Not all Cubans are poor and disaffected!

I’m glad to see someone posted this! I saw it floating around the news sites. Seems like the Animal Farm lines holds true: all animals are equal but some are more equal than others. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I don't understand how you can be Cuban and live like this. Your country has been poverty-stricken and in shambles forever. Even giving up half of their fortune could make a huge difference. Or at least strike the match towards improvements. Their system of government is broken. When will they learn? Alas, I digress...

• Like 1

He went to Panama? :rotfl:

I would guess there would be thousands of Cubans in Havana with this or similar lifestyles. I know plenty of them.  Some live off family wealth (mostly OS wealth) but many are the beneficiaries of a liberal travel policy and the opening up of cuban private enterprise where they pretend to play by the insane rules. 

Castro Jr made the mistake of being a little too public. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, El Presidente said:

He went to Panama? :rotfl:

I would guess there would be thousands of Cubans in Havana with this or similar lifestyles. I know plenty of them.  Some live off family wealth (mostly OS wealth) but many are the beneficiaries of a liberal travel policy and the opening up of cuban private enterprise where they pretend to play by the insane rules. 

Castro Jr made the mistake of being a little too public. 

I'd hardly think 1000 IG followers is too public. Even Smithy has over 100 IG followers! :P Tony Castro's mistake was signing on as a Castro.

30 minutes ago, Hookmaker said:

That would never have happened with Che in the chair. The difference between a true revolutionary and a prismatic dreamer?

You should ask Cubans how they felt about El Che. Lesser of two evils, at best. 

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, JIK said:

I wonder if you were in Cuba, where the people don’t speak freely out of fear. Go to Miami and ask around. You’ll be surprised. 

I was born in Cuba myself, grew up in Miami. I was not born yet during the time of Guevara’s “revolution” in Cuba, however, the general consensus amongst family and friends that were, is that he was a cold blooded murderer. Did he do some good, yes but it was greatly overshadowed by the ruthless violence he ordered on Cuban civilians. 

The history is there, if you look at older more reliable sources. For some reason in the early 2000’s he was sensationalized as some sort of hero rebel figure. I suspect by people who do not themselves live under a communist regime or have family that did. 

Anyway, perhaps you are a maxistst and believe the end would have justified his means. I am not trying to change your mind on that, just disagree with your statement about Cuba being better off with him than Castro. Imo both were terrible, in fact without Che Castro would probably not have been as “successful”.

Well, I don’t want to discuss politics in this forum for one. Secondly it appears I have another view than you, that’s fine. Third, yes I’ve been to Cuba and I’ve been quite a lot around, seen the results and spoken to people. That’ll be all for now ?

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, JIK said:

Anyway, perhaps you are a maxistst and believe the end would have justified his means. I am not trying to change your mind on that, just disagree with your statement about Cuba being better off with him than Castro. Imo both were terrible, in fact without Che Castro would probably not have been as “successful”.

Well, if you are Marxist, the last epoch is inevitable and does not need coaxing.  

16 minutes ago, Hookmaker said:

Well, I don’t want to discuss politics in this forum for one. Secondly it appears I have another view than you, that’s fine. Third, yes I’ve been to Cuba and I’ve been quite a lot around, seen the results and spoken to people. That’ll be all for now ?

Fair enough, cheers. 

1 hour ago, 99call said:

Lordy............everyone so hung up about communism and the Castros.    All over the world there are evil tyrants at the top of society, in Capitalist and Communist countries alike.     People being aghast, that Tony Castro's life is tainted with all sorts of contradiction blah blah.    If you're genuinely surprised or upset by this.....you should be genuinely surprised and upset about whats going on, all over the world..........but we're not are we!!........our own brand of messed up is just fine. 

Well, all the same people keep blabbing this and that about what’s right and wrong about Cuba, but at the same time aparantly  don’t have a problem supporting the ‘so called regime’ with hunger for their cigars. Just my 2 cents.

5 hours ago, JIK said:

I wonder if you were in Cuba, where the people don’t speak freely out of fear. Go to Miami and ask around. You’ll be surprised. 

I was born in Cuba myself, grew up in Miami. I was not born yet during the time of Guevara’s “revolution” in Cuba, however, the general consensus amongst family and friends that were, is that he was a cold blooded murderer. Did he do some good, yes but it was greatly overshadowed by the ruthless violence he ordered on Cuban civilians. 

The history is there, if you look at older more reliable sources. For some reason in the early 2000’s he was sensationalized as some sort of hero rebel figure. I suspect by people who do not themselves live under a communist regime or have family that did. 

Agreed--hard to imagine Guevara lasting as long as the Castros. Hard to imagine him lasting with the Castros

• Like 1

7 hours ago, looseleaf said:

I don’t want to argue politics here. My only point is this, the source of the article is the Daily Mail, which isn’t considered 100% reliable by some. 

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/feb/08/wikipedia-bans-daily-mail-as-unreliable-source-for-website 

The story is reliable and has been carried by a large number of media. 

1 minute ago, CaptainQuintero said:

Wait, wait, wait I'm all lost now, so this guy is Justin Trudeau's Nephew?

:fuel: :innocent:

Lol. I saw that picture too. Crazy resemblance. But I think (if true) would make him a grand-nephew, no?

5 minutes ago, MD Puffer said:

Well, here’s the article per the Miami Herald:

I'm not suggesting it's not a worthy news story in itself, more sort of saying....."so what!?"  The pyramid structure of wealthy living contradictory lives, tp the ones they extoll to the poor, is the same all over the world.     My point was just to say. lots of people on this forum seem to be horrified my the injustices that go on in Cuba, but in the same breath don't seem to be concerned about whats going on in their own countries. 

For example, I'm embarrassed and disgusted by the politicians in the UK currently.  I don't see the corrupt politicians of Cuba to be any worse or better than those in my own country.  

4 hours ago, 99call said:

For example, I'm embarrassed and disgusted by the politicians in the UK currently.  I don't see the corrupt politicians of Cuba to be any worse or better than those in my own country.  

Except in the facial hair department. Jeremy Corbyn hasn’t yet unleashed the full “Revolutionary”.

• Haha 1