Double Doink

Stump89

In case you missed it, Chris Collinsworth just said the Bears' season is over because of a Double Doink when they missed the game winning FG. Some of the finest words in sports broadcasting lol. The Eagles still have life!

I'm not making this up, but for some reason I was thinking about Scott Norwood and 'wide right' from 1993 just after the timeout was called after the first kick went over but was subsequently voided. Incredible finish to a game, you just can't script it, can you?

great weekend of footy but some utterly crap results. cowgirls and iggles? shoot me now. go rams, saints. 

and some weird stuff with the decisions - glad that the chargers got that TD as no way was the earlier one not a TD (not the fumble run, the previous one). and that mess with the catch no recovery???? sort of thing the skins would be guilty of. 

i reckon one kicker is looking for a new team in the offseason. teammates must be over the moon. 

two positives - it means that both the girls and the iggles get pushed down the draft order a little bit. and i think that we can safely say that the NFC East is the best division in football. hey, 8 teams left, 8 divisions. so to have two of those 8 teams, 25% of the remaining teams, is an achievement. as much as i wish it was not so with those two. 

john, do you remember darren lockyer, in golden point extra time, winning a game with a triple doink? field goal into the left upright, bounces across and hits the right upright and then falls down onto the crossbar and bounces over. mind you, locky could walk on water. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Ken Gargett said:

john, do you remember darren lockyer, in golden point extra time, winning a game with a triple doink? field goal into the left upright, bounces across and hits the right upright and then falls down onto the crossbar and bounces over. mind you, locky could walk on water.

I do remember that. I think some athletes have the 'midas touch' where everything seems to turn to gold (like Floyd Mayweather or Michael Phelps, for example) and others who are champions but couldn't perform at the right times to their enormous talent (like Greg Norman).

Steve Edmed played for Balmain in the 1989 Rugby League Grand Final against Canberra. Balmain should have won that game, instead a little know player scores in extra time (Steve Jackson - who subsequently made the NSW State of Origin team the next year) to give Canberra a fairytale upset win after Benny Elias had lined up the winning field goal...but hit the crossbar! Steve's son played in a school Representative cricket team I coached a few years ago. That was an enthralling discussion, let me tell you!

13 minutes ago, JohnS said:

I do remember that. I think some athletes have the 'midas touch' where everything seems to turn to gold (like Floyd Mayweather or Michael Phelps, for example) and others who are champions but couldn't perform at the right times to their enormous talent (like Greg Norman).

Steve Edmed played for Balmain in the 1989 Rugby League Grand Final against Canberra. Balmain should have won that game, instead a little know player scores in extra time (Steve Jackson - who subsequently made the NSW State of Origin team the next year) to give Canberra a fairytale upset win after Benny Elias had lined up the winning field goal...but hit the crossbar! Steve's son played in a school Representative cricket team I coached a few years ago. That was an enthralling discussion, let me tell you!

hey, nick foles last year. wentz stays fit - who nows what happens but we would know we'd hardly remember foles' name. 

of course, most of those with the midas touch are also supremely good at their chosen sport.

met the guy mayweather beat in the atlanta olympics - in the 1/4s?? i think? lornezo aragon. terrific bloke. was sweeping the floor in a bar near the floridita many years ago. we bought him a few drinks and had a great night. he took us to a few more bars. he did not mention any of this. but he did say he was in training for the athens olympics. naturally, we thought yes, of course. 4am and you have a smoke in one hand and a rum in the other. you are a shoe-in. happened to check months later, to see if he made the cuban team. yes. and he got the silver medal!!

so did some research. i have a couple of mates who are both boxing writers (one aussie, one british), or have been. both knew of him. both mentioned the mayweather fight. both said that it was believed by many that aragon won that fight and that it was a typical olympic home town decision. neither said that they thought that was definite. i found the fight on an old u-tube. i am not qualified to say if the decision was fair, but a couple of things - if the decision had gone to my mate, i don't think anyone could have complained. it seemed very close to me. but such is history. there was one moment where he hit mayweather with a punch that would have dropped an elephant. you could see it had an impact but mayweather stayed on his feet and kept fighting. that really impressed me. i'd still be out. so at the very least, it was evidence of mayweather's ability to take a punch and keep going. that alone would almost have been enough for it to be tipped mayweather's way. 

on a later trip, i went back to the bar to see if he was around. they were so impressed i knew him and spoke of him as cuban royalty. i refrained from pointing out that 6 months earlier they had him cleaning split drinks on the floor. 

• Thanks 1