Cigar Snob, when a friend gives you a Cheap NC Cigar and ask you to smoke it with him.

Each Friday our Cigar Club gets together, we know each other now for a couple of years, and we all know our cigar preferences (mostly Habanos)

So this past Friday one of the new members who is the father of a good friend. Since this was the second time this new member was joining us and he had no idea that most of us are Cigar Snobs and in my case I mostly smoke Vintage Habanos. He was kind enough to gift me a 5 Vegas Double Corona. He meant it very well and this is not the first time someone gives me a Cheap NC cigar. I mostly say thank you, since I always appreciate the gesture, but I never smoke them, I mostly re-gift them. 

This time it was different, since he wanted to smoke this Double Corona with me. He insisted, even do I had brought a Vintage Bolivar Corona Gigante from 2007. So not much I could do, I did not know the proper cigar etiquette to say NO to this situation. So I had to smoke this well Harsh, Bitter, Acidic and just mainly bad smell double corona. I don't know if im spoiled or what, but I almost got sick, started getting  headache, stomach ache. I have been smoking habanos for 25 years and I used to smoke NC here and there. But I think this is my first time where I had to smoke such a bad Cheap NC Cigar. 

They say one should never make less of a gift, no matter what it is, and I really felt bad when this person was insisting that we smoke this $3 dlls Stick together. I ask FOH Forum members, what do you do in this situation, I am that bad of a person, that much of a Cigar Snob. How can you tell a person, no I don't want your cheap cigar, I only smoke aged vintage habanos. Since I really don't want to go through this situation again, after finishing this stogie, I had to take Pepto tablets and my wife asked me "What did you smoke" you smell like a cheap bar. 

And yes I am spoiled, and yes you can judge me, but I ask you in my position what would you have done, and what would be the proper diplomatic response next time someone ask you to smoke a cheap NC cigar with them. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you, but I have a bit of a cold and will save this for when I’m feeling better and can appreciate the flavors. Then spark off your cigar and enjoy the ride. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, toledo1969 said:

They say one should never make less of a gift, no matter what it is, and I really felt bad when this person was insisting that we smoke this $3 dlls Stick together. I ask FOH Forum members, what do you do in this situation, I am that bad of a person, that much of a Cigar Snob. How can you tell a person, no I don't want your cheap cigar, I only smoke aged vintage habanos. Since I really don't want to go through this situation again, after finishing this stogie, I had to take Pepto tablets and my wife asked me "What did you smoke" you smell like a cheap bar. 

Erm.  If the person is insisting, to the point of annoyance or awkwardness, that you smoke their cigar, then that's not gift territory.  That's invasive and rude.  I would have no problem telling her/him, no thank you, I'm not interested, I brought my own.  That isn't rude.  If I become "the guy who rejected a free cigar" then that's fine with me.  Bonus.  If the person feels rejected because of a cigar, then they probably put way too much weight in their own choices and opinions.  That's their problem.  No need to lie.  ?

Am I an arse?  ?

I would tell him I would smoke it, but first, you smoke my *insert just about any Cuban cigar* and if you feel I would enjoy it after you partake in that...then I will. No problem.

I am a very honest person, but i try to be nice when declining something. I don't want to go through pain just to appease someone or make them happy. Life is too short

I love cigars........but they can give you cancer.   I will not smoke cigars, I know I'm not going to enjoy.  

If someone wanted to introduce me to a terrible cigar, I would suggest lighting up another cigar at the same time, and we'll see how they compare.  Then subtly just smoke my cigar.     

Life it too short to pretend you like things, and if the person knew you were pretending, they'd be more pissed off

• Like 1

Never happened to me but in that situation I would probably thank them for their kindness and mention how a nicotine heavy non Cuban isn’t in the cards for me that evening and offer one of my Cubans so they can understand and get up to speed. Just don’t make them feel bad. It’s coming from a good place and the last thing any cigar guy should do is push an air of exclusivity and potentially discourage someone from having one with you. The other weekend I had a blast smoking cigars with a bunch of firemen at a bachelor party and they brought fake cohibas, acids, and black and milds. Didn’t make it any less of a fun time. Just couldn’t geek out like I can here haha. 

My girlfriend hates IPAs so it's easy for her to turn down any.  When a friend offers a pliney the elder (big thing where we live) and she says "no thank I dont enjoy those" people are not offended.

With coffee I'm a total snob but will just pound down whatevers offered.  I hate Keurigs or gas station coffee but I'd rather have one then explain why I'm above it.

Now cigars are a bit tougher since there too many too things at play (source, quality, storage, then the actual type of stick itself) that you have to consider when someone treats you a gift.  If it's an offer of enjoy this with me, either tough it out, live a lie and add it to your experience, or keep it real (this can be rude tacky and nuanced).  Explain you've had those and dont like it, or be super condescending and explain why they are so oblivious.  Worst case you ruin a friendship and get more free time.  CC snobs are the worst so if you are one either own it or hide that shame.

With my very close friends and family we can be open and brutal to eachother.  I've had a buddy toss a 1/4 smoked siglo ii because it was plugged.  Wish he had tried to fix it, kinda hurt at first but I really value that we dont lie and are open books with opinions, no one wastes time with pleasantries and feelings.  My main rules are good friends arent worth lying to and what's good for me is good for the group.

Having good taste does not make you a snob and you certainly didn’t act like one. How to avoid smoking a dog turd given by a good friends father and now a member of your cigar club? The sneaky ways....light it and only purge it...drop it in your drink...drop it on the floor and step on it..there’s lots that come to mind. But usually honesty is the best policy. I would have told him I’d love to smoke a cigar with you but these are way to strong for me....that’s the truth. 

Another sneaky way is to constantly talk and have to re-light your cigar when it goes out. You end up just puffing on it several times, but burning away most of it in re-lights.

Edit: Of course, that only works if you a naturally chatty... or can waffle on like me. :lol3:

• Like 2

4 hours ago, golf4less said:

Thank you, but I have a bit of a cold and will save this for when I’m feeling better and can appreciate the flavors. Then spark off your cigar and enjoy the ride. 

This was written in jest. I have had this happen to me a few times at the cigar bar I frequent when I’m in Ft. Myers. I always thank the person and smoke his gift, though now when I enter the bar, my choice of smoke will already be torched and in my hand, problem solved. 

• Like 1

Father of a good friend?  I smoke his cigar and show gratitude for his gift and grind through it. Hell, it’s the polite thing to do. 

Im not a Romeo y Julieta fan, but if one of you guys came to a sit down with a RyJ Churchill and gifted it to me to smoke there, I would smoke it. Even if I didn’t care for it, I would thank you for it and say good things about it. 

Just my 2¢. 

• Like 1

*If he gave you a 5 Vegas Churchill, renowned in cigar catalogs as the bees knees, he no doubt thought he was gifting you a highly desired and coveted stick ( :wacko: ).  I would go ahead and politely accept it too. After all - if he was on a steady diet of Habanos as we are, he would have a different (and educated) outlook. For whatever that was that was given to you that was in fact truly a "piece of crap"...I willingly smoke some unknowns just to see if it might be a diamond in the rough. Although, they usually do turn out to be unknowns for a reason...just like you, toledo, unfortunately experienced. 

I have gently turned down sticks before because circumstance permitted it (in most cases I had brought my own).  I smoke with my neighbor and he brought over some terrible freebies thrown in from a box purchase.  We made it a quarter of the way through and I got out something much more pleasant when we both agreed they weren't worth the time.  That said, if someone brought something specifically for me to smoke with them and it was a kind gesture, a friends father who wasn't my peer / buddy, etc. I would probably bite the bullet and smoke it with him and smile through the whole thing.  Sorry it was a DC.  That's a lot of time to grin and bear it!

8 hours ago, Fuzz said:

Another sneaky way is to constantly talk and have to re-light your cigar when it goes out. You end up just puffing on it several times, but burning away most of it in re-lights.

Edit: Of course, that only works if you a naturally chatty... or can waffle on like me. :lol3:

You can also be very liberal with a straight cut, torch another quarter off upon light, do a touch up to correct wonky burn before waiting for it to go out and re-lighting and taking the last puff and saying thank you for that incredible smoke.

20 minutes ago, koosh said:

You can also be very liberal with a straight cut, torch another quarter off upon light, do a touch up to correct wonky burn before waiting for it to go out and re-lighting and taking the last puff and saying thank you for that incredible smoke.

I wouldn't do that last bit. You may just get a few more of those cigars. I would just say, "Thank you for the cigar, it was quite nice, but not exactly to my personal taste".

You could lie and tell him you had one a few weeks back and either didn't care for it or it is too close to your last experience to have another. 

With the amount of cigars I find time for I am refusing to spend any time one crap cigars. Although, in the same situation I probably would have taken it because I am pushover. 

It happens to me from time to time.  Most people will let you just put it away “for later”, but when someone wants to smoke it with me, I just tell them “I appreciate the offer, but I only like Cuban cigars.”  

People seem to take that pretty well....at least to my face.

Hmm, OK I reread the scenario.  I was imagining some rando trying to force a big ugly cigar on me in public.  So this was the father of a friend, club member, with well intentions.  I would still stick to my guns.  I would just explain that I'm super picky and have brought my own cigar that I've been looking forward to enjoying.  A big smile and a self deprecating laugh will usually break down any awkwardness and rejection.  I'm picky, it's my fault, have at your cigar, my friend.  You tried your best.  Maybe next time.  ?

It's still kind of rude though.  Like when someone orders for the table at a restaurant.  But, of course, it's well intended.  ??

My barber told me a story about one of his clients. End of the year he's feeling festive so he puts out bottles of booze and offers drinks to his patrons. He offered this person a scotch. Guy says sure I'll take one. My buddy had Johnny Walker Double Black or something to the effect. He pours the young man and himself a drink. After a few minutes he notices the young man hasn't touched his drink. He gets curious... Hey did you need something with your scotch? Water/ice/soda?

Guy goes... No man sorry, I only drink single malt. He never drank it. My barber friend says, I don't care that he only drinks single malt. That's his preference, but he let me pour two drinks. He knew while I was pouring the first drink that he wasn't going to drink it. A bit of a di@k move. 

My coworker and I go smoking every so often. I tell him, you can pay for drinks if you want but I'll bring the cigars. At this stage we don't need to discuss it anymore. At the beginning he'd bring stuff and I'd tell him I'll take it with me and smoke it later. I would, at a later date, light it up and take a few puffs. Take a pic. Send it to him. Thank him. Let the cigar die a peaceful death where nobody could see. I still get the occasional, you gotta try this but less frequently. Friendship is preserved thru a bit of deception I suppose. Some folks will simply refuse to take no for an answer.

• Like 2