Sleep hygiene hypocrisy

15 minutes ago, FatherOfPugs said:

For the record, I tried every measure you laid out above to "cure" my apnea, none of them did so. I went a whole year without alcohol to see if it would make a difference as recommended by by my PCP, didn't do one lick of good for my sleep apnea. I put the machine on and I sleep, that's pretty causal for me. CPAP does cure my apnea, it disappears when I use the machine. Whatever underlying causes I have, go away when the machine is used. Don't want to use one, fine. 

I regularly go long periods without a cigar, went 8 weeks without a single puff in the summer when it's 105 outside. I've traveled and lived all over this great country, we do have an obesity problem, but putting healthy, in-shape folks in the category based on a terrible indicator that doesn't take body composition into account is careless. Eating "red meat" has got nothing to do with anything, that is a political agenda hidden in BS. One year red meat is bad, the next it is ok, then it switches again, just BS. Association, not causation, and most of the studies villifying red meat fail to tease out other lifestyle habits. The same with eggs.

Just assuming people have unhealthy lifestyles on here because we admit we have apnea is offensive. You have no idea how I eat, how I train, how I take care of myself; indulging in cigar a day or a few a week, and having 1 drink a night is hardly an unhealthy lifestyle. Hell, the US Dietary Guidelines say we can have 1 - 2 drinks a day for men and it is normal and ok. Unless you're a teetotaler, holier than thou because you don't drink. Have 4 or more and yeah, binge drinking which is horrible for you. The amount of cigars a day has already been discussed ad nauseam on another thread. 

On a lighter note, keep in mind some in our "land of the free" want to ban cows altogether, due to the flatulence destroying our clean air and atmosphere! LOL Talk about an agenda. I am a proud member of P.E.T.A. = PEOPLE EATING TASTY ANIMALS    Your voice is the voice of reason and rational conversation! If I ever get a chance to visit Texas, would love to have a nice steak, libation and a cigar with you! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, MD Puffer said:

I'm the worst hypocrite when it comes to sleep hygiene.  It's one of the bread and butter issues I treat in my practice.  Yet I keep irregular hours which prevent me from falling asleep at a decent bedtime.  Interestingly enough, I had a finely honed sleep regimen in college at a time in my life when it seemed like all other aspects of my life lacked discipline.  I was able to fall asleep 5-10 minutes after getting into bed.  I tell all my insomniacs to do what I myself fail to do.  Since I don't have to work tomorrow, I'm pulling an "all nighter" and resetting the circadian clock.  I just need to hit my second wind around 9 am and fend off that tricky late afternoon nap and I should be able to effortlessly fall asleep at a normal bedtime in 16 hours.

On the other hand, with the wife and kid asleep, the weather being very mild with a gentle breeze, and a great nighttime panorama from my deck, I've had the time to smoke three cigars tonight completely undisturbed and in a very relaxed fashion.  Sooo, I'm either righting this ship or steering it directly into the eye of the storm.  Wish me luck- or don't - I haven't decided.  I think I'm going back outside with a Siglo III.

My ex used to gobble a few magnesium tablets before bed. Seemed to work for her.

17 minutes ago, NYgarman said:

On a lighter note, keep in mind some in our "land of the free" want to ban cows altogether, due to the flatulence destroying our clean air and atmosphere! LOL Talk about an agenda. I am a proud member of P.E.T.A. = PEOPLE EATING TASTY ANIMALS    Your voice is the voice of reason and rational conversation! If I ever get a chance to visit Texas, would love to have a nice steak, libation and a cigar with you! 

You would be most welcome! Nice 20oz ribeye, medium rare. And it helps with my low carb diet I'm on. Makers Mark and an 07 Siglo VI after. :2thumbs:

• Like 2

I have also considered CBD oil, anyone with experience with that?
I've started taking it recently since my brother makes it. I do think I get a better night's sleep when taking it before bed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

40 minutes ago, FatherOfPugs said:

Sounds good to me! If I'm ever in NY I'll let you know.

I was born and raised in upstate NY, but moved out years ago. Reside in tobacco friendly Virginia now. I loathe everything about New York state and my political views aren't welcome there!

• Like 4

I'm a retiree but work part-time at U.S. Census Bureau. My hours are 5pm to 10pm nightly.  I sleep pretty well when I get ready...somewhere between 2:45am and 4am.  Then up and at 'em anywhere between 10am and 12pm.  When I get to work which involves reading aerial maps for new growth and gone-growth between 10 year periods throughout the nation (which is very exciting) I do have to have this picture of myself at work for when the bosses come around: 

Sleep_Cost_Money_Business_031218-800x450.jpg

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, MD Puffer said:

I'm the worst hypocrite when it comes to sleep hygiene.  It's one of the bread and butter issues I treat in my practice.  Yet I keep irregular hours which prevent me from falling asleep at a decent bedtime.  Interestingly enough, I had a finely honed sleep regimen in college at a time in my life when it seemed like all other aspects of my life lacked discipline.  I was able to fall asleep 5-10 minutes after getting into bed.  I tell all my insomniacs to do what I myself fail to do.  Since I don't have to work tomorrow, I'm pulling an "all nighter" and resetting the circadian clock.  I just need to hit my second wind around 9 am and fend off that tricky late afternoon nap and I should be able to effortlessly fall asleep at a normal bedtime in 16 hours.

On the other hand, with the wife and kid asleep, the weather being very mild with a gentle breeze, and a great nighttime panorama from my deck, I've had the time to smoke three cigars tonight completely undisturbed and in a very relaxed fashion.  Sooo, I'm either righting this ship or steering it directly into the eye of the storm.  Wish me luck- or don't - I haven't decided.  I think I'm going back outside with a Siglo III.

Good luck!

I enjoyed reading your thoughts.  

Did you go back out with the Siglo III?

Which cigars were smoked?

I’m interested in your impressions on them as well, if it’s still on your mind.

HDM Epicure 2 after the boy went to sleep.  It's like desert.  Around midnightish I had a Oliva V Mellanio  figurado.  I don't get around to smoking the NCs much any more.  This one had been sitting in my humidor a couple of years and was the right smoke last night.  As the night progressed a fog came in.  I think the Oliva could tolerate the higher humidity better.  Smoked very nicely- it was nutty and more savory compared to the Epicure 2.  I did go out with the Siglo III and I regret it.   Had a plug at the head I just couldn't fully work out, and it lacked the creaminess and classic Cohiba flavor profile.  I was essentially smoking it in the fog so that's my guess as to why.  

Oh, and  I had a Monte 4 before the Siglo III and got an intermediate feel from it.  It wasn't like the Monte 4 I had the other day from the same box which was fantastic but it wasn't totally wasted like the Siglo either

• Thanks 1

@MD Puffer that's a serious maneuver to try and get back on track!  Hope it went well.  I don't really understand criticism of "sleep hygiene". I think good sleep practices are part of a healthy regimen (including diet, fitness, all that good stuff), and are a really smart preventative measure for more serious health conditions (to avoid medication, chronic dr. visits, etc.).  I too have a young child and a hectic job.  I try to stay regimented, but if I'm filming nights on a project or the little one is teething or whatever, things inevitably get thrown into disarray.  To try and avoid insomnia with an ever-changing schedule, I craft a consistent pre-bed routine (whenever that happens to be).  It includes the usual floss, brush teeth, other hygiene stuff, and also includes some reading and meditation. I take melatonin, but to avoid the groggy feeling in the AM, I take it several hours before I go to sleep.  There is nothing worse than being exhausted and finally getting a chance to sleep, but not being able to.  Happens to the best of us.  Sounds like outside of the siglo you enjoyed the smokes at least.  Hope you are back on track.

I have had insomnia for coming on two years.  

Each of us is physiologically unique so what works for me won't work for everyone and vice versa. 

I have recovered fully from the arrhythmia induced heart ailments of 20 months ago.  The medication has knocked me out of the park and out of sleep rhythm.  Getting it back has become the holy grail. 

What has helped:

• high dosage Magnesium/Potassium (essential elements).
  • Increase sodium (double recommended amount). 
  • Not having a cigar/coffee/booze within 4 hours of bed. 
  • Exercise 
  • Audible *

* I tried meditation. struggled. I implement it in my daily life but I haven't built it to be strong enough to counter insomnia as yet. 

I now download the most boring books (technical) from Audible. I use an earplug...put the book on low and press play. 

For 6 months I have been listening to a 48 chapter lecture series on the Roman empire.  It is groundhog day every day....I haven't got past chapter 2 as yet. I am asleep within 15 minutes each night. 

now staying there is another issue entirely!

My heart goes out to all those who suffer through it. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, FatherOfPugs said:

So now you're saying there is no such thing as Celiac's disease (an autoimmune disorder or gluten intolerance as you put it)? Food allergies? For one of the teams I coach, I have to carry around an Epi pen for a kid, because if he eats anything with peanuts in it, he goes into anaphylaxis, but I guess that's all made up right?  Wow.......you're a special kind aren't you. 

My smoking bud and me just discussed this very topic during a very very nice CORO from 08. We are both 62 years old. We both agreed that we never ever heard of or knew of anyone with a peanut allergy nor any of these common afflictions like Ciliac and even autism which is an absolute heartbreaker. Every  kid had a PB&J for lunch almost every day. As the CORO was so good we delved into it with our scientific minds . We theorized that it has to be something we are eating or in our environment. 

14 hours ago, smokum said:

My smoking bud and me just discussed this very topic during a very very nice CORO from 08. We are both 62 years old. We both agreed that we never ever heard of or knew of anyone with a peanut allergy nor any of these common afflictions like Ciliac and even autism which is an absolute heartbreaker. Every  kid had a PB&J for lunch almost every day. As the CORO was so good we delved into it with our scientific minds . We theorized that it has to be something we are eating or in our environment. 

I took up a lot of reading around the subject a couple of years back when a big double dose of antibiotics completely wiped out my stomach and any dairy/gluten and certain fruit/veg would leave me running for the bathroom and massive red rashes across my body. Many months later I stumbled on stuff about gut bacteria and how essential it is to everything in our body. Antibiotics wiped out mine and I've steadily built it back up to now I can have 80% of what I used to eat. 

But the reading hypothesised that the massive use of antibiotics in the meat industry and the total war we in modern life take to bugs in the kitchen etc with anti bacterial sprays, alcohol wipes has severely compromised a lot of people's gut bacteria leaving them with conditions that mean any stomach irritants such as gluten, dairy etc just push the body into massive inflammation in an attempt to control the irritation, then we wind up with the food intolerances we have.

I don't have the scientific background to critique the theory, but I can only say it's put me on the road to recovery. It seems to ring true though, a lot of the conditions appearing over the last few decades (Gluten intolerances etc, not autism) kind of coincide with the introduction of mass antibacterial and cleaning products use.

I see parents now that alcohol spray everything, hands included at picnics etc before food is touched. It was a quick wipe on the trousers when I was young

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, CaptainQuintero said:

I took up a lot of reading around the subject a couple of years back when a big double dose of antibiotics completely wiped out my stomach and add dairy/gluten and certain fruit/veg would leave me running for the bathroom and massive red rashes across my body. Many months later I stumbled on stuff about gut bacteria and hour essential it is to everything in our body. Antibiotics wiped out mine and I've steadily built it back up to now I can have 80% of what I used to. 

But the reading hypothesised that the massive use of antibiotics in the meat industry and the total war we in modern life take to bugs in the kitchen etc with anti bacterial sprays etc has severely compromised a lot of people's gut bacteria leaving them with conditions that mean any stomach irritants such at gluten, dairy etc just push the body into massive inflammation in an attempt to control the irritation, then we wind up with the food intolerances we have.

I don't have the scientific background to critique the theory, but I can only say it's put me on the road to recovery. It seems to ring true though, a lot of the conditions appearing over the last few decades (Gluten intolerances etc, not autism et Al) kind of coincide with the introduction of mass antibacterial and cleaning products use.

I see parents now that alcohol spray receiving, hands included at picnics etc before food is touched. It was a quick wipe on the trousers when I was young!

I’m no doctor or scientist either so I can’t say this is factual, but I can say I agree 100%.

Everything plays a role, but finding the root cause is difficult and essential (the overuse of antibiotics, living on processed foods, using grains for everything, artificial sweeteners, eating all processed fruits and veggies laden with acids and salt, using meds to treat symptoms instead of root causes, quarantining kids from dogs and cats, sugar consumption in processed foods, obesity, inactivity, stress, lack of quality sleep, etc, etc). Simply telling people to “suck it up” is not the answer. There can be natural allergies and intolerances... and physiological abnormalities. Certain medical issues can have the same root causes and be tied into one another. You can also have misdiagnosis by physicians, which fail to address the root causes. Honesty and compliance by the patient is just as important as the competency of the physician. Unfortunately, many of us fail to realize that meds and supplements cannot make up for proper diet, sleep, and lifestyle habits. I have severe issues with sinuses and sleep apnea, which was tied into reflux. Surgery was my only option after drastic weight loss and elimination of many foods from my diet. There are no such thing as quick fixes, and surgery is not always avoidable .... but quality sleep, stress management, and managing what goes in your mouth is crucial for best results.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, smokum said:

The obsession with Celiac is more of a fad than anything.  The prevalence of Celiac disease and other gluten-sensitive enteropathies is less than 1%.  Most people are followers by nature, so it's easy to market "gluten-free" on innumerable products and expect that large numbers of people who don't have a gluten-sensitive enteropathy will purchase it just because some good-looking celeb or "expert" has told them of the ill effects of gluten (even though we've been eating bread for millennia.)  It's gotten really quite ridiculous.  I've seen products that haven't changed in formulation that have just added "gluten-free" to the packaging.  On the flip side, I've been told (and I can only imagine) that traditional wheat-based products like bread and pasta that now have "gluten-free" versions taste like crap.  I ask about diet when I work up a new patient.  Over the past ten years, I've probably had at least a hundred tell me they "cut out gluten."  100% of the time I ask, "Were you diagnosed with Celiac disease or some other gluten-sensitive disease?"  Only once has any of my patients answered in the affirmative.  Most people stop eating gluten because it's currently trendy.  Most go back to gluten because it's sooooo good.  Incidentally, it's not a non-invasive path to the diagnosis.  You undergo an endoscopy (EGD) and the GI doc needs to obtain several biopsies. 

I'm not sure what prompted pediatricians years ago to advise parents to not let newborns and toddlers have peanut products.  Obviously, you would advise new parents not to allow any newborn or toddler without teeth to have whole peanuts as it's a choking hazard.  Maybe it stemmed from there?  Regardless, there is an association with a delayed exposure to peanut products (as in 2yrs old or later in life) and an increase in the rate of peanut allergies.  In other words, the older you are the first time you have a peanut-based product the higher your risk for developing a peanut allergy.  Consequently, the AAP now advises parents of newborns to allow babies to have peanut butter at 4 months (obviously not a PB&J sandwich, but you take some peanut butter and mix it with warm water or milk and make a slurry).  I was giving my boy tastes of peanut butter at 3 months.  The kid lives on PB&J now.  

There is some debate about the incidence of autism rising.  Increasing parental age may be a factor.  However, the periodic change in the diagnostic criterion has undoubtedly played a major role.  Whereas autism was thought of a profoundly debilitating at one time, it now exists on a spectrum in terms of symptoms and one can be highly functional in many respects.  I know a neurologist who has "Asperger's."  That classification no longer exists- they're doing away with eponyms in general (one reason is because of the war crimes by the guy who discovered Reiter's Syndrome), and mainly because they lumped it in with all others diagnosed with autism (autism spectrum disorder or ASD).  So doctors change the diagnostic criteria because over time they realize autism has a wide range in severity and functional impairment, researchers fasten onto such statistics in their publications which are necessary for grant funding, tenure, etc., and the media then takes that statistic (out of context) and tells you the rate of autism is increasing (either out of ignorance or sensationalism).

Sounds like that CoRo was a hell of a smoke!

• Like 1

Sleep apnea has been around as long as any other ailment, but just wasn't recognized.  Suffers just lived with it.  Stories on snoring go back as far as stories are recorded.  These conditions were just accepted as a normal way of life.  Think of everything else that humans suffered with that has been cured, reduced, or alleviated today.  We lived that for 1,000's of years!

• 1 year later...
On 2/15/2019 at 9:56 AM, wineguy said:

I have also considered CBD oil, anyone with experience with that?

On 2/15/2019 at 9:55 AM, wineguy said:

Have been trying 10mg. of melatonin lately but have the same morning lag that you mentioned.  Maybe its the scotch I wash it down with.... Whether I take depends on what is happening the next day.  If I have to be on point early in the day, I am better with less sleep that groggy.....

10 mg of melitonin is way too much for me. I use 1 mg and find it helps me get to sleep. I'm not a fan of CBD oil or cream. It's expensive and I don't think it does a damn thing.

• 5 months later...

A lot of people don't understand how important is sleep hygiene. I didn't know how many parasites and bacteria live in our mattresses, pillows, and blankets. My friend is PoliceMan. He is like a detective. Once he was at my home and we were speaking about hygiene. He was saying that the place where we sleep is very dirty and we need to change once in five years the mattress, blankets, and pillow. I said that this is absurd because all we need is to wash them often. He went to his car and got a special UltraViolet hand lamp. I was shocked at how dirty it was.

I have trouble sleeping too. I have been on CPAP for 11 years. I'm in shape, not overweight at all, but the obstruction is there when my body relaxes to sleep so I am grateful for the air blower. Believe me, it sucks to deal with but it beats feeling like warm death from poor sleep.

I have found the combo of melatonin and Valerian root and hour before bed, a hot shower and a cold dark room work best for me. I wear a device for fitness called a Whoop. It's the most accurate on the market, especially measuring the quality of the sleep I'm getting. Good info and feedback are vital to knowing when i have lots of fuel or not much when i wake up to take on the day

• 6 months later...