Need to store cigars for about 9 weeks without a humidor

My stay in Taiwan is coming to an end. We'll leave Taichung on 2/26 do a 7 week holiday, return on 4/17. leaving for the states on 4/22.

Average humidity is around 67% temp is around 74f/23c.

I've about 16 full boxes I'll be storing, the big question is would you wrap each box in cling film or just secure them shut and throw a bunch of boved 65's in the carry on luggage/storage container?

Cheer and thanks!

I'm not sure if they are available where you are (I assume they are?), but I'd recommend buying some large ziploc bags and using those for storage. They should keep for a few months even without boveda packs if temp is stable. If you wanted to be safe, I'd add a small boveda pack to each bag.

Agree with vacuum seal.  I bought one a while back for food and use it for all sorts of things now.  Cant reccomend enough.

Assuming humidity is solved your temp is a little high.  Maybe find a cool spot to store (a/c or dark corner low in closet?).  A cooler helps to reduce the range in fluctuations.  If you are going bagged then a cheapo foam cooler will do just fine.

Seal each box and the put humidity into the box that is holding the boxes.

I have a Noella jar that is vacuum sealed in my cellar.  8 months in, I checked in on it and was perfectly humid.

Guest Nekhyludov

I think I posted this before, but I definitely second the vacuum sealer recommendation. I don't know if you can find it in Taichung, but here's exactly what I used. Worked like a champ over a period of about 5 weeks, through some pretty brutal temperatures during a winter move.

https://cigaracquisitiondisorder.blogspot.com/2018/01/packing-your-cigar-inventory-for-move.html

30 minutes ago, Nekhyludov said:

I think I posted this before, but I definitely second the vacuum sealer recommendation. I don't know if you can find it in Taichung, but here's exactly what I used. Worked like a champ over a period of about 5 weeks, through some pretty brutal temperatures during a winter move.

https://cigaracquisitiondisorder.blogspot.com/2018/01/packing-your-cigar-inventory-for-move.html

Good record of your move. I also used the weathertight containers for a while. Then I found black weather resistant containers. Just helps keep the light out; same thing your planks are doing. 

Thanks all, I do have a seal a meal, will give it a go. I typically store my cigars at 23c and 65 bovedas, not really understanding why this is considered to warm.

4 minutes ago, Bucky McSwensen said:

Over 21c is a risk for beatles and mold.  Not guaranteed failure but you are redlining it in the long term.  Habanos recommends 16-18c.  They also say 65 to 70 rh (blech) so what do they know.

I have always keep my cigars within the 16C to 18C range, but my target is a maximum RH of 65%.  This suits my combined wine / cigar cellar conditions.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Trevor2118 said:

I have always keep my cigars within the 16C to 18C range, but my target is a maximum RH of 65%. 

Same!  I have a little cigar fridge inside with my ready to smoke stash at the same range (61 to 64 F) with a bunch of boveda at 62%.

My storage stash (aging, partial boxes, addiction to emailing di overflow) are a combo of coolers and/or vacuum sealed with beads or boveda at 65%.  The temps fluctuate more since it's not temp controlled but I'm not super worried about too cold.  Need to figure out something by summer since no ac, but for now we are good.

I like this range as it allows for some flex in exact temp or humidity without hitting the danger zone.  All storage will get acclimated to smokable conditions when the time arrives

Edited by Bucky McSwensen
Additional closing