Punch Double Corona

So, now that they are available again, what are they like? I’m asking as someone who has never smoked one but is curious. They certainly seem to have serious fans, e.g. in the ‘lay down a box for 21 years’ thread. 

Any chance of slightly more accessible formats than ‘go big or go home’ 50 cabs?

Guest Nekhyludov

I'm one of those whose favorite regular production cigar is the Punch DC. Here's what I have in my notes from the TUP OCT 14 box I'm smoking through now:

These cigars have a beautiful, rich, chocolate colored wrapper with a characteristic Punch rosado hue.

It starts out with a slightly firm draw and thin smoke, but a dead even burn. Right away the flavor is complex, with a leather base and notes of fig and vanilla cream. The aroma is full of precise black cherry, almost completely distinct from the tobacco. The ash is a flaky gray/white.

The second third develops a pleasant, light, peppery profile and an aroma of fresh greens. I've heard it suggested that vegetal or grassy notes suggest inferior tobacco. I find it pleasant and refreshing as a complement to heavier flavors.

The final third has a slightly too-firm draw, but develops the existing profile and imparts a long, oily finish. 

Dress boxes are and have been intermittently available AFAIK.

It's the 50 cabs that have made a miraculous reemergence from being discontinued (but who knows for how long?)

I've not smoked many but I am a big fan (the profile being a lot different to any Punch Punch I've smoked) - the LOA JUN 12 I smoked last summer amongst my top cigars of 2018

Calling @mbflash80

• Thanks 2

I'm a big fan.  I'm still smoking from a 2005 50 Cab.  To my palate,they are like smoking a Snickers Bar. :)  Lots of peanut notes and chocolate throughout. My are aged and are a very smooth smoke. I do have some 2014's from a dress box split that I haven't smoked yet for comparison.  Overall, to me. Punch has a peanut butter thing going on which I love.

• Like 1

Speaking of Punch DC and 20 YO boxes, there are a bunch of ‘98 dress boxes for sale on one of the other forums. Tempted to pick a box up. Anyone know anything about the quality of these in the late 90’s? 

my all time favorite regular production cigar...have smoked them regularly going back 10+ years now...they are to me the most consistent of the DC format...and the best.  Some of the best cigars I have ever had have been from 2005, 2008, and 2013 Punch DC...oddly enough, I lean more towards the dress box for this cigar...Ive certainly had great experiences from the cabs...but for whatever reason the dress boxes have treated me better.  I wish I had more to offer you on the 98 question...I have heard good things but never been fortunate enough to smoke any.  

• Like 1

Punch DC is fuller flavored than the Gigante or Lusitania; not by a ton though.  If you are at all a Punch fan, you should like this cigar.  More flavor than the Punch Churchill FWIW

4 hours ago, Markspring1978 said:

Speaking of Punch DC and 20 YO boxes, there are a bunch of ‘98 dress boxes for sale on one of the other forums. Tempted to pick a box up. Anyone know anything about the quality of these in the late 90’s? 

Do yourself a favor : don't purchase anything from 1999/2000. The probability to get plugged cigars is too high. As for '98 I have smoked several boxes of Punch Coronas and DCs, that were excellent but that was 10 years ago… I'm not sure they have the potential for 20 years of age…

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Smallclub said:

Do yourself a favor : don't purchase anything from 1999/2000. The probability to get plugged cigars is too high. As for '98 I have smoked several boxes of Punch Coronas and DCs, that were excellent but that was 10 years ago… I'm not sure they have the potential for 20 years of age…

Agreed.  Big purchase as well, better to go for known quality.  These cigars need not be 20 years old.  I just finished a box of Punch DC's from late 90's and it wasn't any more enjoyable than a 2007 box.  Actually curious to try the most recent Punch DC's if the quality of current Punch Punch is an indicator.

• Like 1

That price is ridiculous and I have to wonder about previous storage and source...

26 minutes ago, Lotusguy said:

That price is ridiculous and I have to wonder about previous storage and source...

Not to mention, I was wrong, those aren’t DC, they are Churchill’s. 

On 2/2/2019 at 2:30 AM, Markspring1978 said:

(too) Late to the party, was just taking some pics of the box - anyway...

Difficult to advise, really depends on box and pricing. Sharing Smallclub's general precautionary note. But if you happen to find a box like these here... and the price is right, Id say take a chance: Not a '98 but a September '99 box (Briones Montoto made), down to the the last four as you can see, which I cherish, and most have been bliss (keeping them now wrapped in saran, removed for the pic). No construction issues to speak of (admittedly, I am highly tolerant of snug-drawing sticks). But this was a box I had picked in person.

Wouldn't spend more than USD 450-500 for a box, provided they are in good shape.

PDC.thumb.JPG.499742fb761721a6736cc44a9b0b4e12.JPG

PDC_.thumb.JPG.65ca9ee115705fa006641a06a2c86e0a.JPG

Hopefully, the FOH auctions will be up and running soon, and make the search for aged stock more transparent and less fraught with uncertainty.  

On 2/1/2019 at 10:30 AM, Markspring1978 said:

If prices are reasonable, authenticity can be validated, and they have been well stored, then you may find them very delightful. But for me I would be a bit concerned about the effect of age on the flavor and aroma intensity. These cigars had a delightful cedary spine and would start out quite mild, and evolve into a medium body about midway, and then they became nuanced but complex flavor morsels from there on. For what it's worth a couple of weeks ago I smoked a 1998 Punch Churchill I had kicking around in the bottom of a box, and I loved it, but it was notably milder and less intense than what I had previously experienced from that box. Body has definitely declined, and flavor delivery is about 70%-80% what it used to be. All the same characteristics were there, just milder and more faint.

2 minutes ago, Philc2001 said:

If prices are reasonable, authenticity can be validated, and they have been well stored, then you may find them very delightful. But for me I would be a bit concerned about the effect of age on the flavor and aroma intensity. These cigars had a delightful cedary spine and would start out quite mild, and evolve into a medium body about midway, and then they became nuanced but complex flavor morsels from there on. For what it's worth a couple of weeks ago I smoked a 1998 Punch Churchill I had kicking around in the bottom of a box, and I loved it, but it was notably milder and less intense than what I had previously experienced from that box. Body has definitely declined, and flavor delivery is about 70%-80% what it used to be. All the same characteristics were there, just milder and more faint.

I guess it comes down to personal preference. I'm currently into fresh smokes, I love the flavors and intensity, so I would go for a recent production box. I've not been "wowed" by a lot of stuff I've tried from the '90s. I've had better 2017 and 2018 stogies, for the most part.

around 2010, there was a site (no longer in biz) that had a very large quantity of cigars with box codes from 1998 - 2000. It was like they had bought all the cigars that failed quality control or were suspected of being poor quality. You could buy a dress box of Punch DC's for about $150. The prices across the board for these cigars was about half of the going prices in 2010. About 1/3 of the cigars I bought (and I bought around 30 boxes) were very tight and not worth smoking. I did however get about 9 boxes or Punch selection No.11 for $105 a box that smoked very well. the risk in getting plugged cigars from that date range is high. buyer beware.