$3200 to spend on Humidor.

This is part of an email below.  the member resides in the US but the type of humidor he is asking about is not my forte. 

Can you help him out with some suggestions. Pics always welcome!

I am going to order a furniture style humidor with a proper humidification/fan system that will hold 800-1000 cigars or so in the very near future.  Want to spend less than $3,200 (USD)  Any suggestions?

There are a ton of active threads about this. Avallo seems to be the new best option since aristocrat is no longer taking orders.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I was hoping for a few more options that people have investigated or are using. I thought there would be more than 2-3 makers in the US?

Of course I could be wrong, it was only an assumption. :cigar:

Honestly, what I plan on doing when I'm ready to upgrade is look for a local cabinet/woodworking shop. Have them build out the box and shelves, then order the aristocrat humidification system.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, prodigy said:

Honestly, what I plan on doing when I'm ready to upgrade is look for a local cabinet/woodworking shop. Have them build out the box and shelves, then order the aristocrat humidification system.

I would go the same path. 

These guys have been around for a long time.  They are seldom mentioned, maybe for a reason. 

https://vigilantinc.com/

• Like 3

I can vouch for Vigilant. I have seen some of their commercial build outs and they are top quality builds.  I'd consider them in an instant for a custom job. 

I think they aren't mentioned much because they are pricey and there are so many Chinese knock offs for 1/3 the price. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I have had a Vigilant side table for 15 years and it has served me very well over the years and still looks great today. When I decided to step up my cigar hobby I did a lot of due diligence which led me to Friends of Habanos. I decided to go with the Aristocrat Plus 48 and when I called to place my order Bob gave me the “bad” news but with me he said they were moving and looking for a new location. He was not accepting new orders until they moved. I pressed on and he had the AP 48 in essentially my configuration that had been canceled and I immediately snapped it up! With a little time spent reading through the “humidor” thread and visiting manufacturers web sites you will find what you are looking for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

If I had a $3200 budget for a humidor, I think I would get an Avallo DDD if I knew I could get the temps consistent and spend the extra $1200-1300 on cigars OR an Avallo 2000 Cooled if temps were an issue and spend the extra $500-700 on cigars.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, El Presidente said:

I would go the same path. 

These guys have been around for a long time.  They are seldom mentioned, maybe for a reason. 

https://vigilantinc.com/

Vigilant does nice work, but they are pricey. I had them quote a double-wide cabinet humidor (similar to an upper kitchen cabinet) as part of a small wine storage room last summer and the pricing on the humidor box (no humidification, no glass for doors, basic trim/stain, stock wood) was more than the wine racking itself. I think the total quote was around $3,000 before shipping (around $500 for just the humidor cabinet) for a very basic, fairly small cabinet...half-assed mock-up of what I was working on is below

Wine Rack Adjusted.jpg

• Like 1

*Tell him to get on Ebay or Alibaba. He'll find great choices among many offers there. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BarryVT said:

I got mine at 1st class humidor, it's nothing custom made, but I am very pleased with it. It's the lemans, 6ft tall, 2ft wide,  and like 19 inches deep. Was like 900 including shipping. And it came with 2 free oasis plus. Put one on top and one on bottom. Two drawers for singles. I installed led strip lighting to jazz it up. Holds plenty, I have like 100 boxes, various sizes in it. 20190130_083907.thumb.jpg.e119a2b284f05a3ced863968c65770fa.jpg

That is nice looking. 

Does anyone have this?? Seems nice for the price. Seen it under $600 shipped. 

https://www.northwoodshumidors.com/montegue-end-table-humidor-1500-cigars/

1 hour ago, jlb said:

That is nice looking. 

Does anyone have this?? Seems nice for the price. Seen it under $600 shipped. 

https://www.northwoodshumidors.com/montegue-end-table-humidor-1500-cigars/

I have one.  It's okay not stellar.  I have a large cigar oasis magna in there and heartfelt beads.  It's super deep which is nice for storage size, but the drawers don't slide, so it's tricky to access stuff.  The seal could definitely be better, and because of the volume, it was hard to stabilize RH at first.  Much better now that my stock is higher (good excuse to buy).  I was putting 8 loose sticks back in cabs to fill up air space at first.  1500 seems like a very generous estimate even with some gangster level tetris.  I have 400 sticks or so in boxes and maybe 100 loose in the drawer.  I could probably fit another 15 boxes with no wiggle room, but i'd say 800 cigars is more realistic.

3 minutes ago, blakeLA said:

I have one.  It's okay not stellar.  I have a large cigar oasis magna in there and heartfelt beads.  It's super deep which is nice for storage size, but the drawers don't slide, so it's tricky to access stuff.  The seal could definitely be better, and because of the volume, it was hard to stabilize RH at first.  Much better now that my stock is higher (good excuse to buy).  I was putting 8 loose sticks back in cabs to fill up air space at first.  1500 seems like a very generous estimate even with some gangster level tetris.  I have 400 sticks or so in boxes and maybe 100 loose in the drawer.  I could probably fit another 15 boxes with no wiggle room, but i'd say 800 cigars is more realistic.

Great thanks. So, would you recommend?? I have a wineador, but i has it for mostly loose sticks. Now I’m box collecting and thinking of getting rid of the wineador. Something like this could go in the main living area, unlike a coolador or similar. 

19 minutes ago, jlb said:

Great thanks. So, would you recommend?? I have a wineador, but i has it for mostly loose sticks. Now I’m box collecting and thinking of getting rid of the wineador. Something like this could go in the main living area, unlike a coolador or similar. 

I got it for just that reason.  My wife wanted something that looked more like furniture, and I wanted more storage space.  I was thinking of it as a stop gap between ditching my wineador and saving for an Aristocrat, but since Bob stopped taking orders, I'll have to re-assess that thought process.  I think it's viable, especially if you go deep on boxes.  It performs reasonably well for storage / aging once it starts to fill up.  If you do get one, I recommend keeping a desktop on hand for your immediate future smokes, as things can be annoying to access.  It's worth noting I got mine used for $100 and couldn't be happier with the performance I've gotten for that price, but at retail, you're in competition with an entry level Avallo, which by reputation are more well built (although smaller).  http://www.avallohumidors.com/1000.html

• Thanks 1

If you don’t need furniture aesthetics or cooling, source some 160 bottle wine coolers (broken) and convert them. I was looking for a used armoire, but finally sourced some coolers. I got one for free, and the other highly discounted 08633ddf32bd93905a385338333b2cde.jpg263339ed8c03597786c75fcdb41be80b.jpg

• Like 2