Recommended Posts

  • Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

original copy of the first Dire Straits record. Sounds amazing on vinyl. Dug this out of my old man’s crate of records. Absolutely amazing. 

Somehow I clipped the Albert Lee video (also good), so thought I'd better include a bit of Blue Sky...   

If anyone likes jam bands or funk/bluegrass type sounds, give Goose a listen.  I grew up with 3 out of the 4 guys in Connecticut.  The lead singer/guitarist (he absolutely shreds) was one of my best friends from a young age as our dads used to play softball together, I coached baseball for the keyboardist/backup singer and played hockey with the bassist.  These guys are BLOWING UP on the music scene and have been compared to the next Phish (not sure if they'll ever get there but people compare them).  Listening to one of their sets right now.  Give them an ear if you like this kind of stuff.  

If you like "The Way It Is - Bruce Hornsby" then go to 1:08:00 and listen to their version.  Great rendition of an always excellent song in my opinion.  

 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

Mucho Manolo

Lyrics : Where is the food, where is the toothpaste, where is the milk, where is the money, where is the clothing, where is the butter, where is the coffee.

Refrain : Down with you know who ...

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, nino said:

What a great song !

Still remember first time I heard Sultans of Swing, I tought this is incredible guitar riffs... I remember where I was and what I felt about that music. Brilliant !

A few years later I had Mark Knopfler on one of my flights - what a great, humble and lovely guy he is.

Love anything & everything Dire Straits.

 

I'm so with you on that.  My father played them a lot when I was growing up and I always have fond memories of that when I hear anything by them. Takes me back to riding in his truck on the way to a construction site to go help him out for the day.

 A couple years ago I found this instrumental version by Miguel Montalban that I really enjoy.  Sometimes you don't need lyrics, just a guy shredding on some strings. About 4:15 in and he really starts to pick it up.   

 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, StogieSteve23 said:

I'm so with you on that.  My father played them a lot when I was growing up and I always have fond memories of that when I hear anything by them. Takes me back to riding in his truck on the way to a construction site to go help him out for the day.

 A couple years ago I found this instrumental version by Miguel Montalban that I really enjoy.  Sometimes you don't need lyrics, just a guy shredding on some strings. About 4:15 in and he really starts to pick it up.   

 

Wow - What a great gig, thanks man, you made my evening here !!

I am happy you grew up with this music and hope it gives you the good memories that come with it.
Certainly the music deserves good memories.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, nino said:

Wow - What a great gig, thanks man, you made my evening here !!

I am happy you grew up with this music and hope it gives you the good memories that come with it.
Certainly the music deserves good memories.

My pleasure, Nino.  Very happy to share a new version, especially one you enjoyed.  Give his other stuff an ear on YouTube as well. He has some great covers.  Yes, great memories indeed for me from that song.  

The day I go without listening to any kind of music is the day I die, literally and figuratively speaking.  I love most types and always have, but the mood I'm in or activity I'm doing will dictate which tunes are on. 

They say pictures are worth 1000 words but I believe music is worth 1000 memories.  A certain song, note or riff can take you back to a time and place in an instant. Some good, some bad, but all part of what makes each and every one of us unique in our own experiences. Very powerful stuff in my opinion.  

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, StogieSteve23 said:

They say pictures are worth 1000 words but I believe music is worth 1000 memories.  A certain song, note or riff can take you back to a time and place in an instant. Some good, some bad, but all part of what makes each and every one of us unique in our own experiences. Very powerful stuff in my opinion.  

Could not agree more - and the older I get the more memories come up with music.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

There's something great about smoking a nice cigar and listening to/watching string quartet music (or  any chamber/classical really). This is a piece that I hope to perform one day, our group is capable of playing it but well out of practice at the moment. 

 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Big deadline approaching...and I need to pound out some work. This does it every time, The one concert in high school I wish I could have made. My buddy invited me too late and I didn't have the money.

 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

@Colt45 thanks for this. Takes me back growing up in SoCal during my formative years, we all wanted to be and look like Brian as 13 year olds. Rolled up sleeves with fake cig packs, vests, peg jeans, the whole works, loved the music and the whole scene. Post-punk, rockabilly, then new wave, good times in the early 80's. Thanks.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


Community Software by Invision Power Services, Inc.