The CC catch 22 reinvigorated NC enjoyment

54 minutes ago, TBird55 said:

I can count on one hand the number of NC I have smoked in the past 5 years. (smoke 3+ a day). Still have the last box of NC I bought, 2012 Opus X Perfection #2. I may get around to smoking them one day, maybe not...

Those Perfection #2 are prime right now!? I think once I get my inventory up on CC's and I have enough boxes that are smoking prime right now I won't be smoking as much NC's. If I had to choose between an Epernay Le Ferme or a fresh RASS, I'll pick the Le Ferme but versus a 3 year old RASS, I'll take the RASS. It's a patient waiting game for those of us just starting out that don't have the coin to buy aged and/or build immediate inventory.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JoeyBones777 said:

Those Perfection #2 are prime right now!? I think once I get my inventory up on CC's and I have enough boxes that are smoking prime right now I won't be smoking as much NC's. If I had to choose between an Epernay Le Ferme or a fresh RASS, I'll pick the Le Ferme but versus a 3 year old RASS, I'll take the RASS. It's a patient waiting game for those of us just starting out that don't have the coin to buy aged and/or build immediate inventory.

I probably smoke 45-50 habanos for every non.  Cuban tobacco is the best in the world, hands down, I think we all agree.  Lucky me, I love a fresh, mongrely cigar as much as an aged one.  As @MD Puffer would say, I'm a heathen who should be kept well away from good cigars.  I'd take that fresh RASS any day!  I really do appreciate those early flavors and edges.  But I do make an effort.  I'm sitting on about 15 boxes/cabs and I have maybe five more on the way.  In fact I just had a beautiful box of RASS arrive from our host.  I'll get into them in a couple years...I will TRY to get into them in a couple years.  :lookaround:

Boxes of Parti PCEs, Shorts, and Supers help me through the hard times.  :cigar: When I pick up a Nicaraguan cigar, it's purely for the change of pace and flavor.

Also, I only smoke 3 or 4 cigars per week.  If you can control yourself for a while, this will help you gain stock.  It also helps your palate, but that's another topic!

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, JoeyBones777 said:

...that don't have the coin to buy aged and/or build immediate inventory.

I would never, ever spend my hard-earned money on aged stock.  I would rather do it myself, and sample along the way.  Buying someone else's aged cigars sounds absolutely boring to me.  I'd miss out on all the fun.  Others will certainly disagree, but...I guess my point is, don't be afraid of < 3 year old Cuban cigars.  I see no point in insisting on only well aged cigars if you're just getting going and building up your personal stock.  Learning those early flavors and characteristics, and where they go with time, is important.  Just my opinion.  :thumbsup:

• Like 1

22 hours ago, JoeyBones777 said:

A couple of years ago I smoked a 3 year old RASS that started me down a path of full CC commitment. The catch 22; small cigar budget, initial creation of rotating CC aged stock and my need for variety when smoking.

I've found myself constantly trying to find some balance  here. I buy a couple boxes that don't need much age, some boxes that do need age and filling in the gaps with NC singles. Having done so has revitalized my enjoyment of NC's quite a bit.

I think what has occurred is that CC's have helped me hone in on exactly what I enjoy in a cigar and I now have great clarity in my search with regard to NC's. There are far fewer NC's that fill my requirements now but the ones I smoke I am enjoying a lot more.

Anyone else experience something similar?

This very much describes me. After getting into Cubans, my palate changed and refined quite a bit, and I was probably 75% CC for awhile.  I smoke about 50/50 now, with the intention of allowing the CCs to age longer.

I think it has helped that some new players have come onto the NC scene in the last few years with a greater emphasis on balance. I have no problem reaching for and enjoying cigars by Warped, Illusione, Crowned Heads, Caldwell, Regius, La Palina, and a few others, every bit as much as I enjoy CCs. 

I would still take a nicely aged Cuban as a first choice the vast majority of the time, but good NCs have their own unique profiles that stand on their own just fine. And sometimes that's what I'm in the mood for. 

Even if I had an unlimited supply of 25 year old scotch, sometimes I'm just in the mood for bourbon and nothing else will do. 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, ndhaon91 said:

Even if I had an unlimited supply of 25 year old scotch, sometimes I'm just in the mood for bourbon and nothing else will do. 

This is a good way of describing my current take.

When I smoked my first CC 3 years ago it was love at first sight. I swore I was not gonna spend another dime on NC’s, and just smoke the hundreds I had while I built up the CC's and got some age on them. That sentiment certainly helped me build up a good stock of CC’s over the next few years. But dammit, sometimes you just want something different to suit the mood, something with some rough edges perhaps, or just a different flavor experience. And there are some really interesting NC’s coming on the scene lately.

I love the variety in my life, so although I suspect my humidor will always be mostly CC - the aged scotch of cigars, there’s definitely a corner reserved for some great bourbons.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, aphexafx said:

Also, I only smoke 3 or 4 cigars per week.  If you can control yourself for a while, this will help you gain stock.  It also helps your palate, but that's another topic!

Yeah, I smoke 2 to 3 cigars a week on average. I will smoke the CC's young to see the progression but try to save as many as I can for when they are prime because I enjoy them immensely more without the elbows. I guess I'm a bit of a snob but I figure if I'm only smoking a couple times a week I really want it to be as enjoyable as possible. I won't waste my time with a plugged cigar or a cigar I don't like.

• Like 1