Xikar cigar cutter - further travails

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Maybe Xikar have concentrated their efforts onto their premium products since changing ownership? I can attest that the XO cutter is by far the best cutter I've ever owned. It's costly and only about

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Palio cutter, by a mile the best cutter I've used, lifetime guarantee (You won't need to use it) and relatively cheap. I'm a decade in on mine and still as good

I have always bought Xikar cutters and lighters, and never had problems. Customer service has always been great to me if I needed to use the warranty. I also prefer the Xikar V cutter over the Colibri

Sad to hear about Xikar. I’ve sent a few lighters back and always had a follow up “we received it, here’s the issue” emails within a week, and never waited more than three weeks for it to be back in hand....   Sent my last one in November of 18.   I guess I may be in for different service if I have to again....   ?

I wouldn't so quickly give up on Xikar without giving them, their new owner, or whomever the case, a chance to serve you personally.

Anyway, I like a good cut.  In my 15+ years of cutting cigars, I've become an expert at wasting money on cutters.  It's embarrassing.  I like to think that I've matured, because at this point I have thrown form and style completely out the window.  Function it is.  These are the winners.  I don't particularly LIKE scissor cutters, but my two Xikars are the best cutters that I employ.  Both of them work as well as they day I first unfolded them.  One of them has been going strong for nearly ten years.  After that is the Cuban Crafters Perfect.  Inexpensive, not at all impressive, and blows the rest of the dual blades away, imo.  I thew the rest of my cutters away, long ago.

8H90K5x.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I still have my trusty 10 year old Palio cutter. Only recently did the slide become sticky and stiff, so I popped it into a container with boiling hot water. After a good long soak, I found little bits of tobacco at the bottom of the container. Dried the cutter and check the slide. All nice and smooth slide action again.

• Like 3

On Friday, February 15, 2019 at 5:33 PM, CaptainQuintero said:

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Palio cutter, by a mile the best cutter I've used, lifetime guarantee (You won't need to use it) and relatively cheap. I'm a decade in on mine and still as good as when I first got it.

I like the credo 3 in 1 punch, but the super cheapo ones seem to do the same job but blunt quickly

Most of the time now I use the big tabletop quad blade kerchunker that Lawrence Sautter made famous, that thing will last my grandkids out!

Palio used to be great for the money.  Ever sine they changed ownership they are not as good. If you think you have a orginal cutter

just check the side of the cutter were the Palio logo is.  It used to be a horse rearing up, now it just says Palio and as I said I think the new ones are

well below the orginals in quality.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, kuma said:

Palio used to be great for the money.  Ever sine they changed ownership they are not as good. If you think you have a orginal cutter

just check the side of the cutter were the Palio logo is.  It used to be a horse rearing up, now it just says Palio and as I said I think the new ones are

well below the orginals in quality.

Ah, sad to hear. Lucky I got mine back in the day I guess. They were excellent pieces of kit, not sure why someone would come in and mess about with a successful product.

Thanks for all the input chaps.

Update on the current situation:

1) one month and counting that Xikar M8 was returned for warranty replacement. Still not completed. According to them they are currently swamped with returns. Furthermore, the practice going forward is that the product has to be registered for warranty coverage and returned to them. We shall see how that ultimately works out.

2) A number of the recommendations are difficult to obtain in Canada.

3) The selection chosen is as follows:

Colibri V-cut. Good solid feel and efficient. I have tried both "V" and "X" cut. I have tried it robustos and torpedos - we shall see on smaller/thinner vitolas. Certainly has a different mouth feel from the standard cut. In the back of my mind - debate whether the SV cut would be a "better' alternative.

Cuban Cigar Cutter: on it's way from FLA. We shall when it arrives. Figured I should have a couple in case of a back up required (not knowing when the prodigal Xikar will return).

Although the Xikar MTX (multi-tool) was a tempting alternative- particularly liked the idea of the open blade that could be sharpened: 1) it is a Xikar; 2) more difficult to source in Canada.

• Like 1

And here is my update.

It has been almost 2 months since I sent my lighter in for repair.  After endless emails, I started calling.  But they never answer the phone or return messages.  This of course is quality importers, not xikar.   Eventually I got pissed off and called as a vendor, as those calls are still being routed to Xikar (St. Louis location).  I explained my situation and why I pretended to be a vendor just so someone would answer a phone call.  They told an upper level manager would call me from the Miami location.  Surprisingly they did.   But they blamed Xikar for all their problems.  They claimed they haven't received a single lighter from them until today.  I actually believe this.   They said the lighters were poorly shipped but they would express out a lighter to me.  From what I gathered, Xikar employees are pissed off from job losses happening in St. Louis.  I get people being pissed off and hating the company that bought them.  It happened to me and I was less than nice to the purchasing company.

However, Quality Importers hasn't shipped a single replacement lighter since taking over on 1/1 (odd that QI was honest and told me that).  They have handled the situation poorly.  The main lady dealing with exchanges, Alex(andria) R. was rude, and lied to me over and over.

So that is what we have.  Nothing but trouble for 2 straight months.  2 companies pointing fingers at each other and intentionally making things difficult on each other.  I was not satisfied with how things went, how they were "supposedly" resolved today and will not buy from them again.  Xikar is no more, at least as a quality company.

1 hour ago, targa88 said:

Colibri V-cut. Good solid feel and efficient. I have tried both "V" and "X" cut. I have tried it robustos and torpedos - we shall see on smaller/thinner vitolas.

Try it on some thin RG cigars! I have come to love the preservation of the rounded part of the cap on perlas and mareva/PC class vitolas...on two sides at least.

A similar presentation to a punched head. but with a larger open area.

Smoking a Parti E2 V cut right now. Perfect for this!

I too am a master at wasting money on stupid cutters but the Colibri V cut was one of my few wiser selections.

Credo scissors are also quite functional on a wide range of vitolas, if a bit more fidgety.

Colibri V cutter was life changing. Never use any of my straight cutters anymore. 

Thanks to this thread I just got one LOL. It cuts even deeper than the Xikar V-cut and I prefer the squeeze trigger action of the Xikar but it sure is sharp and solidly built. Let’s see how it holds up to my daily 2 cigars over time.

For $31.99 on Amazon, I’m definitely not complaining.

On 2/16/2019 at 6:48 AM, Jimmy_jack said:

Truth be told I'm not concerned about a cutter. When I'm home though, I like my Christmas gift very much.

e08da8ac15c664ad225411597f44c9d2.thumb.jpg.dfbb32d70ff81a036e9731c7f3763084.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

I use one of these daily, left it outside for a year (still used daily) when I first got it and the blade went rusty, took it to bits and it is just a super cheap blade been angle grinded to fit the mechanism.  Still, I cleaned it up, whet stoned the blade and been going strong for years now.  Probably due another birthday as it does like to leave a little behind now and again.  Love it though. 

• Like 1

Final update.

After some indecision.

I have to say that I am pleasantly surprised with the Colibri V-cut. Super clean cut on various vitolas. Really like the heft and feel of this.

Less impressed with the Cuban cigar cutter. Not as smooth/efficient.

On the Xikar front.

Finally escalated my complaint to Quality importers. Managed to speak with the warranty manager. The replacement has been shipped along with a tracking number.

As further information. They have initiated an RMA (return merchandize authorization) system to track all returns. Which according to them will provide a database of information around what issues occur (and can be tracked). Their goal is to improve the overall process. Might give them so insight in manufacturing quality (QC) .

21 minutes ago, targa88 said:

As further information. They have initiated an RMA (return merchandize authorization) system to track all returns. Which according to them will provide a database of information around what issues occur (and can be tracked). Their goal is to improve the overall process. Might give them so insight in manufacturing quality (QC) .

Ha ha, what a joke.  This company is getting much worse, not better.  Still no returned lighter.  Getting close to week 9.  Still getting the run around about supply issues.  Promises of shipment dates.  All I get is finger pointing and excuses.  I will never buy anything from this joke of a company again.

"Improve" the process.  Still laughing.  I guess that is what turning a 3 week quick process into a 9+ week nightmare is called now?  An "improvement".   Unreal.

Anger pointed at Xikar/Quality Importers, not Targa88! :)

On 2/15/2019 at 3:31 PM, Monterey said:

Xikar used to be a good company.  They were recently purchased and they have gone straight down hill.  I sent my lighter in for repair 2 months ago.  They agreed it was broken and that it would have to be replaced, but they don't have any lighters to replace it with.  A lighter company doesn't have lighters?  They expected to get them in today, but now I'm told that it will be another month.  Instead of being decent about it, they cut off communication and I have no idea what is going on.  I will be lucky to get my lighter back in 3 months.

Shame, they used to be such a good company.   Time to move on.

I’m having a similar experience.  My xikar cutters and lighters are well used and I’ve sent them in for sharpening/repair a number of times previously (years ago) and the service was fast and good.  Recently I sent a broken lighter, a quad torch that only 3 of the 4 flames worked, and a cutter that needed sharpening 6 weeks ago and haven’t heard a thing from them yet

You won't get anywhere calling them direct.  Call the number and select the option for "retailer".  The call will be routed to Xikar (not quality importer)  tell them you would like to speak with "Anthony" the returns manager.   He will call you back.   Alex(andria) is a useless doorstop and that is the only way to get past useless info.

4 hours ago, Eric E said:

I sent my cutter in last month. All I have gotten is an email saying they received it. I’m not worried enough about it to get on the phone, but I will post back here when I get it (or its replacement) back. 

Please do.  I sent a request this morning for the manager to give me a call today.  Should be a fun call.

I have two Xikar lighters, honestly i don't think they work any better than any other lighter. They look good but that's about it. I'm done with expensive lighters. I now use an Iroda torch and i am pleased with it. As for cutters, i use the Cuban Crafters perfect cutter and it works great. I also have two Palios but don't like them and never use them.

• Like 1

I have two Xikar lighters, honestly i don't think they work any better than any other lighter. They look good but that's about it. I'm done with expensive lighters. I now use an Iroda torch and i am pleased with it. As for cutters, i use the Cuban Crafters perfect cutter and it works great. I also have two Palios but don't like them and never use them.

I’ve been buying up every NOS DuPont x-tend on eBay under $100 that I come across - I have enough to last me decades now ;)

Another week has gone by with another week of lies and broken promises.  Still nothing but finger pointing and excuses.  It has been 9 weeks.  I laugh at the person claiming improved processes under the new company.    The new company claims they got all the stock in 8 days ago, yet they still can't ship out lighters? 

They clearly don't care about their customers or future sales.

• 2 weeks later...

As an update, I received my cutter yesterday. Actually, I received a new cutter as a replacement. Right at 4 weeks from door to door.

i am going to send in a second one for sharpening next week.