What are you listening to?

Been listening a lot to Lee Konitz, the great also sax player who recently died at 92 of Covid-19. One of the great “cool” players whose 70 years of recordings documents his remarkable artistry and evolution. He played with everyone from Miles Davis (on the Birth of Cool album in the 50’s) to Bill Frisell and Charlie Haden. Remarkably, he continued playing and recording up to the past few years. His playing was always tasteful, spare, and achingly melodic. So much to listen to.. but here’s a cut from a a Paul Motian recording (Live on Broadway: Vol 3) with Bill Frisell, Charlie Haden, and Joe Lovano.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

original copy of the first Dire Straits record. Sounds amazing on vinyl. Dug this out of my old man’s crate of records. Absolutely amazing. 

• 2 weeks later...

William Kahaiali’i. That’s what I knew him as at Lahainaluna High School, my classmate in the graduating class of ‘79. Back then a skinny Hawaiian who was never, ever seen by this skinny haole boy without a guitar or ukulele in his hands. All the teachers knew what we all knew - he was destined to be a musical virtuoso, so they let it be. This clip just touches the tip of the iceberg that is Willie K. Acoustic Hawaiian music, or electric Hendrix, it all oozed from his very being seemingly effortlessly. He passed on this week after a lengthy battle with the big C. His name is William Kahaiali’i to me, not Willie K. Rest In Peace my friend. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

A taste of who William Kahaiali’i was, should take you the better part of a Robusto to check it out, if you’re so inclined....

https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2020/05/19/watch-willie-k-rocks-hapas-this-episode-hot-hawaiian-nights/

10 hours ago, Islandboy said:

William Kahaiali’i. That’s what I knew him as at Lahainaluna High School, my classmate in the graduating class of ‘79. Back then a skinny Hawaiian who was never, ever seen by this skinny haole boy without a guitar or ukulele in his hands. All the teachers knew what we all knew - he was destined to be a musical virtuoso, so they let it be. This clip just touches the tip of the iceberg that is Willie K. Acoustic Hawaiian music, or electric Hendrix, it all oozed from his very being seemingly effortlessly. He passed on this week after a lengthy battle with the big C. His name is William Kahaiali’i to me, not Willie K. Rest In Peace my friend. 

Thank you for sharing. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, StogieSteve23 said:

I love most all music (except new school crap-rap and a few others) but I'm a sucker for a good acoustic guitar.  Nice one to get the day started easily. 

Reminds me of Dan Fogelberg.  Nice

• Like 1