Special cigars you refuse to smoke

I think we all have those special cigars in our humidor that we won’t even think about burning unless it’s a really special occasion. I have a few 2004 Cohiba Sublimes (smoked one when my grandson was born) and a box of H Upmann Sir Winston from 2007. Everything else is fair game. 

What are yours?

• Like 2

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have a lot of vintage and HTF cigars that I do smoke.  Only one can I say I may not smoke. It's a Cuban Diplomatic lancero gifted to an Argentinean diplomat back in the 1970s. It was from a humidor

Two cigars......just because I don't seem to be able to allocate the time.  They are from the 2004 Montecristo Humidor (one very long & one very unique)   Montecristo A - 47 x 235  Sal

You guys convinced me to smoke one of my "one and only" sticks tonight. It's fantastic right out of the gate. Thanks for the extra push! Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Only have two boxes I don't touch but once a year.  A box of JUN 13 Du Prince and a box of NOV 16 Cohiba Siglo IV.  Birthday boxes for my two little girls.  Fire one up on each of their birthdays.

Other than that, ever cigar is fair game every night...

Edited by HarveyBoulevard
Fix a date ?
  • Like 4

None. As I always say.... cigars are for smokin’ , not for strokin’

I don’t like buying things just to show I have them.... unless they are cheap and purely made for aesthetics and novelty. The word collecting is not in my vocabulary, especially when you face issues that make you realize that we are are mortal... and waking up each day is never guaranteed...

• Like 3

Can’t deny that this is good advice and for the most part I am in complete agreement. I have lots of stuff to smoke and I’m not afraid to light anything (and I do.) My plan is to burn them eventually. These are sticks I hold back for something special. I may not wake up tomorrow but today I get some satisfaction over having something special if I want it.

9 minutes ago, Brandon said:

None. As I always say.... cigars are for smokin’ , not for strokin’

I don’t like buying things just to show I have them.... unless they are cheap and purely made for aesthetics and novelty. The word collecting is not in my vocabulary, especially when you face issues that make you realize that we are are mortal... and waking up each day is never guaranteed...

• Like 2

1 minute ago, crking3 said:

That said ......how many do you (and other members feel free to answer also!) do you tend to keep u touched towards the end of the box? Just a couple? At least five? Some may smoke half, save half? .......5 is usually my “don’t touch the rest” number lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don’t have a number. Just a desire to have something for a special occasion. The best scenario would be smoking them all. That would indicate lots of special occasions.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, crking3 said:

That said ......how many do you (and other members feel free to answer also!) do you tend to keep u touched towards the end of the box? Just a couple? At least five? Some may smoke half, save half? .......5 is usually my “don’t touch the rest” number lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I get to about 4 or 5 left I just think ‘oh no!’ And I try to keep away from them for a while. 

Its also weird but I only really consider how much a box cost when it’s finished. So as long as I don’t finish the box, I don’t need to worry about how much it cost! Haha

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, crking3 said:

18 minutes ago, Shelby07 said:

I don’t have a number. Just a desire to have something for a special occasion. The best scenario would be smoking them all. That would indicate lots of special occasions.

So let me ask - what makes a cigar special?

Again for me, when I'm down to the last few cigars in a box, it's a non-issue - Montecristo No.4 or Upmann Sir Winston - it really doesn't matter. I was happy to smoke my last Partagas de Partagas No.1, Bolivar CE, Partagas SdC 3. Then there's the matter of expectation - what happens when that special cigar doesn't meet expectation during that special occasion.

I don't have a cigar hanging off my lip on a regular basis, so I guess when i do have time to enjoy one, it's pretty much always - though not necessarily special - a good occasion.

While I do have a few boxes that lean towards “special occasion”, there’s nothing I refuse to smoke at any given time. Probably because my definition of a special occasion is wide open. 

7 minutes ago, Colt45 said:

So let me ask - what makes a cigar special?

Again for me, when I'm down to the last few cigars in a box, it's a non-issue - Montecristo No.4 or Upmann Sir Winston - it really doesn't matter. I was happy to smoke my last Partagas de Partagas No.1, Bolivar CE, Partagas SdC 3. Then there's the matter of expectation - what happens when that special cigar doesn't meet expectation during that special occasion.

I don't have a cigar hanging off my lip on a regular basis, so I guess when i do have time to enjoy one, it's pretty much always - though not necessarily special - a good occasion.

I think I see what you are asking. 

The cigars I hold back are the ones I have really enjoyed in the past, might be hard to replace and I think are worthy of saving for a special occasion. It’s a subjective decision and something that can change at any time.

i had a bunch of D4’s from 2008. I was holding them back because I thought they were some of the best I had in my humidor. When they were no longer special (i.e., I could replace them with something else that I considered special) I smoked them

If I light up a cigar to celebrate a special occasion and it is smoking well, I’ll smoke it. If not, honestly, I have no problem with putting it down and getting something else. I have put down cigars after a few puffs if they were not something I was enjoying. It didn’t matter whether they were expensive or not, or if they had been sitting in my humidor for several years.  I can’t see struggling through any cigar, special or not. There’s always something else. 

10 minutes ago, mtapia3 said:

I have boxes of ELs to commemorate my kid’s birth years and

I do this as well, just once a year stuff. The only others in my stash that I rarely reach for are Selectos Finos and Trini Robusto Extras.  Only a few of each left and I can't fathom losing my precious lol.

The only cigars I am hesitant to smoke are those given to me by my late father in law. Some incredible ones. More that everyone gets emotional when I break one out and they’re also great sticks. I also have a bottle of vodka in my freezer that I won’t drink. My best friend since pre-school passed away a year and a half ago. I always used to keep a bottle of vodka in the freezer for him. I am not a big vodka drinker but even if there were no booze in the house (which would never happen) I won’t touch it. It is Danny D’s bottle. The Mrs asked me what I would/will do if we move and I said I will drink what is left (about half a bottle) in one sitting in Dan’s honor. Always been that way with certain stuff. The old Sir Winstons? Burn em! 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, HarveyBoulevard said:

Only have two boxes I don't touch but once a year.  A box of JUN 13 Du Prince and a box of NOV 13 Cohiba Siglo IV.  Birthday boxes for my two little girls.  Fire one up on each of their birthdays.

Other than that, ever cigar is fair game every night...

The dates being so close, your girls have two different moms?

I have a once a year box of  Punch DC for my wedding anniversary.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Diabolicalpherpher said:

The dates being so close, your girls have two different moms?

I have a once a year box of  Punch DC for my wedding anniversary.

Oops. Guess the cats out of the bag!!

Typo actually...6/13 and 11/16 ?