Encuentro Partagas 2019 dates...

I went ahead and reached out to Odalys over at Partagas, via email, to inquire about dates for this year's events. That's the good news.

The iffy news... The week of November 25-29. Yeah you guessed it, Black Friday and its lesser known companion THANKSGIVING! I brought it to her attention. I said this might affect North American attendance. She replied, we had to change our dates due to the celebration of Havana turning 500. I think Havana's 500 year anniversary trumps our turkey and pumpkin pie. 

Will you attend? Will this require a hall pass? Will you have to preemptively donate a kidney to your spouse or someone in her family? Can you show up to Thanksgiving via WhatsApp video chat? All important questions!

Cheers,

Javi

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, ElJavi76 said:

I went ahead and reached out to Odalys over at Partagas, via email, to inquire about dates for this year's events. That's the good news.

The iffy news... The week of November 25-29. Yeah you guessed it, Black Friday and its lesser known companion THANKSGIVING! I brought it to her attention. I said this might affect North American attendance. She replied, we had to change our dates due to the celebration of Havana turning 500. I think Havana's 500 year anniversary trumps our turkey and pumpkin pie. 

Will you attend? Will this require a hall pass? Will you have to preemptively donate a kidney to your spouse or someone in her family? Can you show up to Thanksgiving via WhatsApp video chat? All important questions!

Cheers,

Javi

I think @Ryan had advanced this to us some weeks ago, not sure about the days, I think he mentioned 18-22.

25-29 is ok to me.

29 minutes ago, Chef said:

What event is this?

It´s an event in Havana every november.

"The “Partagás” week more than event it has become a friendly meeting that gathers all Habanos lovers around the world, once a year in Havana, for exchanging news and information, knowing about new products or just simply to spend a nice time together and smoking a good cigar."

6 minutes ago, oliverdst said:

I think @Ryan had advanced this to us some weeks ago, not sure about the days, I think he mentioned 18-22.

25-29 is ok to me.

I'd love to see a printed flyer to lay the uncertainty to rest... But Odalys is pretty close to the action over at Partagas. I don't think she would throw dates around haphazardly. Then again... It's Cuba! 

For anyone wondering... Upon a little more research. Habana turns 500 officially on November 16, 2019. Hence why it's likely they pushed this out a week. There are a bunch of cultural events planned for this anniversary. This might be more fun than the Encuentro. 

On 2/19/2019 at 11:59 PM, ElJavi76 said:

For anyone wondering... Upon a little more research. Habana turns 500 officially on November 16, 2019. Hence why it's likely they pushed this out a week. There are a bunch of cultural events planned for this anniversary. This might be more fun than the Encuentro. 

And it's a Saturday too...oh boy. Wonder if this would be worth being in Havana for? May have to book right now lol

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

There was a message from Grecia Quinones, manager at Partagas, that the dates are 18-22.

I had been told two weeks ago by Heriberto that the dates were 25-29. Thanksgiving probably pushed it back.

18-22 will clash with the celebrations of the 16th though.

I emailed Odalys earlier today and I told her about the 18-22 dates and she agreed that those were the current dates. It's like a bad news bears game of scheduling this thing. I'm going to assume this is their last change....

For now ?

36 minutes ago, ElJavi76 said:

I emailed Odalys earlier today and I told her about the 18-22 dates and she agreed that those were the current dates. It's like a bad news bears game of scheduling this thing. I'm going to assume this is their last change....

For now ?

Lol!  Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

Any update on the dates for the Encuentro ?

Anyone going to the 500th anniversary instead ? Would you think there might be any "security risk" going to the 500th since there will be a LOT of people there and in the streets ?

I've never been to any festival and want to go with my best friend as a guy's trip. As the Encuentro is more relaxed from what I've read than the Habanos festival, sounds more fun, but when I look at last year's program, besides gala dinners, there's not much there...I've been to Cuba a few times before, so doing touristy things isn't what I'm looking for. Wanna experience Havana life, nightlife, visit the casas and a factory if I can. So if the 500th will be a better time for a quick vacation and to "party" than the Encuentro, might be something to consider.

Any advice ? Thanks !

1 hour ago, tempbond said:

Anyone going to the 500th anniversary instead ? Would you think there might be any "security risk" going to the 500th since there will be a LOT of people there and in the streets ?

I've never been to any festival and want to go with my best friend as a guy's trip. As the Encuentro is more relaxed from what I've read than the Habanos festival, sounds more fun, but when I look at last year's program, besides gala dinners, there's not much there...I've been to Cuba a few times before, so doing touristy things isn't what I'm looking for. Wanna experience Havana life, nightlife, visit the casas and a factory if I can. So if the 500th will be a better time for a quick vacation and to "party" than the Encuentro, might be something to consider.

Any advice ? Thanks !

I have booked Nov 11-19 with some friends to take advantage of both the 500th anniversary, and the opening night for the Partagas Encuentro (if it is on the Monday).  I much prefer the opening evening to the rest of the scheduled events during the week. 

I am not concerned about any "security risk"  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tempbond said:

Any advice ? Thanks !

I am reconsidering if I am really not going. Dates so close will result in some downsides IMO (higher prices in restaurants, less hotels/casas available, less "hard to find" cigars in the shops...) but on the hand maybe it will be interesting to be in Plaza de la Revolución during festivities.

I always attend welcome dinner. Some friends say the Wednesday/Thursday events are fun. To do those days won't hurt and you will make new friends. It's not a bad ideia.

Good point about parties during anniversary week but unless you have some connections to go to invitation only events, you will be in the same bars that people go throughout the year.

49 minutes ago, MrGinger said:

I have booked Nov 11-19 with some friends to take advantage of both the 500th anniversary, and the opening night for the Partagas Encuentro (if it is on the Monday).  I much prefer the opening evening to the rest of the scheduled events during the week. 

I am not concerned about any "security risk"  

Welcome dinner usually on Tuesday.

17 minutes ago, oliverdst said:

So is there any chance this year be on Monday?

No idea.  Nothing surprises me in Cuba. Those are the dates that worked best for me. That is why I said  "(if it is on the Monday)".  As I mentioned before, my primary goal is to be there for the 500th.

Monday has been used to be the accreditation day. I would like to have events on Monday but as the Encuentro Partagás is getting bigger and bigger they can't have accreditation and dinner in the same day I guess.

Maybe if the accreditation was during the prior weekend this could work.