Proper maintenance of HU 2007 travel humidor?

DSegal

Just received a 2007 HU Travel Humidor. I am assuming the little plastic sponge-cartridge thing is just meant to absorb a little distilled water, and that's pretty much it? And does anyone use anything to condition the leather on a travel humidor, or just wipe it down with damp cloth occasionally? Last ?--Has anyone smoked one of these 2007 Robustos recently? Thanks--Dan

I got one of these last year and it's a beautiful item indeed. Yes, a little distilled water is just the thing but they don't work very well over a week or so. Try a folded 62% Boveda pack in the bottom instead, or slot it into a spare tube once you've smoked one of the cigars. The leather just needs an occasional wipe as you said. I haven't used any sort of product on the leather as it's obviously a very high quality cut and smells incredible, which I don't want to lose or spoil.
The cigars themselves are lovely and smooth and carry the leather and cedar smell of the humi. I've got two left now, which I've kept out of it for probably six months, but they still have that distinctive leather smell.
Congratulations on your acquisition BTW! 787819272b911ca1a3190a9df7e3aaa0.jpg

Sent from my ActionMan walkie-talkie

• Like 1

It sure is pretty, but as an actual travel humidor it is useless. Only fits Robustos and smaller and those sponge thingies didn’t work right 20 years ago when they were state of the art...

• Like 1

Thanks for the info. I use Boveda packs in my humidors so I have some on hand. Since it's mid winter, the whole thing was cold when I opened it and I'm hoping a few days of acclimating to room temperature (humi temps) will perk up the aromas. This is the first time I've bought any CC product from a distant 3rd party retailer...I have only bought CC in Cuba myself, or from a friend who goes regularly and buys select boxes from a few good shops. Not sure if I should name names here but I am confident they are known for authentic CC, just the presentation is a little rough. The creases around the zippers look kind of dusty, or that some of the sponge material may have begun to break down a little, and that's why I was asking about cleaning. These are 12 years old I guess, so it makes sense they've sat a long time. Anyway, they will be a pleasure to smoke on a spring day coming up here soon.

I like the robustos and smaller size but sure, there would be times I'll want to pack something bigger. I find the most useful walking-around size is a 2 or 3 stick case and this is obviously too big for that too.

1 hour ago, Lotusguy said:

It sure is pretty, but as an actual travel humidor it is useless. Only fits Robustos and smaller and those sponge thingies didn’t work right 20 years ago when they were state of the art...

Agreed. As a travel humidor, you're better off with a Xikar or Cigar Caddy. Very nice to look at, but impractical. However, the robustos that came with it.... heavenly! I think I have one more left.

As for care, I just wipe it down with a slightly moist terry towel to clean, and give it a light coat of leather balm (I use Renapur) to avoid it drying out. I took out the little humidification block and replaced the greem foam with some RH beads. Glued a piece of nylon stocking to the lid to stop the beads falling out.

I’ve had one for years unfortunately when I got it there were no cigars. Great leather and quality but not practical for me for when I’m going out and taking cigars. Regarding humidification, unless your away for at least a week or it is very dry you wouldn’t need to worry about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've seen a bunch of these and pretty much all of them had mold issues. The case is lovely, but as lotusguy states "pretty useless". The cigars, as long as the mold hasnt penetrated or changed colours, are very, very good. Keep an eye on them.

1 hour ago, DSegal said:

I look up Renapur. Obviously want to avoid imparting any odor to the leather or the cigars...thanks guys.
Dan

I've never noticed any odour from Renapur. I use in on a lot of my leather goods (jackets, boots, bags etc).

11 hours ago, shlomo said:

I've seen a bunch of these and pretty much all of them had mold issues. The case is lovely, but as lotusguy states "pretty useless". The cigars, as long as the mold hasnt penetrated or changed colours, are very, very good. Keep an eye on them.

First thing I checked was the cigars and they look good. Assuming they don't need more than 30 days rest to try one, given they already have some years on them.