Cigar Snob, when a friend gives you a Cheap NC Cigar and ask you to smoke it with him.

This happened to me recently at my company’s sales conference. A guy gave me a random cigar to smoke. I said “I have a cigar I’ve been craving all day back in my room” and went back and grabbed two old Siglo V tubos. Gave one to him and put the one he gave me in my box. Seemed like I pulled it off. 

Cigars are one of few things I do that with as they take time to smoke. I am super picky about the scotch I drink but even a Johnnie Walker Red I’ll drink happily if needed. So the “single malt only” guy makes me roll my eyes a little. If a barber offered me a JW Double Black while I was getting my haircut I’d be pretty happy! I might even drink a Jose Cuervo in that situation. 

• Like 1

I'd happily accept the gift, but insist that I was very excited to smoke the cigar I had brought, as I had been saving it specifically for that occasion. I'd be grateful for the gifted cigar, and return the favor by giving them one of my habanos. I almost always bring a few cigars with me to events like that, expressly for giving away as gifts.

I don't see any issues with politely refusing to smoke the gifted cigar on the spot. I don't drink, for example. If someone insists that I share a drink with them... I'm not going to do it - regardless of who they are or how much they insist.

It's good etiquette to graciously accept a gift. It's bad etiquette to forcefully insist on how another person enjoy the gift you give them.

Once I give someone a gift, it is their choice how they enjoy it. I've gifted a lot of cigars [in person] over the years. I used to be very anal retentive (as is my nature) about how they cut, lit, smoked it. It completely ruins the gesture. Now I have a completely different philosophy of gift giving. Once it's given away, I have ZERO control over it anymore. If I give someone a cigar, I have to accept it if they chop it in half, light it sideways, take two puffs, and stomp it out. It's 100% their decision what they do with the gift.

Had a bbq at my place recently, and invited a few of the Sydney crew. Handed out some La Puntilla to those who had not gotten them from me on a previous occasion. Not only did I insist they smoke the Puntilla, I did not let them leave until they had their fill of food and drink! 

:P

14 minutes ago, Fuzz said:

Had a bbq at my place recently, and invited a few of the Sydney crew. Handed out some La Puntilla to those who had not gotten them from me on a previous occasion. Not only did I insist they smoke the Puntilla, I did not let them leave until they had their fill of food and drink! 

:P

Damn I need to come visit then :rotfl:

9 hours ago, BuzzArd said:

I’da smoked it with him and been grateful it wasn’t a 4 Vegas which would be 20% worse...

And said “next time I’ll bring you a cigar and you smoke with me” andnid bring a fair decent Habano.  Not too fancy mind you, but agood introduction cigar.   

This is what I'd do too.  We've all suffered through worse.  To spare someone the embarrassment of rejecting a gift, I say suck it up, Buttercup. 

Return the well-intentioned gesture by making the introduction to one of yours without saying anything to suggest you got the better of him somehow.     

• Like 2

Be a good person and smoke it with him. As long as the intent is genuine be happy for it just as you should be excited to get a crappy gift from your wife on Christmas morning. Don't ever make somone feel bad after they tried to do something kind. Make them feel good about doing something good. Besides it will help you continue to appreciate better quality cigars. The world these days doesn't have enough "suck it up" left which in my mind is a huge character builder and definately develops appreciation.... Just my 2 cents lol 

• Like 2

On 2/10/2019 at 1:44 PM, El Presidente said:

assuming there was only good intent, the correct etiquette is to smoke it with him.

....and somehow find a positive thing or two to say. 

It's all about a little humanity/humility. Be glass half full. as they say, "a rising tide lifts all boats".  You are likely to be laughing about it together in the years to come. 

I agree.  Your 2007 Bolivar will still be good next Friday.  Bring him one and smoke it with him then. 

It's a tough situation.  I only smoke 1-2 a week, and I'm sure as hell not wasting one of those smoke sessions on a trash cigar.  

I prefer NCs, but your average smoke shop's humidor is filled with 95% garbage or just plain average.  I was recently gifted one of those flavored ACID cigars and had to smoke it with someone.  I almost vomited.  It tasted like I was licking the floors at a shop that sold women's perfume and incense.  That was the last time I'll ever smoke some random shit.  

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, RyviaUSA said:

It's a tough situation.  I only smoke 1-2 a week, and I'm sure as hell not wasting one of those smoke sessions on a trash cigar.  

I prefer NCs, but your average smoke shop's humidor is filled with 95% garbage or just plain average.  I was recently gifted one of those flavored ACID cigars and had to smoke it with someone.  I almost vomited.  It tasted like I was licking the floors at a shop that sold women's perfume and incense.  That was the last time I'll ever smoke some random shit.  

I read your post with Arnold's voice in my head and it made me laugh. ?  Agreed.  There is no reason to smoke a cigar you don't want to smoke.  Just be polite about it.  Done.

• Haha 1