Bob from Aristocrat Humidor Retiring

I just talked to Bob Staebell from Aristocrat Humidor and he will no longer be making humidors.  I am gutted.  In my opinion the bets of the best, and a great person to boot.

He told me he is finishing up on the last of his orders and will be closing.  He will continue selling the humidification units.  

Congrads to Bob on retirement.  

His humidors do pop up time to time for sale as used. We all eventually die, and some do quit the cigar hobby which leaves humidors for sale. Pretty sure most widows or ex-cigar smokers have no use for an Aristocrat.

Bob still answers his emails and is a great man. Just installed a brand new set n forget on my 12+ year old artistocrat. Sent me some extra connector for the original wiring too. I must say the new control is much better than the old style it replaced. Very sensitive and accurate. Great upgrade.

On ‎2‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 1:35 PM, Corylax18 said:

It doesn't surprise me at all. His Humidors gained the following they did because of the unwavering pride he had in everything he produced.

Why would he possibly sully that reputation by selling the brand name to someone who almost certainly wouldn't put the same pride/care in the process? Bob Staebel is Aristocrat. Aristocrat is Bob Staebel. His humis weren't cheap. My guess is he's set for life and cares more about maintaining the legacy of the brand than another few thousand dollars.  

They WERE cheap (affordable) when you consider the time and expense invested into building one. And the different veneer finishes are works of art. What is 3-5 thousand dollars when it will last beyond a lifetime and safely store 20K+ worth of cigars?

1 hour ago, NYgarman said:

They WERE cheap (affordable) when you consider the time and expense invested into building one. And the different veneer finishes are works of art. What is 3-5 thousand dollars when it will last beyond a lifetime and safely store 20K+ worth of cigars?

Price and Value are two different things.

$3-5k is extremely expensive for a piece of furniture, functional or not. 

That being said, I agree completely that his Units are an exceptional value. Its hard to find that level of craftsmanship in anything built today. resale values will only continue to go up now, so within a few years you could arguably selling your used unit for more than you paid for it.

Lets put this entire conversation in perspective though. 99% of humanity (non cigar smokers) would read this and think we're all completely out of our minds. $25k for something you're just gunna light on fire? 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Corylax18 said:

Price and Value are two different things.

$3-5k is extremely expensive for a piece of furniture, functional or not. 

That being said, I agree completely that his Units are an exceptional value. Its hard to find that level of craftsmanship in anything built today. resale values will only continue to go up now, so within a few years you could arguably selling your used unit for more than you paid for it.

Lets put this entire conversation in perspective though. 99% of humanity (non cigar smokers) would read this and think we're all completely out of our minds. $25k for something you're just gunna light on fire? 

I spent 25K+ on this, and nowadays all you need is your smartphone to tell the time. :rotfl:

sub2.jpg

41 minutes ago, NYgarman said:

I spent 25K+ on this, and nowadays all you need is your smartphone to tell the time. :rotfl:

sub2.jpg

My Rolex (though not near as nice) has been in my nightstand for years. I realized I never looked at it for the time, so I quit wearing it.