowboy says in that Coen brothers movie...

• Like 1