New Humidor Review: Avallo...the Aristocrat Alternative?

Markspring1978

I'm headed to Nashville in July- plan on ordering one and picking it up then.  I keep hesitating on pulling the trigger because I have a huge double door French paneled cabinet from Restoration Hardware sitting in my man cave not being put to use and dreamed of converting it to a refrigerated humidor but am unsure if I can develop the technical skills to make it functional.

• Like 1

Have heard good things about a company called Vigilant in NH. No personal experience here though. Bob was 30 mins away so I ended up with three of his.

4 hours ago, Homer said:

Are Avallo or Vigilant in same price range as Aristocrat? More expensive?

Avallo are comparable in price to Aristocrat, Vigilant is about 50% more. I looked into Vigilant, they look really nice. 

I have his humidifier system and am very happy with it.  I had an of-brand end-table humidor that I couldn't keep steady at 65 in the dry colorado weather and he set me up with a great dual reservoir system that works perfectly.

2 minutes ago, Ribeye said:

Nice Humidor!

Beautiful full bear mount trophy!

Glad you noticed. ?

I like to think the Griz is watching over my stock. 

Bad news for us living outide USA. 

Thank you for your interest in our humidors. I hate to say that we only ship inside the US. Freight is so expensive in dealing with any type of export just makes it so complicated. I'm sorry we couldn't do business and I hope you can find a good humidor to store your cigars.

2 hours ago, Homer said:

Thank you for your interest in our humidors. I hate to say that we only ship inside the US. Freight is so expensive in dealing with any type of export just makes it so complicated. I'm sorry we couldn't do business and I hope you can find a good humidor to store your cigars.

I seem to remember contacting both Avallo and Aristocrat +10 years ago and asking for shipping to Europe. Either I didn’t get an answer or they replied something in the lines of the above. So gave up the thought and been thinking about building it myself. But gave up on that as well. I just don’t have the skills for it. Haven’t come across a manufacturer that builds them large enough or to the demands I have or seem legit enough here in Europe unfortunately. I would think there would be a market for it. Meanwhile the amount of plastic containers is getting out of hand here in my place.

https://www.schwaben-humidor.de/
I dont know anything about the Company.
Some here in FOH have ordered from there.
I asked the shipping price to Finland and it was almost 1500euros.

I know Mark and his work. Great products, similar price range to Aristocrat, but he doesn’t offer temperature control and he doesn’t ship overseas.

50 minutes ago, Lotusguy said:

I know Mark and his work. Great products, similar price range to Aristocrat, but he doesn’t offer temperature control and he doesn’t ship overseas.

I got this answer from Marc.

But i can build you an Junior Exclusivo inside with Sapeli Mahagoni and outside with Zebrano ? or Wenge ? or Oak ? what i can buy in solid Wood her.

Shipping and insurance is very expensiv and i have to build a Wood Box for shipping.

I have always thought that all humidors are cedar inside and other wood outside. But those are mahogany also from inside. Why?

But i can build you an Junior Exclusivo inside with Sapeli Mahagoni and outside with Zebrano ? or Wenge ? or Oak ? what i can buy in solid Wood her.

Shipping and insurance is very expensiv and i have to build a Wood Box for shipping.

I have always thought that all humidors are cedar inside and other wood outside. But those are mahogany also from inside. Why?

Best for him to answer, but basically, what we call cedar is actually a close relative to mahogany.

On 1/23/2019 at 8:50 AM, Derboesekoenig said:

Wow that is impressive. is each one bigger than the other? Ha I would like to see that. 

Only one left.

72DB1DBA-CB04-4E8F-9B65-70D5B169890D.thumb.jpeg.b5eaa7cee314f6ca89e6a37ea6a95ed2.jpeg

And, yes, each one was bigger than the last :)

• Like 2

Marc reached out to me on the German forum. I think you might have misunderstood his quote. The shipping price wasn’t 1500 euro. What you had asked for was a customized unit which carries a cost adder and then there was shipping and insurance on top. You can also pick it up for free ;)

PM me if you want help with translation or communication to Marc.

I asked him to consider shipping a few containers worth of humidors to US ;)

On 1/25/2019 at 12:47 AM, Homer said:

It wouldn't make sense shipping outside of the US.  I am sure someone in Finland can make just as nice. If you have to source the humidification ahead of the purchase wouldn't be the end of world either.