Sad day for cigar smokers - Aristocrat humidors

On 1/19/2019 at 8:34 PM, KKFF said:

I don’t know. With the amount of craft,a ship that goes into his units, 7.7 units a month is a lot. I’m into mature woodworking and I don’t think I could build one a month. But then again, the more ya make, the faster ya get. Not too mention the quality increases. Sad to see him go.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

He has 10-12 employees I believe in the business too.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

When I picked up my Aristocrat at Bob’s shop last summer, he definitely didn’t seem like he was anywhere near retirement.  In fact, I asked him specifically about it and he said, “I’ll retire when it

The cigar gods have always been good to me...decided to get myself a nice Christmas present this year...what lucky timing I had  

At 68 he's earned the opportunity for retirement 

So an average of 7.7 humidors per month for 27 years. That seems doable, but that's insane. Too bad he didn't number them all. Could be like collecting ER boxes hahahaha

Bob told me they make about 400 humidors per year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had my humidor custom built about 5 years ago by an amazing custom wood worker. He even farms his own trees. I chose some exotic woods he imported for me. Incredible work. I was interested in Bob's, but am glad I went in this direction.

I would recommend him, just do not want to advertise for him here. You are welcome to PM me.

humidor2.jpg

humidor1.JPG

From another forum I frequent;

Ok. Buddy of mine talked with Bob. Here's the scoop:

He's having issues renegotiating his lease, which is expiring in a couple of months. Bob said that he just doesn't have it in him to move shops, which is about a 2 month process. 

He and a couple of folks he has working for him are going to move to a much smaller shop and only sell humidification systems. 

These two guys he's keeping will eventually run his company when he's done. 

He said this retirement came earlier than expected, but that with his wife's travel plans for the both of them, it probably works out for the best.

I've had my cabinet for over a decade, and it's been perfect.  The "Climate Monitor" went back to them for a rebuild, but I've heard from buddies that have retrofit newer controllers from Bob in their cabinets.  Hard to find a more honest or nicer guy than Bob...he was a pleasure to do business with.  

My cooled cabinet was custom built to fit into a space between a safe and the wall....two houses ago.  Wish I'd have gotten a bigger cabinet....?

Humidor.jpg

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, BBS said:

From another forum I frequent;

I've had my cabinet for over a decade, and it's been perfect.  The "Climate Monitor" went back to them for a rebuild, but I've heard from buddies that have retrofit newer controllers from Bob in their cabinets.  Hard to find a more honest or nicer guy than Bob...he was a pleasure to do business with.  

My cooled cabinet was custom built to fit into a space between a safe and the wall....two houses ago.  Wish I'd have gotten a bigger cabinet....?

Humidor.jpg

That's good for him. He more than deserves the time off. 

I was hoping to get a larger cabinet built to match my smaller Aristocrat, but maybe I'll play the waiting game to see how this transition goes and if these guys start building more cabinets.

the whole transaction with Bob was perfect !! Such a wonderful person to deal with 

I would not trade my aristocrat for anything else.................except i really need a larger humidor 

11 minutes ago, brianrex64 said:

the whole transaction with Bob was perfect !! Such a wonderful person to deal with 

I would not trade my aristocrat for anything else.................except i really need a larger humidor 

Yes Bob was a pleasure to deal with. I don't believe I have ever talked with anyone that didn't love their Aristocrat. Nor have I ever talked to anyone who didn't want a larger Aristocrat, regardless of the size they have. 

• Like 2

That's a tough break. I've heard so many great things about Bob's Humidors and he has quite a following. 

Another option might be Pendergast. I bought one on '05 and I know several folks who also have them. We all love them.

http://www.jcpendergast.com/Humidors.aspx

The business was sold in '06 to GSP Enterprises, LLC. I don't personally know of anyone who has purchased one after that time.

1 hour ago, Elvis said:

That's a tough break. I've heard so many great things about Bob's Humidors and he has quite a following. 

Another option might be Pendergast. I bought one on '05 and I know several folks who also have them. We all love them.

http://www.jcpendergast.com/Humidors.aspx

The business was sold in '06 to GSP Enterprises, LLC. I don't personally know of anyone who has purchased one after that time.

I personally own a Pendergast Humidor that I purchased from another gentlemen.  I had to replace the seals on the doors and now it works great.  Even has the original humidification system.

I know they are back in business and supposedly their next gen humidors will have an even better fully digital set it and forget humidification system.  I emailed them when my humidor was leaking humidity and they called me and instructed me how to replace the seals. 

Here is the new website although it is not fully functional yet.

https://pendergasthumidors.com

I had placed an order with Bob last Spring for an M Plus cabinet.  Had paid the deposit and was discussing final details with Bob when I decided I should hold off till I could afford to get it with THC.  Man am I regretting that decision now.  Congratulations to Bob on his retirement.  Very well deserved.

16 hours ago, TBird55 said:

Yes Bob was a pleasure to deal with. I don't believe I have ever talked with anyone that didn't love their Aristocrat. Nor have I ever talked to anyone who didn't want a larger Aristocrat, regardless of the size they have. 

I'm in that group of 'love mine', 'wish I had bought bigger' -- I was going to get a larger model this summer, sadly no such luck.? Bob has or did have a great bunch of guys working for him. I guess there was no one who wanted to, or could afford to take on the risk of running with the cabinet side of the business. 

I had a Pendergast CA series 20 years ago. It was not temperature controlled , just humidity. 12 years ago I got my Aristocrat and never looked back. I do need a new updated controller so I am glad they will still supply that. Seeing that baby come off the truck was a heck of a good day.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Luca said:

@IanMcLean68 sad news my friend. We hesitated for too long.

Agreed @Luca my friend. I was seriously contemplating taking the plunge this year too. I was spurred on when I asked @Fuzz about Aristocrats here in Australia, to which he replied probably none.

• Sad 1