Cuba Trip Report- 2nd Hand

Markspring1978

On 2/14/2019 at 2:03 PM, mtapia3 said:

I didn’t know there was a hotel Flordita LCDH and hotel Manzana LCDH...

The 2nd floor of the Manzana Kempinski has a nice cigar lounge that is like many things in Cuba--elegant, ornate, and usually empty. It's not really promoted much and most people who stop in at this hotel to visit are going up to the 7th or 8th floor roof terrace. The 2nd floor cigar lounge had a pretty decent selection, lots of singles available, and a nice lady who was very knowledgeable working there. We stopped in on two separate occasions on my last trip in Jan. 2019 and it was pretty much empty both times. The room also has individual balconies every 8-10 feet with double doors so you can pull a few chairs and a table over to your own little balcony, and enjoy views of Parque Cental and the surrounding buildings. The cigars here are sold at a 10% mark-up over LCDH prices, so I was warned,..it seemed like maybe 15% or so to me.

I never knew this lounge existed. Sounds like it’s worth a visit. 

It’s worth seeing but as DSegal said it’s usually empty which affects the general atmosphere and enjoyment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

image.png.f0cb507b6fdbb4945df2f222f2bca787.png

A friend, who thought he was doing a favor for his cigar smoking buddies, bought a box just like this from his Uber driver in Miami. None of the stickers were attached to the box, the box corners were square instead of rounded and the cigars smelled like fresh cut grass. Sadly, I had to tell him they were fakes.

Anyway, great story and pics, thanks for sharing!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Derboesekoenig said:

Can you ask him where he recommends to stay in Varadero?

Trying to find a different place than I stayed at last time.

He just texted me this info: The Royalton is the probably the nicest but it’s pricey. The Iberostar is the highest rated/most expensive...but I think the Royalton is the better value on high end options. Best value is the Sol Polmeras. It’s middle priced but in pretty good shape, decent food, good service. 

17 minutes ago, Markspring1978 said:

He just texted me this info: The Royalton is the probably the nicest but it’s pricey. The Iberostar is the highest rated/most expensive...but I think the Royalton is the better value on high end options. Best value is the Sol Polmeras. It’s middle priced but in pretty good shape, decent food, good service. 

Thanks. I appreciate it. I stayed at Hotel Ocean Vista Azul....it was ok. But meh. Would rather stay somewhere else

Thanks. I appreciate it. I stayed at Hotel Ocean Vista Azul....it was ok. But meh. Would rather stay somewhere else

If I’m in Cuba with my wife we do a split Havana/Varadero trip and have stayed at the Laguna Azul a couple of times. It was good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

On 2/14/2019 at 11:03 AM, mtapia3 said:

I didn’t know there was a hotel Flordita LCDH and hotel Manzana LCDH...

There isn't.  The shop beside Floridita is a Casa del Ron y Tabaco...(Dodgy at best), and the shop at Manzana is a Cohiba Atmosphere.  

The author also talks about an LCDH on Mercaderes. That is incorrect. It is a Casa del Tabaco, not an LCDH.

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, BigSkySmoke said:

Wow...awesome write up. Anyway he mentioned if he shipped the art back prior to flying?

And actually, this guy lives close to you in Kalispell. 

He brought the artwork back in a tube. 

7 hours ago, Markspring1978 said:

And actually, this guy lives close to you in Kalispell. 

He brought the artwork back in a tube. 

Right down the road from me...we are planning for the end of October/beginning of Nov. And one thing Ive been trying to read up on is the best way to ship back to the states. Art, kitchenware, ect...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...