What are you listening to?

Mark Lanegan is amazing! I never tire of Bubblegum! Saw him at the Roxy a little while back with Duke Garwood, and Greg Dulli came up for the encore. It was a guitar and vocals only set, which was interesting, but I admit I would have probably liked it a tad better if they had brought a drummer for certain songs.

Along a similar vein, I've been listening to a great Virginia expirimental rock band called Pontiak, especially the Sun on Sun album on vinyl. Really enjoying Jozef Van Wissem's work, especially that in collaboration with Jim Jarmusch/Squrl (Van Wissem on lute, Jarmusch primarily providing harmonized guitar feedback)I. Also listening to older Brian Jonestown Massacre, specifically Methadrone and Their Satanic Majesties Second Request.

On a heavier note I've been listening to a lot of post-metal type stuff, particularly the middle era of Neurosis's catalog (A Sun That Never Sets), and non-Isis Aaron Turner Bands (Sumac and Old Man Gloom). Actually got into the latter two after seeing Sumac open for Converge earlier this year and being absolutely blown away by one of the craziest and most unique live performances I have ever seen. My buddy got me a ticket to see Old Man Gloom and Isis (as Celestial) play for a memorial tour and I am unbelievably excited for that!

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

original copy of the first Dire Straits record. Sounds amazing on vinyl. Dug this out of my old man’s crate of records. Absolutely amazing. 

• 3 weeks later...

I'm on a Jacques Brel kick tonight. Mostly his minor key. Mostly his minor key, and or contemplative stuff. 

Jaures, Le port d'Amsterdam, Le plat Pays. La Mort, La Colombe.

Also, there is this indie, sorta hipster band I like that I've been fixated on tonight: Lucius.

They have two female vocalists/songwriters that have amazing voices and singing harmony 96% of the time.

If your feeling mellow, and this description appeals to you, do yourself a favor and listen to this:

Smoking a Punch Punch that was kinda tight but got better after the first half inch. Not the best of the box though...but good enough to enjoy the first night above 10 C in a while and maybe the last... 

Edit: Of course, I had forgotten that in that particular song, the two Lucius singers are in unison most of the time... I swear they have great harmonies...;)

329760749_todd_rundgren-something_anything.jpg.b19f7da87be57f0d6de567e3d1605d0d.jpg

Todd Rundgren is making a personal appearance at Red Eye Records (a famous long-time independent record store in the Sydney CBD) this coming Friday October 26th, so I figured it's time to play his magnum opus again!

Calming silence in preparation of the day ahead. Because she will be awake soon. ?

• Haha 1

• JohnS changed the title to What are you listening to?