Future of the Double Corona Vitola?

I love the double corona since my smoking preference is to sit down at the end of the day and smoke one long-lasting cigar and relax for a good while with some tea/coffee and a podcast. I was wondering what the recent history of the vitola is and what Habanos’s attitude seems to be regarding the vitola. Is this one of the chopping block/discontinuation target vitolas across the lines? 

B5B8C629-F307-4120-8AEA-298FEDBC983A.jpeg

• Like 1

Well, they released the Hoyo de Monterrey Escodigos this past year, and it's Paco size is practically another Hoyo double corona, just a little bit shorter and a hair skinnier. It also is priced about 50% higher. So that is what I would expect from double coronas in the future: 50% higher prices for practically the same cigar.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Edward7 said:

Why is it that big wrapper leaf is so scarce right now for vitola's such as the Esplendido and BHK and VI, yet there are plenty of DC's produced. Different leaves for the larger format Cohibas?

I'm just guessing, but I thought the Behike bottle-neck was limited by the availability of the sacred medio tiempo leaves.

1 hour ago, BirdDog said:

Triple fermented? I have seen this said befor but am not sure exactly what it means. 

Mare Cohiba wrappers fermented for 3 years? Or are they fermented once and then re-fermented twice? (Over an unspecified amount of time)

Supposedly the leaves are stuffed into barrels for the extra fermentation. There are pictures of the barrels around one, wether they are used or not and it's a bit of a marketing ploy....who knows at this point!

5 hours ago, Notsocleaver said:

Well, they released the Hoyo de Monterrey Escodigos this past year, and it's Paco size is practically another Hoyo double corona, just a little bit shorter and a hair skinnier. It also is priced about 50% higher. So that is what I would expect from double coronas in the future: 50% higher prices for practically the same cigar.

Depends on the market you're looking at. In some it's considerably cheaper than the DC.

2 hours ago, BirdDog said:

Mare Cohiba wrappers fermented for 3 years? Or are they fermented once and then re-fermented twice? (Over an unspecified amount of time)

triple-, not for three years. And not the wrapper.

I think in these fast paced times the average person doesn't have 2 hours to commit to a large format like a DC. To tell you the truth, in 30 years of cigar experience I have never bought or even smoked one. Most likely never will. My sweet spot time wise is around 1 hour of smoking time. This keeps me interested without getting bored with the cigar. My 2 favorite formats are Robustos and Petit Coronas. Throw in a #2 Piramide once in awhile. That is all I need. Personally I think the DC will go extinct like the dinosaur. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, NYgarman said:

I think in these fast paced times the average person doesn't have 2 hours to commit to a large format like a DC. To tell you the truth, in 30 years of cigar experience I have never bought or even smoked one. Most likely never will. My sweet spot time wise is around 1 hour of smoking time. This keeps me interested without getting bored with the cigar. My 2 favorite formats are Robustos and Petit Coronas. Throw in a #2 Piramide once in awhile. That is all I need. Personally I think the DC will go extinct like the dinosaur. 

I am younger than you've been smoking?? Ha sorry, couldn't resist...

Anyway, the Partagas Lusitania changed my whole outlook on smoking cigars. I learned that sometimes even when you're busy, to plan that 2-3 hours can be magical. Even if I'm sitting and working on the computer, or homework, etc. It's a great accompaniment and helps me to relax. I am going to hoard DCs for the next year or two, but hope that they never stop making them. 

But you're right, not many people can say they have 3 hours to set aside to just sit and enjoy a DC. Weather permitting, no access to lounge, no time, etc etc.

Having said all this, my favorites list is also a mile long...can't help myself, I like 99% of what I smoke. (habanos only)

I think they've discontinued enough DC/Churchill/etc. that they should keep what's left! Only hoping

The Lusi and HdM DC are two of my all time favorites, very rarely disappointed. Same story as many, never enough time, especially with only outdoor smoking and cold winters. When I get a chance though, they're always a joy. Some could definitely be on the chopping block. There are only 4 left in production, down from 7 only a few years back, but I would be surprised if the Lusi or HdM DC were discontinued any time soon. That said, I'm sure many have had some of their favorites discontinued with little thought of that being a reality. Shoot, now you have me thinking I should double down on a couple cabs before it's too late... 

@Elpresidente Would it be intrusive to ask where in the spectrum the Lusi and/or HdM DC fall in regards to Habanos sales?  

6 hours ago, BirdDog said:

Triple fermented? I have seen this said befor but am not sure exactly what it means. 

"Uniquely among Habanos up to three of Cohiba's filler leaves, the seco, ligero and the rare medio tiempo, undergo an additional fermentation in barrels. This unique process produces a special aroma and flavour you will only find in Cohiba".

Quote from Simon Chase's book.

The wrappers are standard, but Cohiba is said to receive the best. 

14 hours ago, CaptainQuintero said:

The 109 is very popular and it's basically a double corona, but it usually comes as a fancy release

Right. The 109s are popular because they are usually ERs that are a cut above in uniqueness and quality.

I think it boils down to sales. Lusi and Hoyo DC do well but the others never did. @El Presidente could give some insight into past DC sales. IIRC cigars like the El Morro, RAG, VRDA and SLR DC have pretty much been sales dogs for much of this century. Same with Churchills. QdO Imperiales, BCG, LGC Tainos and Punch Churchills gathered serious dust for many years before their end. Obviously, Esplendido, SW and RyJ Churchills are much more popular and have consequently been spared. 

I would imagine the El Morro and VRDA are cooked and I really don't know what will become of the SLR DC but it's also probably toast. I don't expect the Lusi or Hoyo DC to be cut. The RAG is also a wobbler. I would probably expect it to be cut at some point as well, but RA in general is a very popular brand and who knows, the RAG might just survive.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, NSXCIGAR said:

I think it boils down to sales. Lusi and Hoyo DC do well but the others never did. @El Presidente could give some insight into past DC sales. IIRC cigars like the El Morro, RAG, VRDA and SLR DC have pretty much been sales dogs for much of this century. Same with Churchills. QdO Imperiales, BCG, LGC Tainos and Punch Churchills gathered serious dust for many years before their end. Obviously, Esplendido, SW and RyJ Churchills are much more popular and have consequently been spared. 

I would imagine the El Morro and VRDA are cooked and I really don't know what will become of the SLR DC but it's also probably toast. I don't expect the Lusi or Hoyo DC to be cut. The RAG is also a wobbler. I would probably expect it to be cut at some point as well, but RA in general is a very popular brand and who knows, the RAG might just survive.

There are very few cigars that have been cut that didn't deserve to be so based on sales numbers. 

The double banded dollar gobbler brigade are holding up RAG and a host of others from Sancho, RG etc.

Given the worlds rediscovery of QD, it may be worth bringing them (Imperiales) back as 10's at least. 

• Like 2

I think Hoyo Double Corona will be presented as a Gran Reserva during the Festival next week, won't be?

Yup - saw it on halfwheel just now.

I’m waiting with bated breath.... until 2021 when they are actually released ;)
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, rabidraccoon said:

I love the double corona since my smoking preference is to sit down at the end of the day and smoke one long-lasting cigar and relax for a good while with some tea/coffee and a podcast. I was wondering what the recent history of the vitola is and what Habanos S.A.’s attitude seems to be regarding the vitola. Is this one of the chopping block/discontinuation target vitolas across the lines?

Recent history and further previous discussion...

• Like 1